Author Topic: Doug's stupid ex-wife moves while depressed  (Read 1122 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Doug's stupid ex-wife moves while depressed
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:47 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=276x9696

Oh my.

Doug's stupid ex-wife:

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Sun Aug-30-09 05:23 PM
Original message

This may be funny, I'm not sure: moving while depressed.

So, I'm moving to the ranch this week and will be living there until my job deal is worked out or that's the official reason. It's true but there's also a subtext about Mom being Ted Kennedy's age and alone and there's no one else in the family that can deal with this next part. I'm not sure how much of that is objectively true but think it's more than 60%.

The funny part (to me, anyway) is that because I'm depressed, it's sort of hard to get very anxious about packing up my stuff. The easiest thing would be to put the cats in carriers, Kid on her leash, grab the laptop and my field easel and go -- because even though I like my furniture and books and dishes and cr@p, I can't care about them very much. It's just sort of exhausting and you can always get more cr@p somewhere if you need it.

The other funny part, in a dark way, is thinking back about how carefully I put together all the stuff in every room in the first place, from the prints on the walls to every single piece of furniture that I built for its space to the placement of the appliances let alone outlets, and even the colors that were chosen to bring the most light into this little tiny condo in a foggy city, that I now don't feel a thing about and would gladly just leave here if someone else didn't have to clean it up after me.

What a difference a depression makes.

There's a way in which I like traveling "light" and have noticed that as I get older, it gets easier and easier to do that. But, I realize that my strong desire to just walk away from all this STUFF is depression, not enlightenment at all. It's avoidance.

In a way, it will be nice to be at the ranch because my constant worry about Mom will be tempered if not neutralized. I can't make her 25 again. In another way, I just got rested up from care giving and this feels like just the next in a long series of these deals the the oldest girls in Latino (sic) families are expected to manage. Too bad someone else already wrote "Like Water For Chocolate".

Thankfully, a couple of nights ago I understood my next writing project while watching Ted Kennedy's wake and can hide in the research and planning of it if I need to in the coming week/s.

The last funny thing is observing my compulsivity about disorder v. the 10 Ft Depression.

"This is a mess!"

"Yeah?"

"You can't be serious. LOOK at that!"

"So?"

The mopinko primitive:

mopinko  (1000+ posts)        Sun Aug-30-09 11:16 PM
Response to Original message

1. you sound a little like my daughter. 

she is extricating herself from a bullshit relationship. not a nightmare, just bullshit. and serious about moving on, and getting serious about school. so she is feeling the same about her stuff. she kept telling me she was coming to get my truck, first on tuesday, then on thursday, friday, saturday. then she panics, and her phone calls barely make sense. she has to be out by this tuesday.

and in the meantime, i am doing the same, as i am supposed to be moved out of my studio by tuesday as well. and i lost the keys to my truck. even though i had 4 or 5 sets. i am down to one, i drove it today, and they are nowhere. fttt. gone.

moving sucks.

hope it goes ok for you. moving home can be a pain, or it can just be another chapter.

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-31-09 04:32 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I'm afraid I'm driving my mom a little nuts because she's used to me being high energy and my snail's pace seems to irritate her. I tried to explain to her that I'm at once exhausted AND anxious and will probably have to remind her a few times during this process. With any luck, I can avoid having an actual panic attack. Damn, I have to get a doctor for meds.

We're sharing her big mobile, where she's living while her house is built and it looks like my half will have more square feet than I do here. The property is shaped like an upside down paper airplane -- between two sets of hills north and south, overlooks downtown San Jose to the west and more hills to the east. The coastal winds barrel up the canyon every afternoon so if you hang laundry at about 2, it will be dry by 4. The sunsets are pretty and if you like quiet, it's a great place to be.

At one time, I put in three gardens up there. One for Mom outside her office window, a rose garden for me protected by some chaparral that I tamed into a little hedge, and a v****e garden. The land will be developed soon so this time, it's going to be containers.

I'm fairly miserable about leaving the beach but in truth, I'm still pretty withdrawn and until that changes some, it doesn't really matter where I am. Or, that's the mantra.

The Hispanic University is about 5 minutes away. Maybe I'll see if they have any openings there. It's not very big and probably full of Chicano hippies. My (sic) people!

Good luck to the kiddo. Moving does suck and moving away from a boyfriend sucks more, even one you don't like any more. I hope that school is interesting enough to engage her attention.

mopinko  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-31-09 11:32 PM
Response to Reply #2

5. she is having a good time in school. she has a job that she both loves and hates. loves the work, hates the boss. she is such a smart kid, and i don't think she ever really knew that about herself. she has a job in a hospital lab, and she is taking a biology major. she was looking to get into pharmacy school, but i think she could be a doctor is she wanted to. it seems so impossible for anyone these days, but we are close to northwestern, and she is working in their hospital downtown, so......

at least if you have rooms and board, i think maybe you can make it, no? well, we will see. at least she knows now that she has a family behind her that can actually help. not something i have always been able to do. feels pretty good. she even got her brothers to help her with the schlepping.

sounds like you will be in a good place. i recommend that you not fear the old hippies, but that is just me.

david13  (586 posts)      Mon Aug-31-09 05:36 PM

3. e I hope you understand how fortunate you are, to have all these problems in places, where other people don't even have places.

This possession thing, it comes to us all, at different stages in life, in different manifestations. I remember the young college and law school mantra some had, about wanting to be able to fit all the possessions into one backpack.

Law school throws that out the window because immediately one needs to begin a library sized collection of books. Which then are lugged, toted, shipped, trucked, etc., every time one relocates.

Until later in life we think, wouldn't it be nice to move more freely, without thinking a move involves a huge semi-truck/trailer?

I don't know if there ever is a solution for it.

Watch out for those hippies, they will get you all goofed up on pot, which only causes more confusion.

One suspects Doug's stupid ex-wife doesn't need pot to be goofed up.

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-31-09 10:52 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. When I was an English grad, I had a whole library in my little rented house.

Since then, those books have passed into other hands but for a core 100 or so. It's a lot easier to get help with moving now.

Yes, I am fortunate. Big family and we all put up with each other fairly easily. Mom and I are a lot alike. We both love being with other people, the more the merrier, but we both also need alone time every day. Mom and I have lived and worked together on and off since I went with her to clean up houses that she was listing as a new agent when I was about 8. The market is very scary right now and her holdings are more or less at risk but we might as well do this part together, too.

I've packed up half of the place and have tried to give away or toss as much as I pack. The cats are about to freak out. 10 . . 9 . . .8 . . .7

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Tue Sep-08-09 01:55 AM

6. Update, Monday 9/7

Kid and I have been on the ranch since Wednesday. So far we've seen a bunch of horses (Kid defends the house from them), an owl, a bunch of what turned out to be wild turkeys (the no stuffing or gravy fooled me), an owl, a coyote, a feral cat and a bunch of goats; have heard a donkey across the fence, all kinds of cocks crowing (probably fighting cocks because who needs more than one?), dogs, and a goose. Kid did fine until she heard the goose and that sent her running up on the porch.

There's a lot more people closer than there were when I left here eight years ago. On Saturday night I heard what sounded like Arabic rap so I guess al Qaida bought the old Lucchessi place next door. You could always here a little bit of burb sounds up here but it was nice and distant. Now I can hear people most of the time if I listen closely and it feels like I should get a slingshot or a cast iron frying pan just in case because if any of these interlopers decide to invade us, Kid will most likely lick their knees. Maybe a police scanner? That's a sound that might make someone think twice about disturbing us.

Kid is having separation anxiety which is not what you want in a dog when you're going in and out for hours moving stuff. She won't stay anywhere but at my heels or rather, under them. On the other hand, there's a 13 year old Lab mix here who is very sweet, deaf and is very patient with the kid.

When we let the cats out of the bathroom on the second day, they all disappeared into my mom's closet. They all settled down once I set up the studio and they could see and smell their stuff. Only one of them is still freaking but he's that way most of the time anyway so, that's pretty good for under a week.

My living space is almost organized. Stil have to hook up the sat teevee and get the dingdang wireless internet connect to recognize my machine. Only four more boxes to go plus all the cleaning that you have to do when you move things around. My hands have been in soap so much they look like they've been boiled.

I'll see if I can get some pix up tomorrow.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Doug's stupid ex-wife moves while depressed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:12:48 AM »
I got depressed just reading her drivel.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »
I   thought  her mom was losin her house?
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:36:20 AM »
I   thought  her mom was losin her house?

I did, too.

But you know those crafty Italians.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »
Beth has a kid???

That's terrifying.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »
With apologies to Harry Chapin:

The cat's in the carrier and I'm gonna move
Makin' it a thread, hope DU approves
I'm comin home mom
But I don't know when
But I'll get some good meds then
I'll get me some good meds then
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 02:19:44 PM »

I'm comin home mom
But I don't know when

Damn, that's good, sir.

Admirable.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »
Beth has a kid???

That's terrifying.

"Kid" is apparently the name of one of her pets.

Doug's stupid ex-wife apparently has two human sons, at least one of which served some hard time in the California penal system.  I imagine from her first husband, not Doug.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »

I'm comin home mom
But I don't know when

:lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf:

Good thing I had nothing in my mouth when I read that, or else it'd be all over the monitor!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
I don't know if there are enough meds in the world to cure her special kind of stupid.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »
I don't know if there are enough meds in the world to cure her special kind of stupid.

You know if stupid was people, she would be China.
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:09:48 AM »

There is one . . . DAT and I were discussing the size of the pill last week or so.  I believe that the minor disagreement we had was over the diameter of the pill.  Still comes in a 185-grain and a 230-grain "dosage."
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »
You know, the more depressed Beth is, the longer her screeds are and the more stupid she spews. I hope she gets the help she needs soon.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »
You know, the more depressed Beth is, the longer her screeds are and the more stupid she spews. I hope she gets the help she needs soon.

Cindie

Unfortunately, the only help Doug's ex-wife wants is more meds!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!