Author Topic: Dallas salon owner who reopened despite coronavirus restrictions gets 7 days in  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Dallas salon owner who reopened despite coronavirus restrictions gets 7 days in jail
https://www.foxnews.com/us/dallas-salon-owner-reopened-coronavirus-restrictions-jail

A Texas salon owner was given seven days in jail on Tuesday after she refused to apologize for defying coronavirus related restrictions by remaining open for business.

Dallas business owner Shelley Luther was given a choice: She could offer an apology for selfishness, pay a fine and shutdown until Friday, or serve jail time.

"I have to disagree with you, sir, when you say that I'm selfish because feeding my kids is not selfish," she told the judge. "I have hairstylists that are going hungry because they would rather feed their kids. So sir, if you think the law is more important than kids getting fed, then please go ahead with your decision. But I am not going to shut the salon."

Government overreach.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
This stuff is really getting under my skin.  If she wants to open and her patrons want to come into her shop, the government should have no say in that.

I'm glad she's sticking to her guns.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
This stuff is really getting under my skin.  If she wants to open and her patrons want to come into her shop, the government should have no say in that.

I'm glad she's sticking to her guns.

KC

Ditto. The failure of the justice system to acknowledge a stupid EO when they see it is classic. Here we have a "I was just following orders [law] when I jailed that woman for wanting her people to be able to feed their kids."

There is a special place in hell for people like that.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Dallas business owner Shelley Luther was given a choice: She could offer an apology for selfishness, pay a fine and shutdown until Friday, or serve jail time.

And there's no way in hell I'm going to apologize to the government for running my business.  What f'n arrogance!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

And there's no way in hell I'm going to apologize to the government for running my business.  What f'n arrogance!

KC

In this asshat judge's evident opinion, he was offering her a deal. She told him to **** off and die and I'm absolutely on board with that.

I sent an email to her attorney asking if there's a Gofundme page or something similar. I'll contribute to her legal/bullshit court costs.

And I sincerely hope that the people in the judge's district are paying attention enough to vote that ****tard out at the next possible election.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Here's the Gofundme page link. They have over $360,000 raised so far and they're looking for $500,000.

She will need it because of her employees.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/shelley-luther-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Update on this; the Texas attorney general told the judge to release her and that he had stepped over the line.

:yahoo:

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Update on this; the Texas attorney general told the judge to release her and that he had stepped over the line.

:yahoo:

KC

Great to hear that.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Eric V. Moyé
https://ballotpedia.org/Eric_V._Moyé

The judge in this case is a Democrat.

Texas Attorney General told to stop meddling in salon court case
https://abc13.com/texas-district-judges-ken-paxton-letter-dallas-salon-owner-case-shelley-luther/6160302/

DALLAS, Texas (KTRK) -- Judges in Dallas County have rebuked the state's top legal officer amid the controversy surrounding a Dallas salon owner.

In a letter to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, 12 civil district judges called Paxton's letter to Judge Eric Moyé "inappropriate and equally unwelcome."

The rebuke was in reference to Paxton's letter calling the sentencing of Shelley Luther outrageous. Luther was sentenced to jail after being found in contempt of court in a case involving keeping her hair salon open despite closure orders.

All who sign the letter are Democrats.  :mental:

Paxton, a Republican, has served as state attorney general since 2015 when he was elected to succeed Greg Abbott, who left office when he was elected governor. All 12 judges who signed the letter are Democrats.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Heard someone call her the Rosa Parks of this generation.  Kinda like it.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Heard someone call her the Rosa Parks of this generation.  Kinda like it.

I do too!  The DUmmies are hating this. LOL

The attorney general asked the judge to release her and was rebuked so ... the Texas Supreme Court stepped in and ordered her release.

I love our state government!

Releasing criminals to keep them from getting the virus, but locking up honest business owners and the liberals cheer. How in the hell do they not see their fascism??

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

The attorney general asked the judge to release her and was rebuked so ... the Texas Supreme Court stepped in and ordered her release.

Releasing criminals to keep them from getting the virus, but locking up honest business owners and the liberals cheer. How in the hell do they not see their fascism??

KC

Liberals/leftists love criminals.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a

KC

God bless Texas! :texas:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

KC

Just in terms of "who reports to whom" I think (though I might be wrong) that Paxton's letter was considered "inappropriate" because Paxton is the AG - essentially the top prosecutor in Texas. The district judges don't fall under the AG due to their so-called unbiased adherence to the law and not to political gamesmanship.

Well, we all know that's a load of bullshit -- far too many judges routinely legislate from the bench and most of those tend to be Dems.

But it's good to hear that the entity that that ****tard Moye must listen to -- the Texas Supreme Court -- acted and told his goat-smelling ass to stand down.

Luther's attorney was interviewed by Beck a couple days ago, who said that Luther was released after a couple nights in jail.

Absolutely right about Luther being a modern-day Rosa Parks. She respectfully, but firmly, told Moye to stick his demand for an apology up his ass.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Just in terms of "who reports to whom" I think (though I might be wrong) that Paxton's letter was considered "inappropriate" because Paxton is the AG - essentially the top prosecutor in Texas. The district judges don't fall under the AG due to their so-called unbiased adherence to the law and not to political gamesmanship.

Well, we all know that's a load of bullshit -- far too many judges routinely legislate from the bench and most of those tend to be Dems.

But it's good to hear that the entity that that ****tard Moye must listen to -- the Texas Supreme Court -- acted and told his goat-smelling ass to stand down.

Luther's attorney was interviewed by Beck a couple days ago, who said that Luther was released after a couple nights in jail.

Absolutely right about Luther being a modern-day Rosa Parks. She respectfully, but firmly, told Moye to stick his demand for an apology up his ass.

Yeah, Paxton didn't have the authority to demand release.  He respectfully asked she be released saying in essence this isn't how the lock down is supposed to work.  As we all know it is absolutely ludicrous to be releasing honest to God criminals while incarcerating a hard working business owner.

Greg Abbott signed an executive order declaring, basically, no arrests for these types of things and made it retroactive to like the 1st of April.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Shelley Luther to give part of GoFundMe donations to Laredo women arrested for violating order
https://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/local-news/shelley-luther-to-give-part-of-gofundme-donations-to-laredo-women-arrested-for-violating-order/

DALLAS (KETK) – Shelley Luther, the Dallas salon woman who was arrested for operating despite Gov. Abbott’s order, said that she wants to donate portions of funds raised for her to Laredo women who were also detained for going against the order.

Ana Isabel Castro-Garcia and Brenda Stephanie Mata were arrested for offering beauty services at their homes, which violated the Webb County stay-at-home order. According to the Texas Tribune, Luther wanted to donate the money after paying her mortgage and legal fees.

More than $500,000 was raised for Luther after she was jailed and fined for operating her business. She was given the chance to apologize after being cited and fined on multiple occasions, but she refused.

Good for her.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
I just want to say that, if there are any local businesses that will defy the drunk with power politicians and open their business in defiance of the governmental overreach, I will happily patronize their businesses to celebrate.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I just want to say that, if there are any local businesses that will defy the drunk with power politicians and open their business in defiance of the governmental overreach, I will happily patronize their businesses to celebrate.

Likewise.

I refuse to play this game any more. I am not convinced that Covid-19 is as deadly as the fearmongers have played it. Got a reminder from my dermatologist about a follow-up visit (every 6 months). They said I had to wear a mask. I told them, no I don't. Cancel the ****ing appointment until all this Covid shit blows over.  :tongue:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Likewise.

I refuse to play this game any more. I am not convinced that Covid-19 is as deadly as the fearmongers have played it. Got a reminder from my dermatologist about a follow-up visit (every 6 months). They said I had to wear a mask. I told them, no I don't. Cancel the ****ing appointment until all this Covid shit blows over.  :tongue:

Perfect response!

^5

KC

*Stolen