Author Topic: Martial arts  (Read 4203 times)

Offline unbiased

Martial arts
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am a former wrestler who has found judo as a fun way to stay in shape as an adult.  Believe me, if there were such a thing in my area as adult wrestling, I'd do it.  Since there isn't, judo is the closest thing because it is a grappling art.  Anyway, I have been getting sore joints lately.  I'm sure this is due to aging, I'm 38.  But judo and wrestling are the only ways of working out that I find fun and therefore, probably the only way I will keep working out.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to ease joint pain that is caused by constant pounding?  I know a lot of wrestlers end up having joint problems, but I don't train as much or as hard as them.  So, I was wondering if any of you knew about stretching excersises or any other techniques that can keep me on the mat.  Once I can't grapple, I don't know what I will do for excersise and I don't want to think I have to quit at such a young age.  Any help any of you could give me would be appreciated.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Martial arts
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »
If you note the "rosette" in my sig line, you should KNOW what that means. Ibuprofen helps. There's a form of stretching called, PNF Stretching. Your sensei should know about that.  What area of the country are you in??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline unbiased

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
If you note the "rosette" in my sig line, you should KNOW what that means. Ibuprofen helps. There's a form of stretching called, PNF Stretching. Your sensei should know about that.  What area of the country are you in??

I am in Ohio.  My instructor is from Korea, he was actually the Korean athelete of the year in 67 and finished 4th in the World Games.  He has tried actupressure techniques on my shoulders and they didn't help.  He doesn't know actupuncture.  He has given me several stretching excersises, but none seem to help.

I have no idea what PNF stretching is.  I would love all the help you can give me.  So, do tell, if you can.  If I need to google it I will do that, but I like to hear from actual people more.  So anything you could tell me will be appreciated.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
I am in Ohio.  My instructor is from Korea, he was actually the Korean athelete of the year in 67 and finished 4th in the World Games.  He has tried actupressure techniques on my shoulders and they didn't help.  He doesn't know actupuncture.  He has given me several stretching excersises, but none seem to help.

I have no idea what PNF stretching is.  I would love all the help you can give me.  So, do tell, if you can.  If I need to google it I will do that, but I like to hear from actual people more.  So anything you could tell me will be appreciated.

Well, if you're into competitive Judo, then you're GOING to have sore joints. That's the nature of the sport. I'm on a constant diet of Ibuprofen & Vicodin due to injuries, not all related to Judo, but a majority of them. Stretching helps, sometimes. Sometimes, one just needs to take it easy and/ or take a break. Leo White hyper-extended my right elbow back in 92/93 during some ne waza in Va Beach. It STILL gives me grief once in a while. It took six or seven years to get mostly over it. It was similar to this juji gatame

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lABaY9N50[/youtube]

Here is about PNF Stretching: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/pnfstretching.html (It's easier for you to read a good explanation than it is for me to try to type it out)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline unbiased

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the help, I will definitely give those stretches a try.  I know from my years of wrestling that I am going to have sore joints, but my shoulders are getting to the point of ridiculous.  It's weird, when I do my uchikomi's and throws, they are fine.  Once I relax, they throb.  I have gotten to the point of sleeping on my back because I can't take the pressure on my shoulders when laying on my side.  I'll bet my technique is off just a touch in my morote seionage, and that is what's causing it.

I guess I'll get on the regimine if ibuprofen and stretching.  Again, thanks for your help.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
You must be shorter than average. Seoi Nage is a throw I stay away from because I'm 6'4". The drop kneed Seoi Nage is probably what helped to do in my knees.  Tai Otoshi is one of my better throws. O Goshi isn't too bad and  Osoto Gari is my best, especially when followed through to the mat.

Also, use caution on the Ibuprofen. One CAN take too much of that and it will harm your kidneys. Liquid Vitamin D3 has helped my lower back problems, so you might want to get some of that as it helps with chronic pain.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »
I've been getting into dynamic stretching because of its capabilities to reduce muscle tightness better than static. It's been shown to reduce occurrence of musculotendinous tears more so than statics in physical exertion.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline unbiased

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
You must be shorter than average. Seoi Nage is a throw I stay away from because I'm 6'4". The drop kneed Seoi Nage is probably what helped to do in my knees.  Tai Otoshi is one of my better throws. O Goshi isn't too bad and  Osoto Gari is my best, especially when followed through to the mat.

Also, use caution on the Ibuprofen. One CAN take too much of that and it will harm your kidneys. Liquid Vitamin D3 has helped my lower back problems, so you might want to get some of that as it helps with chronic pain.

As a fellow judoka, it didn't take you long to figure I was only 5'3", did it.  I love tai otoshi, too.  But, I have found that I can't hit it unless someone fears my morote or ippon seionage.  I also love the ippon to ko ouchi gari because most people will step right into that one.

Most of my classmates are tall, like you.  They like the O soto gari or harai goshi or uchi mata.  That's cool that you can hit tai otoshi at your height.  I actually have my black belt test on November 20th.  My instructors brothers are flying in from Florida and California (to Ohio) to help judge.  Ill let you know how it goes.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »
As a fellow judoka, it didn't take you long to figure I was only 5'3", did it.  I love tai otoshi, too.  But, I have found that I can't hit it unless someone fears my morote or ippon seionage.  I also love the ippon to ko ouchi gari because most people will step right into that one.

Most of my classmates are tall, like you.  They like the O soto gari or harai goshi or uchi mata.  That's cool that you can hit tai otoshi at your height.  I actually have my black belt test on November 20th.  My instructors brothers are flying in from Florida and California (to Ohio) to help judge.  Ill let you know how it goes.

Actually, during a Randori, I broke a guy's leg with Tai OToshi. A spiral fracture of his left leg. He had to have it wired. Silly wrestler, thought he could work in with us Judokas.  :fuelfire: He got stationed at one of my squadrons a few months later. I felt pretty bad about it. Like wrestlers like to do, he tried to grip the mat with his feet instead of allowing the throw to happen.

Offline unbiased

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
Actually, during a Randori, I broke a guy's leg with Tai OToshi. A spiral fracture of his left leg. He had to have it wired. Silly wrestler, thought he could work in with us Judokas.  :fuelfire: He got stationed at one of my squadrons a few months later. I felt pretty bad about it. Like wrestlers like to do, he tried to grip the mat with his feet instead of allowing the throw to happen.

Ha! Ha! That is funny.  Only because it wasn't until I tore my ACL that I learned to let the throw happen.  I wrestled for 25 years before taking up judo and we were definitely not taught to let it go (in wrestling), even in practice.

I still site wrestling as my favorite sport, but once you make the conversion, you better make it or a judoka will hurt you.  I hope you guys are still friends.  The dude who broke my knee has become one of my best friends.

Those who aren't into the grappling arts will never understand people like you and I!! I couldn't live without it!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
Ha! Ha! That is funny.  Only because it wasn't until I tore my ACL that I learned to let the throw happen.  I wrestled for 25 years before taking up judo and we were definitely not taught to let it go (in wrestling), even in practice.

I still site wrestling as my favorite sport, but once you make the conversion, you better make it or a judoka will hurt you.  I hope you guys are still friends.  The dude who broke my knee has become one of my best friends.

Those who aren't into the grappling arts will never understand people like you and I!! I couldn't live without it!

I only live without it because I'm forced to do so. 3 spine surgeries and a disease that is killing my motor skills. At best, I MIGHT be able to do kata and that's only IF I find a very good partner. I MISS it a LOT...

Offline unbiased

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »
I only live without it because I'm forced to do so. 3 spine surgeries and a disease that is killing my motor skills. At best, I MIGHT be able to do kata and that's only IF I find a very good partner. I MISS it a LOT...

I'm sorry to read that.  I certainly meant no disrespect.  Good luck I will pray for you!  The joke in my house is, from Mary's (my wife) lips to God's ears.  Seems like he listens to her more than anyone else I know.  So, I will toss your name in, if your cool with that.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
I'm sorry to read that.  I certainly meant no disrespect.  Good luck I will pray for you!  The joke in my house is, from Mary's (my wife) lips to God's ears.  Seems like he listens to her more than anyone else I know.  So, I will toss your name in, if your cool with that.

Thanks!! He sure ain't listened to me....