Author Topic: Who's Up For A Good Old Fashioned Bible Burning?  (Read 964 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Who's Up For A Good Old Fashioned Bible Burning?
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
JFN1  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Apr-03-11 08:33 PM
Original message

If it is good for Muslims, it should do wonders for Christians, don't 'ya think?

I'll bring the marshmallows...!

:evilgrin:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x805439

If you did that, Christians won't go around killing people.

ReggieVeggie  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Apr-03-11 09:12 PM
Response to Reply #16
19. I don't anticipate a pleasant experience if the fundies are around

something tells me they'll get physical

:whatever:

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline thundley4

Re: Who's Up For A Good Old Fashioned Bible Burning?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
We know it won't happen.  DUmmies don't own Bibles, and they aren't going to spend their weed money on buying one.  The only possibility of it happening is for them to steal Bibles from churches.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
Most of the pot heads I knew in school used the Bible for rolling papers.
About the worst they ever got for it was a stern rebuke.

No beheadings.  No death threats.  No bombs on subways or planes into buildings.
Nunquam Honorandum Nisi Merito
 Transgender American Veterans

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
Go ahead you Nazis, nothing you do surprises anyone anymore, you hate filled pieces of shit.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
I told my husband they would say this earlier today. What predictable asswipes they are.

How badass they are, burn the bible where nothing will happen ( and it has been done before, search YouTube and you will see a ton of Emo kids doing it. I triple dog dare anyone on DU to burn the Koran and post doing it on YouTube.  Also give your address so they can find you easier.

Off topic:  When I was typing my iPad auto capitalized the Koran but didn't capitalize the bible.

Offline longview

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Muslims have beat them to it.  Several videos on youtube. 

What?  They didn't hear about those?  Yeah, pretty much caused no retaliation.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »
Go right ahead DUmmies.  That's between you and God.

God's word is way more than just the paper it is printed on.  You can't take the message away by burning the book.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
Yo_Mama (594 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-03-11 09:33 PM
Response to Original message

22. Aren't you a bit out of step with reality?

The US military burned a bunch of bibles sent to Afghanistan:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/20/us.mili... /

Bible burning in Israel:
http://articles.cnn.com/2008-05-28/world/bible.burning_...

This one's very funny; not only is this a Protestant church that believes in sola scriptura, the ONLY VALID TEXT is the King James version. So they decided to burn some other "satanic" versions to make a point:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/6346662/North-...
I still wonder if this was really a publicity stunt; surely they cannot believe that Genesis was originally written by King James?

It happens all the time.

Making a point in Norway:
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1261100....

JFN1 (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-03-11 09:38 PM
Response to Original message

23. From the "Let's take ourselves WAY too seriously" Department

Edited on Sun Apr-03-11 09:39 PM by JFN1
Jeez, lighten up, will you people? THIS kind of failure to empathize and to avoid self-examination lies at the heart of the ROT eating away at our civilization.

If you cannot see the utter hypocrisy my OP attempts to poke fun at, if you cannot be honest enough with yourself to recognize the TRUTH of that hypocrisy as it applies to the crazy fringe in our society, I would like to advise you to get a really long mirror, bend over in front of it, and ensure you have nothing protruding from any bodily orifice which might account for an overabundance of self-righteous indignation, which is very likely blocking the ability mature adults possess to laugh at ourselves when someone points out the ridiculous double standards we all accept in our culture.

And in answer to the inevitable "why are you going off so hard on this" - please carefully read above - I have explained it fully.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
Hmm, the DU advocating Bible burning? and the thread is still there? can we assume that if someone at DU advocated a Koran burning that the thread would still be there?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
Off topic:  When I was typing my iPad auto capitalized the Koran but didn't capitalize the bible.

While I understand why it would be bothersome, I suspect if you had typed Torah, it also would have been auto-capped.
I will agree that there are definite attacks on Christianity out there, this wasn't one of them.

The word "bible" is used in contexts other than the Holy Bible.
Compare to the iPad's capitalization of the word "moon".  It won't capitalize it, either, because it always opts for the general term, not the specific one.  So, even though *our* moon is written as Moon, moons in general are not written such.

I've probably just made myself sound like a babbling idiot now.
Feel free to BS.
Nunquam Honorandum Nisi Merito
 Transgender American Veterans

Offline redwhit

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »
While I understand why it would be bothersome, I suspect if you had typed Torah, it also would have been auto-capped.
I will agree that there are definite attacks on Christianity out there, this wasn't one of them.

Compare to the iPad's capitalization of the word "moon".  It won't capitalize it, either, because it always opts for the general term, not the specific one.  So, even though *our* moon is written as Moon, moons in general are not written such.

Feel free to BS.

That's a good point, not to mention that there are sooooo many translations/versions out there.  It really needs to be specified.  Koran doesn't have that particular problem.

Online DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Go right ahead DUmmies.  That's between you and God.

God's word is way more than just the paper it is printed on.  You can't take the message away by burning the book.

Too bad the word of Allah isn't so indelible.  Maybe Allah isn't as omnipotent a God as mine is.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
Too bad the word of Allah isn't so indelible.  Maybe Allah isn't as omnipotent a God as mine is.

Pretty sure that God trumps Satan every time. Calling Satan by another name won't change that.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
Muslims riot and kill when Korans are burned because they treat the Koran as an idol to worship.  Christians do not worship the Bible.  They worship the God who breathed the Bible into being.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »

Feel free to BS.

Meh. "Ilan" becomes "Klan" when I type it into my iPad. :whatever:

I've decided it's pretty funny...
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
Meh. "Ilan" becomes "Klan" when I type it into my iPad. :whatever:

I've decided it's pretty funny...

I have a funny story about some friends whose last name is Clan.  I'll save it for later.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 10:28:26 PM »
From a ways back but still valid...

[youtube=425,350]eyTsDweDDLU[/youtube]
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
The Bible is burned figuratively by DUers on a daily basis. Anyone with an ounce of honesty knows this.

It's called a book of fairy tales, a novel, and just something written by the patriarchs of old to keep the masses enslaved. God is referred to as psychotic, cruel, an imaginary sky daddy, some old bearded dude, and worse. They derisively change the names of the Father and Son to Gawd, Jeebus, Jaysus. Christians are proclaimed as irrational, weak-minded, delusional, robotic, stupid and sheep-like. Christianty is blamed for every woe in the world from slavery to rape to financial inequality to genocide to war. The few times someone calls them on it, that person gets buried under a ton of snark. "Oh the poor persecuted Christians. They have life so hard in America." "Your faith must be weak if you can't stand some criticism."

As if adolescent jokes and insults can be labeled "criticism".

Oh yeah, and they'll get in a downright snit about being called out, too. How dare you try to tamp down their freedom of speech? They've earned the right to mock some people's most closely held belief because of al the slights they've suffered at the hands of Christians and all the evil Christian have perpetrated on society.

But now they work themselves into a fit of self-righteous anger over "hate speech" because some preacher burned another religion's text?

Please. How thoroughly marinated in hypocrisy and denial do you have to be to suddenly find this level of outrage over "insensitivity" when you yourself get positively giddy spewing the most sacrilegious, blasphemous and insulting anti-Christian speech you can think of every chance you get?
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 12:39:39 AM »
The Bible is burned figuratively by DUers on a daily basis. Anyone with an ounce of honesty knows this.

It's called a book of fairy tales, a novel, and just something written by the patriarchs of old to keep the masses enslaved. God is referred to as psychotic, cruel, an imaginary sky daddy, some old bearded dude, and worse. They derisively change the names of the Father and Son to Gawd, Jeebus, Jaysus. Christians are proclaimed as irrational, weak-minded, delusional, robotic, stupid and sheep-like. Christianty is blamed for every woe in the world from slavery to rape to financial inequality to genocide to war. The few times someone calls them on it, that person gets buried under a ton of snark. "Oh the poor persecuted Christians. They have life so hard in America." "Your faith must be weak if you can't stand some criticism."

As if adolescent jokes and insults can be labeled "criticism".

Oh yeah, and they'll get in a downright snit about being called out, too. How dare you try to tamp down their freedom of speech? They've earned the right to mock some people's most closely held belief because of al the slights they've suffered at the hands of Christians and all the evil Christian have perpetrated on society.

But now they work themselves into a fit of self-righteous anger over "hate speech" because some preacher burned another religion's text?

Please. How thoroughly marinated in hypocrisy and denial do you have to be to suddenly find this level of outrage over "insensitivity" when you yourself get positively giddy spewing the most sacrilegious, blasphemous and insulting anti-Christian speech you can think of every chance you get?

H5

Offline jukin

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:32 AM »
How about burning some works by Marx?

That would get the DUches in a hissy.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 09:35:39 AM »
JFN1  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Apr-03-11 08:33 PM
Original message

If it is good for Muslims, it should do wonders for Christians, don't 'ya think?

I'll bring the marshmallows...!

:evilgrin:

I'm totally cool with it, as long as you douse yourself with gasoline and hold onto the book while you burn it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
I worship the God told about in the book, not the book itself....burn away DUmbasses. :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline true_blood

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
I see the DUmbasses STILL don't get it, huh?!
Burn the Bible or the American flag and see how many people die. Burn the Koran and see how many people ACTUALLY die.
IDIOTS.