Author Topic: Obama takes big risk on driver's license issue  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Obama takes big risk on driver's license issue
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:44:54 AM »
Obama takes big risk on driver's license issue

(01-28) 04:00 PST Washington -- Sen. Barack Obama easily won the African American vote in South Carolina, but to woo California Latinos, where he is running 3-to-1 behind rival Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, he is taking a giant risk: spotlighting his support for the red-hot issue of granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

It's a huge issue for Latinos, who want them. It's also a huge issue for the general electorate, which most vehemently does not. Obama's stand could come back to haunt him not only in a general election, but with other voters in California, where driver's licenses for illegal immigrants helped undo former Gov. Gray Davis.

Clinton stumbled into that minefield in a debate last fall and quickly backed off. First she suggested a New York proposal for driver's licenses for illegal immigrants might be reasonable. Then she denied endorsing the idea, and later came out against them.

Asked directly about the issue now, her California campaign spokesman said Clinton "believes the solution is to pass comprehensive immigration reform."

"Barack Obama has not backed down" on driver's licenses for undocumented people, said Federico Peña, a former Clinton administration Cabinet member and Denver mayor now supporting Obama. "I think when the Latino community hears Barack's position on such an important and controversial issue, they'll understand that his heart and his intellect is with Latino community."

He needs more of those illegals to vote for him.   :whatever: :censored: :banghead:

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Obama takes big risk on driver's license issue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »
He may be smarter than I thought.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:00:25 AM »
He may be smarter than I thought.

more ammo for the general election.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:06:43 AM »
This may help him in the primaries but in the general election this issue is a big loser. That's why the Hildabeast backed off her support.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:08:54 AM »
This may help him in the primaries but in the general election this issue is a big loser. That's why the Hildabeast backed off her support.
That is a political fiction.  The Latino vote is NOT a groundswell.  It is a ripple.  Most Latinos continue to be a minority. Even in Californexico, offerring the DLs to illegals has been a loser.  More people are against it than for it.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:24:42 AM »
That is a political fiction.  The Latino vote is NOT a groundswell.  It is a ripple.  Most Latinos continue to be a minority. Even in Californexico, offerring the DLs to illegals has been a loser.  More people are against it than for it.

Most Democraps in all probably are for giving DL to illegals in the kool-aid state.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:01 AM »
^that isn't going to play well in the heartland though. Sometimes I wish we could put a fence around CA.

*Sorry CA cc'ers!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle