Author Topic: After reading Mary Trump's book  (Read 417 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
After reading Mary Trump's book
« on: August 03, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »
Star Member lunatica (49,158 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213849800

His emotional maturity seems to have peaked when was in his Terrible Twos, and he’s been stuck there ever since. When he was two years old his mother gave birth to the last child, a boy, in the family. Not too long after that his 12 or 13 year old oldest sister, Maryanne, found their mother on the bathroom floor hemorrhaging badly.

Old man Fred told his daughter to take care of the kids, five of them including herself, and continued his long days working days without thinking much about the children. Mary, the mother was in bed for a long time so Maryanne took care of the children in the way a mother has to. Mary also suffered ill health throughout her life and was rarely available. Anyone who is a mother will understand that this setup is completely untenable.

So a 13 year old girl was stuck with a two year old toddler, a baby, and her younger brother and sister who at least were all old enough not to need so much attention.

Donald Trump’s most basic emotional needs were never addressed by his parents. This arrested his emotional growth.

There is much more to say about the lack of good attention and the excess of bad attention that Fred Trump gave his children. He was a singularly detrimental person in anyone’s life, and especially in his children’s lives. None of them ever had a chance at having a normal childhood.

Donald Trump’s behavior makes sense when you realize he’s forever stuck emotionally in the worst part of an infants life. The Terrible Twos. For me that makes complete sense. Now that I read about how it happened it’s very obvious to me. It’s made me realize our expectations were based on behavior that has to do with what his abilities should be for a grownup. His behavior is that of a two year old toddler throwing tantrums, severing doll heads off their bodies and breaking toys in fits of rage when thwarted in the least bit. No one helped him grow up and now he’s just a monster. A true product of his father’s own monstrous inhumanity.

I could move on to describe more but it would be too long to post. I just feel Mary Trump nailed it as to what caused what he became on a psychological level and I wanted to share it if anyone is interested.

:yawn:

Hillary is still not President.

Star Member JohnnyLib2 (10,928 posts)

3. Thanks for the summary.

Many of us have long viewed him as unfit/unsuited for the job, as she does in book and interviews. Her description really sheds light on how that came to be.
As a psychologist, I believe his personality defects will be presented in college psych. texts for many years.

As an aside, I suspect a new classification, based on his case, will eventually show up in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM). Narcissism doesn't quite cover it.

Star Member smirkymonkey (53,570 posts)

9. I suppose his father's reaction to his behavior also encouraged him. He was actually

rewarded by his father for being an evil, lying, cheating psychopath and he's still trying to please the man even though he has been dead for years, so for him to soften up or try to change his ways would be like rejecting his own father.

Thank you for your kind words! Like most people, I ended up getting help because I was in so much pain I needed someone to help me through it. It took some time, but it was worth it. I am glad you had the foresight at an early age to see that you didn't want to repeat the patterns of your parents and made a conscious decision to take a different path.

Star Member I_UndergroundPanther (2,733 posts)

46. I remember swearing I never wanted

To be like my parents and swearing also to never being kids into this awful world.

I was like 5 or 6.

When I was 15 I told my mom in tears that something was wrong with my head and asked her to take me to a psychiatrist.

:mental:

Star Member Hortensis (40,273 posts)

14. I read somewhere that there was a cook/nanny in the household.

Shrug. I don't know who did the heavy housecleaning beyond light picking up, etc, but it sounds unlikely that Mary or Maryanne would have been scrubbing floors and toilets, etc.; in those days significantly more manual labor was involved in keeping house than now. Fred's transportation was a limousine when Trump was a boy, and little Donnie was driven places in it.

Star Member jmbar2 (983 posts)

26. Interesting observations, but...

...I hope that folks won't get the idea that messed up childhoods produce broken, inadequate offspring. A lot of us overcome unfortunate circumstances.

In studies of resilience, Dr. Boyce (see link below) refers to survivors as either dandelions or orchids. Dandelions get blown about by the wind, but always seem to root themselves somewhere and thrive. Orchids thrive, but require fairly ideal conditions. When they are not present, they fail.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/03/04/699979387/is-your-child-an-orchid-or-a-dandelion-unlocking-the-science-of-sensitive-kids

I think Trump's issues are more likely related to inherited wealth, coupled with dysfunctional parents. Wealth enabled him to never face the consequences of his actions and decisions, and to never really have to succeed at anything. Then he attributes his wealth to his own actions - the "self made man" myth that he sold the public. He's never succeeded at anything. His wealth let him think he was superior to all. Once daddy died, no one ever told him otherwise.

i once read the definition of a true friend is someone who will tell you when you're really screwing up. Trump has no true friends.

:whatever:

Star Member mzmolly (48,388 posts)

34. Another element I found interesting,

was Fred Trump's like of Norman Vincent Peale and his passing this 'positive thinking' mindset onto Donald. This could explain some of the gas-lighting and BS assertions such as, COVID will magically disappear?

Fred also passed on his racism to Donald.

Very interesting book. I'm about two thirds through.

Thanks for the discussion!

NNadir (25,075 posts)

41. His malignant life has been a major disaster to our country and the world.

It doesn't matter why he is an undeveloped child at this point; only that he is; and he needs to be removed from power and made to pay for his crimes.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline 67 Rover

Re: After reading Mary Trump's book
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:11:45 AM »
Star Member I_UndergroundPanther (2,733 posts)

46.  I remember swearing I never wanted

To be like my parents
and swearing also to never being kids into this awful world.

I was like 5 or 6.

When I was 15 I told my mom in tears that something was wrong with my head and asked her to take me to a psychiatrist.
I would say mission accomplished and to the second part on behalf of all humanity THANK YOU!
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:07:28 AM »
By the time Mary Trump was old enough to remember anything, Donald Trump had graduated from Penn (Wharton) and was working in the management of Fred Sr.'s company. So she is basically regurgitating the "memories" of a father who was so far into being an alcoholic that he died before Mary graduated from high school, seasoned by her own bitterness over how her lawsuit contesting Fred Sr.'s will was settled.

IOW, her hatred-written novel is perfect for a place like DU which was engendered by and birthed in hatred.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »
Star Member lunatica (49,158 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213849800

His emotional maturity seems to have peaked when was in his Terrible Twos, and he’s been stuck there ever since.

has DUmmy lunatica forwarded this onto nancy pelosi?  This definitely sounds impeachment worthy.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »
Star Member jmbar2 (983 posts)

blah, blah, blah...

He's never succeeded at anything.

Blah, blah, blah...

Aside from winning the presidency and becoming the most powerful man in the world. :-)