Author Topic: primitives discuss what's for supper tonight  (Read 1127 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss what's for supper tonight
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/115725055

Oh my.

Her Ladyship Lu fell down on the job again; someone else had to do it.

NJCher (15,350 posts)    Mon Apr 22, 2013, 03:09 PM

What's for Dinner, Mon., April 22

Greetings, everyone,

I'm making white bean soup recipe from this cookbook:

On the side, a big green salad with red, yellow, and green peppers, cucumbers, celery, and homemade French dressing.

Fruit salad for dessert, along with an apple cinnamon cookie.

Pro'lly a little white wine.

Texasgal (13,078 posts)    Mon Apr 22, 2013, 06:21 PM

1. Tonight it's stuffed baked portabello mushrooms, large salad and garlic bread!

Desert will be some cinnamon honey muffins I made earlier today.

Your soup sounds wonderful! I've never had white bean soup before! Enjoy!

You know, something needs done about the cooking and baking forum; Lu's gotta go.

Of course, much of the current unaction in that forum is because the cbayer primitive and her eccentric English husband are on a road trip, but even when the cbayer was around, bravely pulling far more than her own weight, the cooking and baking forum was barely dragging along.

- - - - - - - - - -

This is of paramount importance--a healthy, vibrant, active cooking and baking forum--because it's from that forum which Top DUmmies and PoP (primitives of prominence) first emerged.

There's notable exceptions, of course--Atman, the big guy in Bellevue, the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher--who came into stardom through other forums on Skins's island, but on the whole, it seems at least half of the featured primitives were first spotted in the cooking and baking forum, even if they might've gained their fame later in another forum.

I consider the cooking and baking forum the same as that one drugstore on a street-corner in Hollywood, where many starlets were first discovered working as soda jerks.

- - - - - - - - - -

There's no doubt that old Lu is an improvement over the mean bitter hateful hippywife primitive, Mrs. Alfred Packer, who left because hippyhubby Wild Bill was jealous of the attention she was giving the primitives, attention he thought he deserved.

But still, better could've been done, a different hostess of the forum.

Her Ladyship Lu shows up once a day, for about two minutes, to light a "what's for supper?" campfire, and then leaves, because she's too high and mighty to socialize with, engage with, the other primitives.

If any of the moderators of the DUmpster had a tenth of the aloofness and standoffishness old Lu has, we'd be chopped liver, not moderators any more.  Flung out onto the streets.

Of course, old Lu is also hostess of the sorcery and witchcraft forum on Skins's island, but she hardly shows up there either.

A typical Democrat, old Lu; wants the high title but not the responsibilities.

- - - - - - - - - -

The ideal hostess would be the cbayer primitive, who really cares, and who enthusiastically intercourses with the other primitives, but she got so much flak from ungrateful primitives when she was moderator on the old DU, that one wouldn't blame her if she turned it down.

If any primitive knows what asses the primitives are, the cbayer primitive does.

- - - - - - - - - -

One recalls that when the new DU was being set up, the now-mausoleumed HopeHoops primitive vigorously campaigned for the job as host of the cooking and baking forum; greeted every primitive, shook every primitive hand, smooched every primitive cheek, in his campaign.

But as he wasn't part of the hippywife clique, he never stood a chance.

Well, the HopeHoops primitive was kicked off of Skins's island for referring to women's personal items in unflattering terms.  He did come back under another name, though, and tried to seduce the subway cat, the undergroundpanther primitive, and got banned again.

Given the languid state of the cooking and baking forum, I think my fellow alum Skins should consider letting the HopeHoops primitive come back, so as to reinvigorate the forum; he could probably even persuade the subway cat to hang around there, which would surely enliven it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Firekrakka

Re: primitives discuss what's for supper tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
On the side, a big green salad with red, yellow, and green peppers, cucumbers, celery, and homemade French dressing.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rabbit food. Oh the horror.

Gimme a nice juicy steak.  :cheersmate:

Getting older is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Offline Dori

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
I'm cooking tacos.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »
I'm having pork in honor of the dead muslim that was run over by his own flesh and blood after being shot up by Boston's finest last week.

Roast in Hell, asshole. :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »
I'm glad I don't have to eat with the hateful old bats in the cooking group.

Tonight we had honey-mustard glazed broiled salmon.

That bean soup sounds sickening.

Does HopeHoops have a neckbeard?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »
Does HopeHoops have a neckbeard?
HopeHoops is more likey to masturbate into your soup than anything else.  I doubt he knows how to cook.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »
The OP's dinner sounds like a fartstorm. 

During a recent stroll through the DUmp's kitchen, I selected some tasty recipes.  Want to see?

Yellerpup (10,383 posts)
6. Tilapia, dry rubbed with salt, pepper, tumeric, and curry powder.

Sauteed in coconut oil until fragrant and brown then removed and set aside while I stirred in several cloves of fresh garlic, a half cup of coconut milk, a tsp. or two of Asian fish sauce and two cups of washed and thinly sliced Swiss chard and stir over medium until greens are cooked to taste, add a little more coconut milk (if desired) and return filets to the pan to reheat. Serve over rice with a diced avocado drenched in fresh lime juice on the side or as a salsa.

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 07:17 PM
 GoCubsGo (12,776 posts)
3. Quinoa tabouli with chickpeas.

Good thing it's really good, because I'll be eating it all week.

pinto (97,465 posts)
1. Vegetable stroganoff. 
Sauteed onions, mushrooms, zucchini, cabbage, garlic. Simmered in sour cream, thickened with some corn starch and milk. Black pepper, paprika, some thyme. Over egg noodles.

freshwest (29,554 posts)
6. A can of green beans and a veggie marsala entree on sale.

It has some sort of lima bean mixture that make chunks like chicken with cauliflower, shredded carrots, a few green peas, brown rice and a nice indian marsala sauce.

:drool:   Mmmmmm...vegetable matter slop. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
During a recent stroll through the DUmp's kitchen, I selected some tasty recipes.  Want to see?

Well, this morning (Tuesday morning), her Ladyship Lu condescended to light the "what's for supper" campfire for the day, and mentioned she's in the mood for Mexican.

Old Lu's getting rather loquacious, adding that last statement. 

But I'll bet that last night before Bill went to work on the night shift at the sawmill, she fixed him his usual, liverwurst sandwiches on white bread, wrapped in waxed paper, along with a big slab of Limburger cheese, and putting them in his lunch bucket, an old Karo syrup can with a handle.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
Well, her Ladyship Lu fell down on the job again.

The daily "what's for supper?" thread was just posted--in late afternoon, several hours overdue--but not by old Lu, who apparently thinks that as hostess of the cooking and baking forum, she can just sit on her queenly rear all day long without doing anything to help the forum along.

If we moderators here in the DUmpster were a tenth as lazy as Lu, we'd be out of our jobs in no time flat.

NJCher (15,353 posts)   Wed Apr 24, 2013, 04:42 PM

What's for Dinner, Wed., April 24

My spouse made this fabulous sausage/corn dish. He used fresh corn. It also has Portuguese white bread in it, which has soaked up all the delicious juices. The bread is topped with some type of cheese--don't know what kind, but whatever it is, it's good.

I can hardly wait for dinner!

And I have a tossed green salad with French dressing that I made myself.

Dessert will be chocolate biscotti and iced coffee.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/115725108
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Firekrakka

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
The bread is topped with some type of cheese--don't know what kind, but whatever it is, it's good.

Could ask? Unless the spouse is made up.

Getting older is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »
My spouse made this fabulous sausage/corn dish. He used fresh corn. It also has Portuguese white bread in it, which has soaked up all the delicious juices. The bread is topped with some type of cheese--don't know what kind, but whatever it is, it's good.
Well, now, that sounds like a soggy, sorry, mess.

Best to 86 the bread and corn, and just melt some cheese on the sausage.

But we need to lay off nutty Lu!

She has an exhausting, full time job taking care of the witchcraft/voodoo/alternative medicine forum. 

It's hard to come straight out of a dark, threatening day of bad juju into a breezy discussion of a nice summery cucumber flambe
with a brussels sprout glace for dessert.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 05:16:48 AM »
.....But we need to lay off nutty Lu!

She has an exhausting, full time job taking care of the witchcraft/voodoo/alternative medicine forum. 

It's hard to come straight out of a dark, threatening day of bad juju into a breezy discussion of a nice summery cucumber flambe with a brussels sprout glace for dessert.

No, we needn't.  Her Ladyship Lu isn't that busy.

In fact, she's hardly busy at all.

The cbayer primitive, who has a handful with an eccentric English husband, another handful with being forced to live on a tiny boat, a third handful with a son who had to be scared straight, manages to keep up a lively social intercourse with the cooking and baking primitives despite all that.

Surely Her Ladyship Lu doesn't have to deal with that much.

She could at least give the appearance of being busy, in the sorcery and witchcraft forum, which she also hostesses, by lighting a daily "what spell are you casting today?" campfire.

On this day, Thursday, she was oddly up early and managed to light this campfire:

Lucinda (16,667 posts)    Thu Apr 25, 2013, 03:06 AM

What's for Dinner ~ Thursday April 25th

No clue.

I'm having to stay with soft-ish foods because of my bad tooth, but I'm managing.

I'm still on a Mexican food kick, but it's a shopping day, so I'm not sure what we will end up with!

Y tu?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/115725146
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:32 AM »
nice summery cucumber flambe
:lmao:

As tempting as that sounds, I think I'll go with tacos.  Made with beef. 

Yes, that sausage and corn thing sounds like a soggy mess.  And probably hideous when plated. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 05:20:43 AM »
Lu's been posting in the wee hours of the morning the past couple of days.

But nothing in the sorcery and witchcraft forum, only in the cooking and baking forum, and damned little there.

Lucinda (16,669 posts)    Fri Apr 26, 2013, 01:21 AM

What's for Dinner ~ Friday April 26th - Sleep Doctor Edition

Yet another visit to the sleep doc today. After two nights of hospital study, and one home blood oxygen monitoring, I will hopefully have some answers manana!

Not sure what we will have for dinner. We do have stuff for tacos on hand, so it's a good bet...

You?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/115725183

One can hardly wait until the cbayer primitive gets back from her road trip with her eccentric English husband, to get the cooking and baking primitives cooking and baking again.

Now, question.

Why would an older woman (mid- to late 60s) who's not especially overweight--she's just tall and big-boned, that's all, like "Ma Kettle" in those old black-and-white comedy films--and who probably doesn't drink and smoke, have the big guy's ailment, sleep apnea?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 05:34:39 AM »
Now, ignore the husband in the photographs below; Lu's Bill looks nothing like Pa Kettle, even though he's about the same age.  Lu's Bill resembles no one more than a Pennsylvania Dutch farmer with a limp.

However, there's an uncanny resemblance between Lu and Ma Kettle.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 06:05:31 AM »
Yes, that sausage and corn thing sounds like a soggy mess.  And probably hideous when plated. 

After reading many of the 'what's for dinner ?' posts - I've come to the 'conclussion' that many of the participating primitives assemble a list of ingredients at random because they contain lots of primitive approved foods.

However, when one considers the recipe as they describe it, it almost always comes out looking like vomit on a plate.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:04 AM »
After reading many of the 'what's for dinner ?' posts - I've come to the 'conclussion' that many of the participating primitives assemble a list of ingredients at random because they contain lots of primitive approved foods.

However, when one considers the recipe as they describe it, it almost always comes out looking like vomit on a plate.
Extra special supreme pizza.  With corn.  :o
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »

"Could you take some syrup of ipecac?  UP's hungry."

:puke: :bolt: :runaway:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 03:19:17 PM »
  OK ,Ok, I live in Lobster land-----I requested from  the members some information on Craw fish. I did not get any information about the bugger.

Today I watched a Iron Chef program and the main ingredient was Craw fish.  I still have question from the program . 

With Lobster one does not eat the head, something in there that will make one ill.  I remove the roe or the intestinalQuestion--- track out before eating---Just the way I was taught, some love the roe.

This is personal, we go to a Buffet every couple of months There is allways a hot tray of Craw Fish.

Perhaps I should wander about the place looking for people eating these things and intrude on them with my question.

Do you eat the shell, squirt it with lemon and dip in melted butter ????

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »
 With Lobster one does not eat the head, something in there that will make one ill. 

That's not entirely true - When it comes to a lobster, unless its crunchy, its edible. You might be thinking of crab. many crabs have a poison sac that shouldn't be eaten. 

Offline tac

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
Some of those 'recipes' sound absolutely revolting; especially this one
nice summery cucumber flambe
  :bs: No one eats crap like that for dinner!
When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

The more laws, the less justice.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
Some of those 'recipes' sound absolutely revolting; especially this one   :bs: No one eats crap like that for dinner!
Three times a week max.

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 06:22:13 PM »
 OK ,Ok, I live in Lobster land-----I requested from  the members some information on Craw fish. I did not get any information about the bugger.

Today I watched a Iron Chef program and the main ingredient was Craw fish.  I still have question from the program .  

With Lobster one does not eat the head, something in there that will make one ill.  I remove the roe or the intestinalQuestion--- track out before eating---Just the way I was taught, some love the roe.

This is personal, we go to a Buffet every couple of months There is allways a hot tray of Craw Fish.

Perhaps I should wander about the place looking for people eating these things and intrude on them with my question.

Do you eat the shell, squirt it with lemon and dip in melted butter ????

No. You do not eat the shell.

edit to add: I've about come to the conclusion that unless it's straight from Louisiana or prepared by a Cajun you shouldn't eat any of it. All of the restaurants around here seem to specialize in crawfish that taste like mud.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:24:26 PM by FlippyDoo »
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
Lucinda (16,674 posts)    Fri Apr 26, 2013, 11:52 PM

What's for Dinner ~ Saturday April 27th - Doc Visit Results Edition

Sooooo... for those interested...the second all nighter at the hospital finally produced usable Sleep Study results!

I will be joining the Borg soon - probably Monday some time. I tested a sleep apnea mask during the last overnighter that is very low profile and just hooks around the ears (with optional headgear strap thingy - which I don't need). And it was very comfy. I was told that I was having ONE apnea episode per MINUTE during one stretch of REM sleep. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much my health improves once I get better sleep and improve my blood oxygen levels (which were really crappy). So, finally some good news. I am crazy tired of being tired all the time.

As for dinner, I have put off Mexican food for the last two nights, so it's definitely on the Saturday menu!

You?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/115725202
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 07:52:35 AM »
Somebody was naughty yesterday, hanging around on the internet behind the back of her guardians, who don't want addled Grandma Judy making a fool of herself, and them.

grasswire (36,597 posts)    Sat Apr 27, 2013, 08:56 PM

19. chicken curry with the usual trimmings

This time I sprinkled dried cranberries on my plate instead of raisins. I love dried cranberries from Trader Joe's.

Okay, now to me, "curry" is just a word.  I've probably seen it in real life without knowing that's what it was, but I've damned sure never in my life eaten it.

However, the other day, I was reading the diary of a soldier from New Zealand during the first world war (1914-1918), in which he complained that "curry eaters" made the latrines unusable.  In its context, he wasn't being racist, using a euphemism for "Hindu;" he was talking about the specific food itself.

grasswire (36,597 posts)    Sat Apr 27, 2013, 08:57 PM

20. tell me how you make sweet potato patties?

Like leftover mashed potatoes?
apres moi, le deluge