Author Topic: Coleman team virtually guarantees lawsuit  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Coleman team virtually guarantees lawsuit
« on: January 02, 2009, 06:08:54 PM »
there may be no joy in mudville . . . .

Coleman team virtually guarantees lawsuit

Sen. Norm Coleman’s (R-Minn.) attorneys said Friday that there will be a legal challenge to the recount in the senator’s reelection race, and conceded that they are almost certainly the ones that will bring it.

“I think that an election challenge here is inevitable,” said Coleman lawyer Fritz Knaak, adding that there is “no doubt” in his mind.

Knaak then acknowledged that the actions of the state canvassing board will likely leave Democrat Al Franken ahead. Franken currently leads by 49 votes out of nearly 3 million cast.

“If, in fact, some of the errors that we see that haven’t been cured in the numbers and in the ballots continue, as we expect them to, I would be very surprised if we weren’t the ones bringing the action,” Knaak said.

Coleman’s lawyers are still pushing for the inclusion of about 650 improperly rejected absentee ballots, which would go on top of 1,350 already in play.

More

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Coleman team virtually guarantees lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:02:17 AM »
Well... this is interesting :popcorn:
The newly minted National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) chairman John Cornyn (R-Texas) said he had not whipped votes in the GOP caucus, but added that he could not imagine any members defecting and seating Franken without a certificate of election.

Franken will not have that certificate as long as the election is challenged in the courts — a likely scenario, with Sen. Norm Coleman’s (R-Minn.) legal team already attacking the credibility of the recount process.

“This is a very, very serious matter,” Cornyn said. “I can assure you that there will be no way that people on our side of the aisle will agree to seat any senator without a valid certificate.”

Some have suggested that Franken could be seated provisionally, which would allow for any court challenges to play out and potentially change the outcome.

But since Minnesota state law won’t provide Franken a certificate of election with an election contest pending, seating Franken could be a risky and difficult proposition.

LINK
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Coleman team virtually guarantees lawsuit
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:48:46 AM »
I saw that, Chris, and I'm in total agreement.  Senator Cornyn knows how to play hardball.  And so does Senator McConnell.   :-)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.