Author Topic: Do you have plans for Labor Day weekend?  (Read 9523 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Do you have plans for Labor Day weekend?
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
I'm on paid leave from work due to my neck surgery, but things should be wrapped up next week just in time to fly out of Las Vegas Thursday morning. I purchased my nonstop ticket in June and it was quite affordable.

I will be heading back home, to the Quad Cities and surrounding areas for a week.

5 cities, two states, one big river in the middle

Quad Cities USA

They make these in Moline & East Moline, IL...I used to paint parts for the cabs when I was 19 years old...

This is Geneseo, IL the town I lived in worked in off and on for 10 years. When I was in the car biz, you move around a lot...but for the last four years of my life in IL this was my town I lived in worked in...6,500 residents. Geneseo is also the home of the Springfield Armory and Armalite. Rock River Arms and Lewis Machine is not too far away either. Crime was pretty low in that town. The town is known for it's Victorian homes.

I spent 5 years when I was young working here. Some of the aluminum we made might be in your home or business! Or the next time you are on a plane look out at the wing and think, did Rob Johnson mix the alloy right? The world's largest aluminum mill, ALCOA Davenport Works, in Riverdale, IA

The air was toxic inside that plant! Our cars all won insurance checks for paint damage. But it was safe for us to breathe while working.  :lmao:

I will be staying with friends that live close to where the Quad City Air Show will be Sept 1 & 2nd...the Blue Angles will be in town...I can watch it from their yard.

I don't normally drink. But I do usually tie one on when I am on vacation.  :cheersmate:

What are your plans?

Offline thundley4

Re: Do you have plans for Labor Day weekend?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »
5 cities, two states, one big river in the middle

Quad Cities USA

I do not think that word means what they think it means.  :-)

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:38:39 AM »
I do not think that word means what they think it means.  :-)

Explain.

It used to be four cities. One was pissed off and joined the group. Sorta like the Big 10

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »
Explain.

It used to be four cities. One was pissed off and joined the group. Sorta like the Big 10

Which would make it Penta Cities?

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 01:26:51 AM »
Which would make it Penta Cities?

Just roll with it.  :rofl:

East Moline & Moline have been trying to merge for years.  :lmao:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
Just roll with it.  :rofl:

East Moline & Moline have been trying to merge for years.  :lmao:

I from down in Decatur, more so from a small town near Decatur, but living in Decatur now, so I'm familiar with the Quad Cities, but haven't been there many times.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:02:26 AM »
I from down in Decatur, more so from a small town near Decatur, but living in Decatur now, so I'm familiar with the Quad Cities, but haven't been there many times.

You are where ADM (Another Dead Man) makes all that ethanol!

My brain also just made the facebook connection.  :-)  Good posting there also, friend.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:50 AM »
You are where ADM (Another Dead Man) makes all that ethanol!

My brain also just made the facebook connection.  :-)  Good posting there also, friend.

ADM has kept me employed for many years by sending motors to our shop.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:06 AM »
ADM has kept me employed for many years by sending motors to our shop.

That is a good thing!

I was on the dark side when they had their big labor dispute in the early 90's..... :-)  
I was an elected union rep & all that stupid stuff...It was not all stupid. I was able to work on all the new mills first. I was on a joint company/union safety and labor task force in which we eliminated and combined jobs to be more efficient. I saved a few people from getting hurt, a couple from getting fired, helped a couple others get fired before they killed someone, and at 23 years old had my own office and a Cushman to ride around the plant in. Then I screwed up my shoulder and back when a 93 year old lady ran a red light and I nailed her car on my way to work.  Everytime I returned to work the production jobs freaking killed me with pain.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:18:48 AM by RobJohnson »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »
I am hoping for a nice long quiet weekend.  Been burning oil at all ends and the deadline for most of my projects at the moment is 8/31.  I also will be taking a certification test on 8/28, so when not working, I am studying, or thinking about studying.  I believe I will be headed out to East Texas, to my buddies farm and looking at farm life while enjoying some good visits, food and drink.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »
If the weather is nice, I'll be outside working on my car(s).  My Toyota needs work and I will probably manage to procrastinate until then.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »
If God is still hearing and answering prayers (last time I checked, he was...) we'll be moving OUT of our tent, and INTO our new house.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:44:09 AM »
Working.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Undies

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »
I plan to spend the day regulating my vowels in anticipation of a long-ish car trip later in the week.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
My husband will be working on our stairs. He has worked the last two weekend figuring out exactly how he is going to do it (and drew it on the wall), what he needs to order and what he can get at lowes and home depot. 

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
If God is still hearing and answering prayers (last time I checked, he was...) we'll be moving OUT of our tent, and INTO our new house.

:cheersmate:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
Working.

I worked most of the other holidays this year, so it's my turn to take some time off.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
My husband will be working on our stairs. He has worked the last two weekend figuring out exactly how he is going to do it (and drew it on the wall), what he needs to order and what he can get at lowes and home depot. 

It sounds like a good weekend for a project!

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »
I worked most of the other holidays this year, so it's my turn to take some time off.

We don't get holidays off other than Thanksgiving and Christmas. The sad thing is if they could force us in on those days without a mutiny they would...
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline CG6468

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »
I'll be at my sister's, awaiting her return home from the hospital from her surgery.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
RobJohnson

I love the look of this town.  So wonderful!  I would love to visit a place or live here

I am going to go paintballing and have my youngest son's bday party with my sil's kids.  Her father passed away 2 weeks ago when we were going to do it so we had to cancel.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
I am hoping for a nice long quiet weekend.  Been burning oil at all ends and the deadline for most of my projects at the moment is 8/31.  I also will be taking a certification test on 8/28, so when not working, I am studying, or thinking about studying.  I believe I will be headed out to East Texas, to my buddies farm and looking at farm life while enjoying some good visits, food and drink.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! 

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »

Occupier?   :fuelfire:

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
Occupier?   :fuelfire:

Not really.  Horrible BOOOOOOOOSH economy.  :fuelfire:

Akshully, had to re-locate for a new job.  The 0-conomy is turning around for me. :cheers1:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »
Not really.  Horrible BOOOOOOOOSH economy.  :fuelfire:

Akshully, had to re-locate for a new job.  The 0-conomy is turning around for me. :cheers1:
Great to hear, good luck with it.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.