Author Topic: Big bodies a challenge for morgues  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Big bodies a challenge for morgues
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:32:13 AM »
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-flfobese0105pnjan05,0,4042785.story

Equipment for autopsies getting bigger

As it is with stadium seats and amusement-park rides, so it is with autopsy tables and morgue drawers, cadaver carts and other equipment used to hoist, lift and carry the dead. Americans are growing too large to fit, so autopsy equipment is getting bigger.

snip

These days, some bodies are too large to slip into the drawers of morgue refrigerators. They tip over standard-sized cadaver carts. Their weight tests the physical strength and stamina of the people who must lift and flip a corpse to conduct a thorough exam.

snip
Standard weight loads for autopsy carts used to be 300 or 400 pounds, Bell said. Now customers want tables that can carry 1,000 pounds.

Because many bodies are too big for morgue drawers, the company now manufactures them in wider sizes.

Special mechanical lifts that hoist bodies that were once typically built to hold 500 pounds are now designed to hold 750 pounds.

Equipment for the obese dead is pricey. Larger tables come at a 30 percent to 40 percent premium because they take more materials.

My New Years resolution; put down the :spork:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

Re: Big bodies a challenge for morgues
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:06:25 PM »
Myself, I am proud to say that I put on 5 lb over Christmas.    :censored:

Yeah the extra weight Americans are carrying around poses lots of health issues as well. I am amazed at how many kids are overweight. I used to be one of the "healthier" looking kids, I look at my pics now and think what a squirt!
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »
almost put down my chocolate covered graham cracker cookie while reading this..then what the hell, I'll be dead, so I won't care...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:16 PM »
huh...interesting. I grew up hanging around a morgue. You see some interesting things there.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline foxworthy

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Beginning Fresh
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »
They don't get charged extra, so why should they worry? :popcorn:
When the game is over, both the pawn and the king are put away in the same box