Author Topic: Do you have plans for Labor Day weekend?  (Read 9525 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Re: Do you have plans for Labor Day weekend?
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »
We don't get holidays off other than Thanksgiving and Christmas. The sad thing is if they could force us in on those days without a mutiny they would...

I took my vacation before and after the holiday, so that is why it worked out.

Twice this summer I watched fireworks from work. It sucked. Not sure if I would of went to see them otherwise, but it stirs up emotions in me as I really start to miss my father on holidays.

I did get  holiday pay on top of my regular pay, that always helps.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »
Have fun, Rob!  My husband is from Monmouth, IL.  Kind of close to the Quad Cities.

We don't have any plans.  Just finishing up packing since we close the Wednesday after Labor Day.  We are both off on Monday, of course, but I will work if they decide to let us.  Labor Day isn't a big deal to me.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
RobJohnson

I love the look of this town.  So wonderful!  I would love to visit a place or live here

I am going to go paintballing and have my youngest son's bday party with my sil's kids.  Her father passed away 2 weeks ago when we were going to do it so we had to cancel.

They shut down that street and put on an amazing Victorian CHRISTmas walk. With live window displays. People come from all over to attend. Many travel down from Chicago to visit. (150 miles) The streets are full of love, joy and peace during that night!

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 06:41:29 AM »
They shut down that street and put on an amazing Victorian CHRISTmas walk. With live window displays. People come from all over to attend. Many travel down from Chicago to visit. (150 miles) The streets are full of love, joy and peace during that night!

does crime go up?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »
What is this "weekend" thing of which you speak ?

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 11:03:40 PM »
Have fun, Rob!  My husband is from Monmouth, IL.  Kind of close to the Quad Cities.

We don't have any plans.  Just finishing up packing since we close the Wednesday after Labor Day.  We are both off on Monday, of course, but I will work if they decide to let us.  Labor Day isn't a big deal to me.

My brother in law graduated from Monmouth High School. His parents owed the Monmouth Hotel which is now the Monmouth bank. There is marble from the walls in that hotel that is now used as park benches in the town. They had a few bucks.

His parents are gone now, but I always enjoyed going to their house for holidays. Even when my own parents were snow birds and not around for the holidays. I always had an open invitation, great people. Friendly town.

I used to have several relatives, including myself that did not live too far from Monmouth at different times. We would go there for dinner once in a while as a kid.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »
I am hoping for a nice long quiet weekend.  Been burning oil at all ends and the deadline for most of my projects at the moment is 8/31.  I also will be taking a certification test on 8/28, so when not working, I am studying, or thinking about studying.  I believe I will be headed out to East Texas, to my buddies farm and looking at farm life while enjoying some good visits, food and drink.

Good luck on the test.

I need to get my butt in gear. I need to complete 20 continuing eduction credits by October for Nevada and one of the hours has to be a "live law" class and I still don't know the date or time and either does my company!

It's job security, but a pain every two years. Then in April I need to complete 30 hours for my national certification...

Most of the courses we can't even legally share with the people we serve due to our state laws.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:10:36 PM by RobJohnson »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »
Good luck on the test.

I need to get my butt in gear. I need to complete 20 continuing eduction credits by October for Nevada and one of the hours has to be a "live law" class and I still don't know the date or time and either does my company!

It's job security, but a pain every two years. Then in April I need to complete 30 hours for my national certification...

Most of the courses we can't even legally share with the people we serve due to our state laws.

Thanks, this is the first of 9 tests, and they just get rougher from here.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
Thanks, this is the first of 9 tests, and they just get rougher from here.

Yikes!

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »

Yikes!

Yeah, I should be finished in a little over two years.  I sure did pick a boring career! 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
Yeah, I should be finished in a little over two years.  I sure did pick a boring career! 

Any career is a good career right now.

I just feel Blessed that I have been able to keep the same job for over four years.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 06:31:57 PM »
My brother in law graduated from Monmouth High School. His parents owed the Monmouth Hotel which is now the Monmouth bank. There is marble from the walls in that hotel that is now used as park benches in the town. They had a few bucks.

His parents are gone now, but I always enjoyed going to their house for holidays. Even when my own parents were snow birds and not around for the holidays. I always had an open invitation, great people. Friendly town.

I used to have several relatives, including myself that did not live too far from Monmouth at different times. We would go there for dinner once in a while as a kid.

My mother-in-law used to work at that bank.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
My mother-in-law used to work at that bank.

Small world.  :-)

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
Nothing extraordinary, if the weather's nice I imagine we'll grill stuff.  My son starts school 9/5 (he'll be a junior!) but has everything he needs for school so I don't anticipate any last minute shopping. I have to get him in for his sports physical this week as my co-worker is taking vacay next week and won't be able to cover for me.

Any Monday off is a GOOD Monday, as far as I'm concerned!   :-)
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 03:24:44 AM »
If my plans work out my vacation will be extended by three or more days.

I will know tomorrow.  :-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4[/youtube]
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4[/youtube]

Yes, I foresee THIS in my future for the weekend as well!
Piney Power!!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »
Mrs. E and I were invited over to a friend of her's on Friday night. The reason wasn't so much social as it was practical -- the friend's husband is in the market for purchase of a euphonium and I'm the guy with the answers.   :whistling:

Apart from that, I've already resurrected a project I'd started on back in 2005 and had put on the back burner. Hell, it's been so long on the back burner that the pilot light's gone out. But I'll be re-reviewing my information and writing and the re-writing again and again and again until I'm sick of it.

But this project will go on past this weekend.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »
Mrs. E and I were invited over to a friend of her's on Friday night. The reason wasn't so much social as it was practical -- the friend's husband is in the market for purchase of a euphonium and I'm the guy with the answers.   :whistling:

Apart from that, I've already resurrected a project I'd started on back in 2005 and had put on the back burner. Hell, it's been so long on the back burner that the pilot light's gone out. But I'll be re-reviewing my information and writing and the re-writing again and again and again until I'm sick of it.

Are you composing something musical, Eupher?
Piney Power!!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
Are you composing something musical, Eupher?

No, I'm writing a book. Seriously.

I've not had enough training to be a composer. Wouldn't do that anyway -- it's never interested me. Arranging, yes, but not composing.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
Fiction or non?
Piney Power!!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »

Shades of Eupher?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
Fiction or non?

Non. It's an historical account of the 298th Army Band, sprinkled with a lot of anecdotes and personal accounts of those who served there. Deactivated now, it was stationed in West Berlin from 1945 till 1994. Nobody else is writing it, so I am.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »

Shades of Eupher?

:-)

Oh, I have a thing or two to say in the book.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »
Cool. :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.