Author Topic: Father Dies to save Downs Son, 20  (Read 821 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Father Dies to save Downs Son, 20
« on: September 10, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
We've seen a lot of asshole parent stories lately. This one left me in tears.:

By Jonathan Mummolo
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

If you ever ran into Nokesville dad Thomas S. Vander Woude, chances are you would also see his son Joseph. Whether Vander Woude was volunteering at church, coaching basketball or working on his farm, Joseph was often right there with him, pitching in with a smile, friends and neighbors said yesterday.

When Joseph, 20, who has Down syndrome, fell into a septic tank Monday in his back yard, Vander Woude jumped in after him. He saved him. And he died where he spent so much time living: at his son's side.

"That's how he lived," Vander Woude's daughter-in-law and neighbor, Maryan Vander Woude, said yesterday. "He lived sacrificing his life, everything, for his family."

Vander Woude, 66, had gone to Mass at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Gainesville on Monday, just as he did every day, and then worked in the yard with Joseph, the youngest of his seven sons, affectionately known as Josie. Joseph apparently fell through a piece of metal that covered a 2-by-2-foot opening in the septic tank, according to Prince William County police and family members.

Vander Woude rushed to the tank; a workman at the house saw what was happening and told Vander Woude's wife, Mary Ellen, police said. They called 911 about 12 p.m. and tried to help the father and son in the meantime.

more
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jinxmchue

Re: Father Dies to save Downs Son, 20
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »
No doubt the Lord embraced him as he was ushered into Paradise and said, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »
My God. :bawl:  That man was so much of a hero to so many people it is even hard to comprehend.  You have to read the whole article if you haven't. :bawl:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline overlord

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »
My God. :bawl:  That man was so much of a hero to so many people it is even hard to comprehend.  You have to read the whole article if you haven't. :bawl:

No doubt the Lord embraced him as he was ushered into Paradise and said, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

It's sad for those he left behind, but I'm sure their lives are the better for it.  He died doing what any father should do, and I have no doubt he'll be the first one to greet his son when the time comes.  We can never understand why our loved ones are taken from us; we can only hope to be worthy of the blessings and sacrifices they gave us while they were with us.
Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish

Women and children are precious resources to be protected at all costs.  Men are expendable commodities whose function is to protect those resources, at all costs.

So how does it feel to know that someone's kid in the heart of america has blood on their hands to defend your rights so you can maintain a lifestyle that insults his family's existence?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:13 AM »

I read enough to see what real courage and real love are.

Stories like this make me feel so shallow.  But it also gives me a reason to square my shoulders and do right -- day in and day out.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.