Author Topic: The popular vote  (Read 918 times)

Offline ChuckJ

The popular vote
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
Many libs are consoling themselves somewhat with the thought that Hillary won the popular vote, but I have to wonder if only legitimate votes were tallied how the popular vote would shake out. I'm sure that thanks to the dems' attempt at shutting down any efforts to prevent the dead voting, illegals voting, and multiple voters it would be difficult to determine legitimate voters.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: The popular vote
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »
I'd suggest that one would have to look closely at the big, blue states - like California. Since it wasn't considered 'in play', its the perfect place to pad popular vote totals, as nobody is going to want to invest any money in figuring out an already evident result. - That [DEMOCRAT] won [OFFICE], as expected - by a wide margin. - the same with New York, Massachusetts, etc etc.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »
As close as it is there is no way to know what the actual final outcome would be.
It would take months to do recounts in all 50 states to sort out.
Yes,it is pretty even but is what is and for all the sobbing today a week ago if one suggested that Trump might win the popular vote but lose the Electoral College due to California,New York (presumed) Pennsylvania and Michigan everyone on the left would shrug and applaud.

Response by MadLinguist

Angry in many directions. At people who fail to realize that voting is a strategic exercise in a crowded complex world, not some form of self expression, at people who bond over hatred, at people being sucked into fear, at our massively dysfunctional election system. On & on mad.

But ok, just shaming, shouting and not listening will just grow the genie of fear bigger and further incentivize more of the same. After talking with cooler-headed friends and co-workers and family, I am trying to persuade myself that our jobs now will be to stand up and express ourselves, not letting morally outrageous talk and behavior pass unchallenged.

But... I am unsure that I will be able to have the energy to keep an open mind to some of what we have seen demonstrated during this hellish campaign, and what I believe has now been validated on the public stage as laudable. Maybe it's arrogant of me, but I feel that there are some people whose opinions and feelings I just don't want to waste my precious time and energy on. Convincing some racist that we're all God's children (or however it would have to be pitched) is going to have to be assigned to someone else.

I would far rather throw myself into dismantling the electoral system we have. Instituting an all-state proportional count, so that everybody's vote would actually count, *THAT* I could work on. Most of us live in states where our vote (at least at the top of the ticket) does not matter. The electoral votes of that state are predictably red or predictably blue, and the state votes cast are winner take all. We behave in relation to that reality when casting our votes. What I believe is that our behaviors would be totally different if, instead of winner take all, the electoral votes of each state were given in proportion to the popular vote tally within the state. Our whole way of thinking of ourselves in relation to the exercise of voting would shift because our one little vote would have the power to give a tiny little push of the needle, it would count!

And in consequence, the campaigns would need to function very differently. And as a result of these two differences, the purveyors of news, political opinion and the like would have to function differently too. Casting around for a way to join with anybody that believes this is a goal worth committing themselves to. Its a seriously complex question of how to transform from the system we have now to a system of state-by-state proportional vote counting. All states would need to be in on it.

This is the idiocy of the left,the Electoral College right now grants them a 84-100 vote head start.
Dismantle it and look at the map,the mutts would never see the White House again.  :rotf:

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »
The libs constantly get engaged into this "let's get rid of the EC" nonsense talk when it's a dead-end road. It was specifically set up that way so the larger population States couldn't rule over the smaller population States. The idea that the less population States would give that up is a waste of time, but I suppose it keeps libs busy discussing that instead of out molesting children or whatever other things they do with their spare time, so the topic does serve that purpose.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »
I like the recent World Series analogy regarding this popular vote assertion from the unhinged left...

Should the Cleveland Indians be co-Champions since they scored just as many runs over the seven game series as the Chicago Cubs?

The obvious answer is "No"

Just another example of the left thinking the rule of law doesn't apply to them
Deplorable since 2016

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
As close as it is there is no way to know what the actual final outcome would be.
It would take months to do recounts in all 50 states to sort out.
Yes,it is pretty even but is what is and for all the sobbing today a week ago if one suggested that Trump might win the popular vote but lose the Electoral College due to California,New York (presumed) Pennsylvania and Michigan everyone on the left would shrug and applaud.

This is the idiocy of the left,the Electoral College right now grants them a 84-100 vote head start.
Dismantle it and look at the map,the mutts would never see the White House again.  :rotf:

Good point, Carl. 

It's my understanding that several states don't bother tallying certain ballots such as absentee or early votes if the margin of victory on election day exceeds the number of ballots cast early/absentee/etc.  So, no, we don't know if Hildabeast won the popular vote.  But you DUmmies don't seem to be too concerned about circumventing the system in trying to petition  the EC to vote for Cankles McLaughingbeast anyways, now do you?

Let's do it by congressional district like NE and ME do it.  It's "fair", and DUmmies love "fair" (unless it doesn't benefit them).  For those who enjoy playing with scenarios, enjoy this allocating map and you'll see what Carl is talking about.  Just tick the drop down box down to Congressional district popular or majority, and see what happens, even in "wave" years like 2008. 

http://www.270towin.com/alternative-electoral-college-allocation-methods/

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:38:52 AM by BattleHymn »

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
I like the recent World Series analogy regarding this popular vote assertion from the unhinged left...

Should the Cleveland Indians be co-Champions since they scored just as many runs over the seven game series as the Chicago Cubs?

The obvious answer is "No"

Just another example of the left thinking the rule of law doesn't apply to them

I used the same analogy with a liberal on facebook who was jumping up and down about the popular vote, but I did it in simple terms even a liberal could understand.

Cleveland and Chicago are in the world series. the first team to win 4 games (states) wins, regardless of the number of runs (votes) scored. IF we went to a most runs (votes) scored wins the series, imagine this. the series is 7 games long period. Cleveland wins the first game 10-0 so cleveland has 10 votes. Chicago wins the remaining 6 games 1-0. Cleveland lost 6 of 7 games (states), yet outscored chicago 10-6 (votes). Cleveland wins the series. So, do you prefer games won or runs scored?

I never got an answer to that.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
They still can`t understand that the House vote is a local election with districts of pretty equal numbers all across the country.
It means nothing if leftist strangle holds in the cities turn out a massive number of dumbocrat votes.
It simply wins that district and never was intended to be a national count.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 11:16:48 AM »
I used the same analogy with a liberal on facebook who was jumping up and down about the popular vote, but I did it in simple terms even a liberal could understand.

Cleveland and Chicago are in the world series. the first team to win 4 games (states) wins, regardless of the number of runs (votes) scored. IF we went to a most runs (votes) scored wins the series, imagine this. the series is 7 games long period. Cleveland wins the first game 10-0 so cleveland has 10 votes. Chicago wins the remaining 6 games 1-0. Cleveland lost 6 of 7 games (states), yet outscored chicago 10-6 (votes). Cleveland wins the series. So, do you prefer games won or runs scored?

I never got an answer to that.
Another apt sports analogy is match play in golf.  In 18 holes of match play,  one could conceivably lose six holes by 3 shots on each, but only be 6 holes down, rather than 18 strokes.  Then, the golfer who is 6 down can win the match by winning 7 other holes by 1 shot on each.

Simple for golf purposes, so hope that wasn't too complicated for non golf fans.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »
Another thing about the popular vote:

Absentee votes.  Unless the margin of victory, in a State, is less than the number of Absentee Ballots cast, they are not counted.  Absentee votes historically run 66/67 to 33/34 Republican.  If they were all tallied, even in KKKalifornia, the Republican would pick up a very sizable amount of the popular vote when the national margin is 200K, or less.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
I find some amusement that the party who wailed and gnashed their teeth at Trump because he wouldn't immediately state he would accept the result of this election with being certain it was fair and accurate first is now looking for a loophole to install Hillary through.

She lost. That's all there is to it. To you lurkers - This website has nearly every post made since its inception available. I made sure to preserve as much of the original site as possible after it was knocked offline in 2014 by a DDoS so hard, it resulted in corrupting the data.

Sign up, use the search function. Go back to when Obama won both his 1st and 2nd terms. Compare the way we reacted then to the way you are now. We didn't riot, and beat up people for voting the wrong way.    We didn't rob stores, burn flags, and set property on fire. We didn't spray-paint graffiti all over the place.

Yet somehow, we are the neanderthals...

Grow up, learn from your mistakes, and work to develop a party platform that people approve of, and run candidates that people are willing to vote for. It's as simple as that.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
Not quite the same thing, but still relevant.

I remember how the primitives bitched and moaned.....

As of today

Total DEM votes for House of Representatives: 55,429,936

Total REP votes for House of Representatives: 59,328,624

REP lead of 3,898,688

There were 29 REPs who ran unopposed and 35 DEMs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oArjXSYeg40u4qQRR93qveN2N1UELQ6v04_mamrKg9g/edit#gid=0

from the Cook Political Report; it's an Excel worksheet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
For leftists "fair" = "they win", nothing more, nothing less.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
Just ask a liberal if they thought Hillary was running her campaign to win the popular vote. The obvious answer is that no, she was not. (And if she was running to win the polular vote then she is too stupid to be president.)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
For leftists "fair" = "they win", nothing more, nothing less.

First I have seen you post since the election although may have missed some.
Got to say that when you were predicting a decisive victory I was a bit skeptical about how not close it would be even though I was pretty sure there was a good chance of a win.

You nailed it!  :cheersmate: