Author Topic: So I Lost A Friend To The Cult Of Trump Today  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
So I Lost A Friend To The Cult Of Trump Today
« on: July 17, 2020, 08:33:18 AM »
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: So I Lost A Friend To The Cult Of Trump Today
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »
ChoppinBroccoli (3,217 posts)

It probably shouldn't bother me, but it does. When I met this guy, he was a very thoughtful, independent thinker with many good ideas and was definitely not prone to slavish adherence to ideology. We had many very deep conversations about philosophy and religion and the law and all kinds of stuff. He claimed he was a Libertarian, and was always in favor of freedom in every way and at all times. He hated Fox News, George W. Bush, and many of the things Republicans stood for. He voted for Obama twice. But sometime in 2016, he decided that he loved Trump. He said, "I don't know why I like him. I think maybe it's the troll in me that just thinks it's funny when he trolls people."

Over the next few weeks and months, he became more and more in the thrall of all things Trump, and he no longer was the person I had known only months before. Out of the clear blue sky, he became obsessed with buying a gun. The the anti-Obama rhetoric started ratcheting up. He said something to the effect that he was a "Nationalist" and believed in "America First," which was a surprise to me because until then, he was very anti-war and anti-interventionist. At one point, he became violently angry at a Coke commercial because there was a Muslim girl in it (remember the Coke commercial they ran back then showing people saying "Merry Christmas" in all different languages). He literally shouted at the screen, "OF COURSE they have to put a MUSLIM in it They ALWAYS have to include a Muslim!!!" I was like, "Way to miss the entire point of the commercial." Later that very same day, an ad for Hillary ran on the TV showing quotes of things Trump had actually said, and one of them was some reference to a woman being a "big, fat pig." He turned to me and said, "He said those things about Rosie O'Donnell. He wasn't talking about a PERSON. He was talking about Rosie O'Donnell." At that point, I was like, "Who ARE you?"

At the beginning of 2017, he moved back to Michigan to be near his family again. And it was all downhill after that. He moved back to Ohio in April of this year, and he was very different. He told me he never had and never WILL wear a mask because the Coronavirus is nothing but a big hoax. I let all this stuff go in the interest of keeping the peace. He then told me he wouldn't be watching football games with me this year because he was tired of the NFL telling him he was racist because he didn't like kneeling, or that they had "sold out to Black Lives Matter." In that conversation, he repeatedly used the word "cuck," and I think we all know what that means. He's been spending time on right-wing, borderline Nazi (or even full-blown Nazi) websites.

And then tonight, the final blow came down. We were making plans to start working out together again, and he asked me what my gym's mask policy was. That sent him on an anti-mask tirade, to which I said that if selfish assholes would just wear masks, this virus would go away. He was incredulous that I would call him a selfish asshole, to which I replied that if he didn't care enough to do literally the least intrusive thing possible to ensure I don't bring home a deadly virus to my kids and diabetic mother, then yes, you ARE a selfish asshole. He then launched into a tirade about how this is all a big hoax, mortality rates are plummeting, 99% of the people who get it have no symptoms at all, and the only people dying from it are old people. I said, "I guess All Lives don't Matter anymore, then." He didn't like that.

He then launched into the protests, and how only the "panty wad libs" are causing trouble and creating violence in the streets. I told him the FBI proved that literally all the violence was cause by right-wing extremist groups. He then guffawed heartily that I was stupid enough to trust the FBI. He called them "scumbag globalists" or something close to that. I said, "I've never heard the FBI called Jews before, but whatever. He acted like he had no idea where I would get that. I told him that I know the secret code words the alt-right use, and I know that "globalists" means "Jews." He then acted all indignant that I would have the temerity to call him an antisemite, said some very unsavory things to me, and then told me he was blocking my number.

So that friendship is over. It bothers me a little because we were really good friends for a long time, but he became so immersed in the Cult of Trump that he lost every scintilla of his own personality and swore fealty to Herr Trump. He used to talk about how he loved freedom, and now he hates people kneeling during the National Anthem. I bet he's even anti-abortion now, despite the fact that his girlfriend HAD an abortion while he was still living here. Here's the real tragedy of it. I would have taken a bullet for him. He chose Trump over me. Do you think Trump would take a bullet for him?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Delarage (1,029 posts)

4. That's a shame

Sounds like his inner racist/anti-semitic elements were exposed. A lot of people were good at hiding that until 45 came along and freed them all.

My sister became a Trumper--unbelievably--but seems to be more Ayn Randian as far as I can tell before our conversations become arguments. Those folks worship him because he's "rich" supposedly, which makes him naturally superior to all other beings. That and a healthy dose of RW radio and Faux News did her in

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member Ilsa (55,559 posts)

5. Sadly, this part of his personality would have emerged

eventually under other circumstances. I had a friendship break up eight years ago, but it wasn't about Mittens vs Obama. It was about her changing values, her harsh tone in telling me how to parent, etc.

:whatever:

Star Member Laelth (25,787 posts)

7. Typical Cluster B personality disorder behavior.

This person (a natural parasite) is feeding on your emotional reactions. No contact and maximum distance are what I recommend. Let this person go. Protect yourself. The eventual separation will only be worse the longer you prolong the relationship.

-Laelth

tulipsandroses (2,008 posts)

9. Sounds like your friend has been brainwashed. I lost a friend under similar circumstances

Yes it does hurt. After all, its still losing someone that has been a part of your life. This too shall pass.

My friend would send me crazy conspiracy videos and stuff he found on youtube and facebook and we would have frequent arguments. He's black by the way, so it wasn't really about Trump- although in the beginning he did not object to trump - since he had anti govt streak and saw trump as anti govt. I think the internet can be so dangerous for some folks. They get sucked into these websites and some of these personalities. On these nazi sites he visits, your friend was probably groomed very well. I look at these sites, the same way I see gang recruitment, very easy for someone who is already disaffected, low self esteem, angry about their lot in life to fall prey to this kind of thinking.

Star Member The Velveteen Ocelot (85,510 posts)

13. The white supremacist web sites use the same recruiting psychology and methods as ISIS.

SiliconValley_Dem (910 posts)

10. cool story

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LuckyCharms (7,668 posts)

19. Are you implying that the OP is lying? Because if you are...

perhaps you have not been here long enough to know that is usually not a wise course of action to take.

Of course, I could have taken your response wrong. Maybe that's it.

:popcorn:

Star Member MontanaMama (13,486 posts)

37. Wow.

What? Clarify or delete. Very disrespectful comment.

Star Member obamanut2012 (17,851 posts)

52. you are such an edgelord

implying the OP is a liar

it goes on and on...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 09:47:27 AM »
I'll give that :bouncy: half a :stoner: for creative stereotype packing. Trump has nothing to do with any person's death from Covid-19.

Trump was acting when Dems were denouncing his actions as excessive, racist, and xenophobic.

Trump was acting to fight the coronavirus when Dems like Pelosi and Cuomo were undermining the fight by urging people to celebrate the Lunar New Year and other public activities.

Trump was acting to fight the coronavirus when China and WHO were lying to the world about human-human transmission of the virus.

Trump was acting to fight the coronavirus when WHO denounced travel shutdowns as unnecessary and harmful.

Trump was acting to fight the coronavirus when Cuomo and several other governors signed the death warrants of tens of thousands of seniors by forcing unprepared nursing homes to accept "recovered" Covid-19 patients, forbidding the facilities to test before accepting the patients.

When Trump pointed out that HCQ showed potential as and effective treatment, Dems and their MSM lapdogs attacked it. Because effective treatments give the lie to the Trump did nothing narrative.

Three vaccines are in or about to start the final testing stage before being authorized, and Trump-Haters are already ginning up the lie that any vaccine that is released is "untested". Because effective vaccines would give the lie to the Trump did nothing narrative.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »
People are right to be skeptical of that story. It looks very scripted, with the supposed "friend" walking into perfectly laid "not all lives matter" and "globalist=Jews" traps. Then there's the usual tropes about NAZI websites, right-wing violence, and so on. Also, if this friend were actually a hardcore right-winger, he would know better then to accept a claim like "the FBI proved that literally all the violence was caused by right wing groups."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:14:11 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »
Thanks, Dutch!!

Perfect.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
Star Member hurple (840 posts)

14. Hey, at least it was *just* a friend...

My parents chose Trump over me.

About a month or so prior to Thanksgiving 2019, I posted a tirade about the kids in cages thing, pointing out that I now have 4 grandkids, all between 1 and 3, and thinking of them, alone, locked in cages, was heartbreaking. I ended by saying that if you support trump and you support that policy that you are an inhuman monster who should be lined up against a wall and handed a blindfold.

My mom went off asking how I could say something like that about her and my father, then promptly cancelled coming to visit for Xmas.

And I've not seen or heard from either of them since.

:lmao:

That's a shame, and what a waste, too.  It was Obama who put them in cages. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:14 AM »

:rotf: :rotf:

I love those stories. They’re my favorite lies they love to tell.

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »

The pictures are from 2014. I guess  :stoner: -sucking DUmmies can't do Math.

SiliconValley_Dem (910 posts)

10. cool story

:-) I promise, this is not me! :-) ... :rotf:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »

About a month or so prior to Thanksgiving 2019, I posted a tirade about the kids in cages thing, pointing out that I now have 4 grandkids, all between 1 and 3, and thinking of them, alone, locked in cages, was heartbreaking. I ended by saying that if you support trump and you support that policy that you are an inhuman monster who should be lined up against a wall and handed a blindfold.

My mom went off asking how I could say something like that about her and my father, then promptly cancelled coming to visit for Xmas.

No DUmbass, your parents did not choose President Trump over you. You chose the hate, intolerance and bigotry of your politics over your parents.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 01:23:04 PM »
Oh, the FBI proved all the violence was started by Right Wingers, hmmmm?  I don't seem to recall that actually happening on my Planet Earth.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 02:22:21 PM »
Oh, the FBI proved all the violence was started by Right Wingers, hmmmm?  I don't seem to recall that actually happening on my Planet Earth.

It happened in a perpendicular  :stoner: -DUniverse.

Offline hillneck

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »
Star Member Laelth (25,787 posts)
7. Typical Cluster B personality disorder behavior.
This person (a natural parasite) is feeding on your emotional reactions.

Here's this DUmmie talking about other DUmmies and democRATS in general. 
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 02:28:01 PM »
Here's this DUmmie talking about other DUmmies and democRATS in general.

To use (resurrect?) an old Rush-ism, Star Moron Laelth is playing at being a psych-a-mo-babbler.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »

Sigh. It starts with you, not your parents.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »
ChoppinBroccoli (3,217 posts)

It probably shouldn't bother me, but it does. When I met this guy, he was a very thoughtful, independent thinker with many good ideas and was definitely not prone to slavish adherence to ideology. We had many very deep conversations about philosophy and religion and the law and all kinds of stuff. He claimed he was a Libertarian, and was always in favor of freedom in every way and at all times. He hated Fox News, George W. Bush, and many of the things Republicans stood for. He voted for Obama twice. But sometime in 2016, he decided that he loved Trump. He said, "I don't know why I like him. I think maybe it's the troll in me that just thinks it's funny when he trolls people."

Over the next few weeks and months, he became more and more in the thrall of all things Trump, and he no longer was the person I had known only months before. Out of the clear blue sky, he became obsessed with buying a gun. The the anti-Obama rhetoric started ratcheting up. He said something to the effect that he was a "Nationalist" and believed in "America First," which was a surprise to me because until then, he was very anti-war and anti-interventionist. At one point, he became violently angry at a Coke commercial because there was a Muslim girl in it (remember the Coke commercial they ran back then showing people saying "Merry Christmas" in all different languages). He literally shouted at the screen, "OF COURSE they have to put a MUSLIM in it They ALWAYS have to include a Muslim!!!" I was like, "Way to miss the entire point of the commercial." Later that very same day, an ad for Hillary ran on the TV showing quotes of things Trump had actually said, and one of them was some reference to a woman being a "big, fat pig." He turned to me and said, "He said those things about Rosie O'Donnell. He wasn't talking about a PERSON. He was talking about Rosie O'Donnell." At that point, I was like, "Who ARE you?"

At the beginning of 2017, he moved back to Michigan to be near his family again. And it was all downhill after that. He moved back to Ohio in April of this year, and he was very different. He told me he never had and never WILL wear a mask because the Coronavirus is nothing but a big hoax. I let all this stuff go in the interest of keeping the peace. He then told me he wouldn't be watching football games with me this year because he was tired of the NFL telling him he was racist because he didn't like kneeling, or that they had "sold out to Black Lives Matter." In that conversation, he repeatedly used the word "cuck," and I think we all know what that means. He's been spending time on right-wing, borderline Nazi (or even full-blown Nazi) websites.

And then tonight, the final blow came down. We were making plans to start working out together again, and he asked me what my gym's mask policy was. That sent him on an anti-mask tirade, to which I said that if selfish assholes would just wear masks, this virus would go away. He was incredulous that I would call him a selfish asshole, to which I replied that if he didn't care enough to do literally the least intrusive thing possible to ensure I don't bring home a deadly virus to my kids and diabetic mother, then yes, you ARE a selfish asshole. He then launched into a tirade about how this is all a big hoax, mortality rates are plummeting, 99% of the people who get it have no symptoms at all, and the only people dying from it are old people. I said, "I guess All Lives don't Matter anymore, then." He didn't like that.

He then launched into the protests, and how only the "panty wad libs" are causing trouble and creating violence in the streets. I told him the FBI proved that literally all the violence was cause by right-wing extremist groups. He then guffawed heartily that I was stupid enough to trust the FBI. He called them "scumbag globalists" or something close to that. I said, "I've never heard the FBI called Jews before, but whatever. He acted like he had no idea where I would get that. I told him that I know the secret code words the alt-right use, and I know that "globalists" means "Jews." He then acted all indignant that I would have the temerity to call him an antisemite, said some very unsavory things to me, and then told me he was blocking my number.

So that friendship is over. It bothers me a little because we were really good friends for a long time, but he became so immersed in the Cult of Trump that he lost every scintilla of his own personality and swore fealty to Herr Trump. He used to talk about how he loved freedom, and now he hates people kneeling during the National Anthem. I bet he's even anti-abortion now, despite the fact that his girlfriend HAD an abortion while he was still living here. Here's the real tragedy of it. I would have taken a bullet for him. He chose Trump over me. Do you think Trump would take a bullet for him?

It is not the end of the world.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
I just watched some of insufferable jackass Ana Kasparian's coverage of the shootings in CHAZ. Even she didn't accuse the right of having committed the shootings (in this instance), it was all "Oh, it's too soon, we don't know enough" etc.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
I try not to read the B-S from the DUmp but it's always a good laugh to see how stupid they all are.  :lmao:
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 10:42:58 AM »
    Ilsa (55,559 posts)

5. Sadly, this part of his personality would have emerged

eventually under other circumstances. I had a friendship break up eight years ago, but it wasn't about Mittens vs Obama. It was about her changing values, her harsh tone in telling me how to parent, etc.

"Stop making your sons wear dresses," seems like good advice to me.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 07:55:37 AM »
I give this bouncy three bongs.  Automatically gets one bong for starting with "So..." Two more because it includes so many lefty stereotype talking points. The DUmmie is doing a great job of building DUmmie street cred.

No conversion back to leftism and no cops leaping out of bushes though.

Offline ADsOutburst