Author Topic: For BEG--Quilts to be auctioned  (Read 15715 times)

Offline SaintLouieWoman

For BEG--Quilts to be auctioned
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
Had to drop by and post a story of a little woman from Missouri who quilted very special quilts. She drew pictures of her famous baseball stars and sent them for autographs. It was a different time when so many of them were actually signed and returned. She died with no children and lots of heirs. So her nieces and nephews are putting these quilts, even the one that hung in the Baseball Hall of Fame, up for bid.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/A3C66EF409C931B9862576CD0016B431?OpenDocument

Baseball quilt is going, going...

Phyllis LaPlant of Farmington with a quilt titled "My Favorite Baseball Stars," made by her late aunt Clara Schmitt Rothmeier. The quilt, finished in 1965, contains stitchings of actual Mjor League players' signatures that Schmitt mostly solicited herself as well as hand-stitched profound likenesses of them. It took Schmitt 10 years to make. (Christian Gooden/P-D)BY STEPHEN DEERE
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
02/17/2010

Clara Schmitt Rothmeier could have told you a story about each of the 340 signatures on her baseball quilt — even the tiny ink stain on one of the cloth pieces.

Half a century ago, Rothmeier stitched together 44 portraits of baseball legends, along with hundreds of other players' signatures.

When she was alive, she considered giving it to a museum, or a single family member. But which one? What if it wound up in a basement collecting dust? And what was it worth anyway?

After all, it took her 10 years to sew the quilt, and it once hung in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

On Saturday, it will go to the highest bidder.

Rothmeier's other baseball memorabilia, including more than 10,000 baseball cards, other quilts and signed pictures, will also be up for sale at an auction in Union.
MORE METRO
 Get news, columns, photos and multimedia from the St. Louis area

The proceeds will be split among nearly 50 relatives. That's the way Rothmeier, who died last year at age 78 and who never had children of her own, wanted it.

"We would like for it to stay in the family," Travis Blankenship, Rothmeier's great nephew, said of her most famous quilt. "But you can't cut it up and split it 46 ways."

Some family members plan on bidding on it themselves.

"I've got a number in mind," said Phyllis LaPlant, one of Rothmeier's nieces. "I truly believe it will bring a lot more than what I am willing to pay for it."

Gene Blankenship, one of Rothmeier's nephews, said the quilt has been valued by different appraisers "anywhere from $10,000 to six figures."

Michael Barnes of the Barnes Sports Group, a business that represents buyers and sellers of sports collectibles, plans to bid on two of Rothmeier's quilts for a client — the one that hung in the Hall of Fame and another with signed portraits of the 1955 World Series champion Brooklyn Dodgers.

Barnes has researched sports auctions for the past five years, looking for sales of similar items. He couldn't find anything.

"It's going to be a stab in the dark in terms of what those are going to be valued at," he said. "They are just so unique."

LONGTIME BASEBALL FAN

Rothmeier was the second-youngest of 11 children, growing up in rural Franklin County.

She fell in love with baseball almost as soon as she could walk, family members say. Her father, William Jacob Schmitt, who was on a Pittsburgh Pirates minor league team in 1917, played catch with his kids until dark. When she was in her 20s, Rothmeier played first base on an amateur softball team in St. Louis and then got an offer to play for a fast pitch team in Springfield, Ill. To pass the time between games, she sewed.

As she got older, Rothmeier looked after her nieces and nephews, especially since she didn't have kids of her own.

"She used to sew us clothes," LaPlant said. "If she was taking my brothers to a rodeo, she would make them all shirts to match."

Rothmeier used to tell people she got the idea for baseball quilts from her sister, who sewed a quilt with a Cardinals emblem on it when Rothmeier was 4.

"I wanted it, but my mom wouldn't let me have it," Rothmeier told the San Francisco Chronicle in 1997. "My sister died when I was 6, and later on, when I really got interested in baseball, I asked my mom about the quilt again. But she thought it should be for my older brothers and sisters. So in the mid-1950s, I decided to start my own."

She drew 8-by-10-inch portraits of 61 of her favorite players, embroidering over them and sending them off to be autographed, along with a letter explaining her project and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

She got 44 portraits back. She called the quilt "My Favorite Baseball Stars."

Joe Adcock of the Milwaukee Braves was the first to sign his portrait. Stan Musial was next. Soon, Rothmeier had the signed, hand-sewn portraits of stars such as Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams.

Offline Flame

Re: For BEG--Quilts to be auctioned
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »
Cool.

Too bad I can't afford to bid!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
Very neat story! She sounds like she was a very nice lady, very cool.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
BEG, do you make quilts for people?  As in selling them?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:12:04 PM »
BEG, do you make quilts for people?  As in selling them?

Thanks for posting SLW, very interesting article. 

Hawkgirl: I have made quilts for people but have never sold them.  I have quilted quilt's for people (not pieced the quilt "top" but only did the actual quilting on the quilt) for money (probably only 5 or 6).  To make a quilt for someone from start to finish would cost so much that I wouldn't make any money, in fact I would probably lose money if you include the time put into it.

Take for instance the following baby quilts I made, it would cost well over $200 if you included the time it took me to sew the quilt tops, quilt the quilt and bind the quilt.  This is a baby size quilt (crib size).  Not including the burp clothes (which took me friggen forever to figure out my embroidery machine).

I made this quilt for a wife of a guy who works for my husband.  It was for her baby shower. 

I made this quilt for a teacher of my youngest daughter.  She was obviously having a boy.   :p

I made this quilt for a school raffle.  It is done in 1930's reproduction fabric.  My daughter's class basket (every class made a basket to be raffled off) was "baby girl".  I didn't even want to know what the basket brought as far a donation because I know I would be pissed.  Someone got a good deal.

I made this quilt for a friend of mine for her birthday. It would probably cost over $400 to replicate if you include the fabric, thread, batting and time to piece the quilt and paid to have someone quilt it. 

But I just quilted this quilt.  Someone else pieced (sewed) the quilt top.  I can't even remember what I charged to quilt this quilt.

Here is the back, you can see the quilting.

That is the first time I have even looked at any of my quilts since we moved.  It makes me want to start quilting again.  I have been out of the mood since moving.  Actually I was out of the mood since I found out we were moving.  I might make a quilt for you Hawkgirl because right now I need a project to get me motivated (of course I wouldn't charge you for my time, only the material if you are interested). 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
By the way, a quilt like the one in this article would cost so much to remake.  She HAND quilted the quilt and hand stitched the likeness of each of the baseball players.  It took her 10 years to sew the quilt. 

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
BEG ....your work is just beautiful!!!! You have such a gift!  :bow:

My grandmother was a quilter. She not only did piecework quilts but also did cross-stitch ones. I have a Tree of Life quilt that she did for me for my "hope chest" when I was young. She did all of her's by hand....it was what she did to "keep herself occupied".

I've never had the patience for doing them.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »
Awesome work BEG!  My grandmother and her sisters quilted, and I am lucky to have a few.  I can't sit still long enough to knit a scarf, much less quilt.  :)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
BEG...I remember those quilts when you posted them way back..and those images stuck with me...they are gorgeous.  I'd love a handmade quilt for my daughter for a twin size bed for when she gets older...it would be like a heirloom for me.  I'd even give you artist freedom in doing whatever you'd like(as long as it's for a girl..lol) How much would something like that cost??  I would LOVE a homemade quilt made by you!  Let me know...I am very interested.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
I had a 5 quilt a day habit. It started when I was just a casual user of wubbies but next thing I knew I was using the heavy stuff...comforters, duves, you name it. I tried to hide it from my family but the signs were all there; especially the needlework. It was a down time for me...and lots of bunting too. My girlfriend Janine never recovered. Last I heard she was in Los Angeles turning tricks for foreign businessmen just to get her hands on a cheap snuggie.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM »
BEG...I remember those quilts when you posted them way back..and those images stuck with me...they are gorgeous.  I'd love a handmade quilt for my daughter for a twin size bed for when she gets older...it would be like a heirloom for me.  I'd even give you artist freedom in doing whatever you'd like(as long as it's for a girl..lol) How much would something like that cost??  I would LOVE a homemade quilt made by you!  Let me know...I am very interested.

I don't know,it all depends on the fabric. What colors do you want?  I'd have to look at what I have again or look at fabric online and see. Let me know what type of quilt you want. I'll let you know the cost for the fabric before I would start anything.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 08:01:35 PM »
I don't know,it all depends on the fabric. What colors do you want?  I'd have to look at what I have again or look at fabric online and see. Let me know what type of quilt you want. I'll let you know the cost for the fabric before I would start anything.
I like pink and yellow or pink and green combinations for girls. Let me know what the price ranges are.....

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
I had a 5 quilt a day habit. It started when I was just a casual user of wubbies but next thing I knew I was using the heavy stuff...comforters, duves, you name it. I tried to hide it from my family but the signs were all there; especially the needlework. It was a down time for me...and lots of bunting too. My girlfriend Janine never recovered. Last I heard she was in Los Angeles turning tricks for foreign businessmen just to get her hands on a cheap snuggie.

That is pretty funny.   :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:20:54 PM »
I like pink and yellow or pink and green combinations for girls. Let me know what the price ranges are.....

Search Amy Butler and Michael Miller fabric and tell me if you like the style of any of the fabric.

Also look at the fabric at following link and let me know if you see anything you like.
http://www.fabric.com/CategoryDetail.aspx?CategoryID=b3e53625-4a19-4379-b954-fe5e44d6dac2
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:25:59 PM by BEG »

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »
Wow..there is so much out there...it is confusing...but these reach out to me...

Amy Butler Daisy Chain in Blush

link

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
I like these too from Michael Miller...

This isn't exactly in my color scheme...but it's beautiful..

These are also gorgeous....I guess I like contrast...

Offline debk

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
The second from the top is something that would work from toddler to teen and beyond.

Lots of different colors to work with.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:38 AM »
Ah, quilts.  I love quilts.  I collect pre-1940's.  I especially like the old friendship quilts with each square signed by the quilter.  I just know they have a story to tell 
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
Wow..there is so much out there...it is confusing...but these reach out to me...

Amy Butler Daisy Chain in Blush

link

What do you think of this pattern with the Amy Butler fabric you posted above?

http://spoonfullofsugargirls.blogspot.com/2009/08/midwest-modern-string-quilt.html

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »
I like these too from Michael Miller...

I LOVE this one

This one doesn't do it for me but it would be your quilt.  Actually it could be cute as an accent as it seems to go with the above fabric.

This isn't exactly in my color scheme...but it's beautiful..

LOVE this one too

These are also gorgeous....I guess I like contrast...

I like pink and brown

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »
OMGosh that site I linked to has adorable ideas.  Look at this idea for christmas tags....

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »
Hawkgirl, I saw a quilt the woman from that site I linked made with the same fabric that I made that baby quilt from (the first one I posted).  I really like it.

Offline debk

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
I like the white between the patches....

BEG...with it quilted like that....is it quilted in rows, then attach the rows?

Because my grandmother did it by hand, she had sawhorses that she put her's on and quilted it as a whole piece. I don't know how they are done when done by machine.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »
I like the white between the patches....

BEG...with it quilted like that....is it quilted in rows, then attach the rows?

Because my grandmother did it by hand, she had sawhorses that she put her's on and quilted it as a whole piece. I don't know how they are done when done by machine.

My aunt still does them that way.  Most of the time, the quilt isn't a perfect rectangle any more.  She's well over 90.

Offline debk

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
My aunt still does them that way.  Most of the time, the quilt isn't a perfect rectangle any more.  She's well over 90.

Wow! That makes the latest quilts all the more precious.