Author Topic: For BEG--Quilts to be auctioned  (Read 15667 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: For BEG--Quilts to be auctioned
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »
This is the fabric group you want to use correct? 

Daisy Chain Blush

If you want the fabrics at the link that group has 10 fabrics.  We would just have to figure out which two solid fabrics you would want.

Offline debk

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »
Pretty, pretty, pretty!!!!!

Um.... BEG....can I be your quilt marketer?   :-)

Such I deal I can work for you..... :uhsure:

Seriously....you could be making some serious money in specialty shops! I was serious about marketing your quilts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:16:37 PM by debk »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
This is the fabric group you want to use correct?  

Daisy Chain Blush

If you want the fabrics at the link that group has 10 fabrics.  We would just have to figure out which two solid fabrics you would want.

yes, those are the fabrics I want...you can choose whichever solids you think would match...oh, and Yes, it's for a twin size bed.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »
Ok I clicked on the color Okra and it came up with the Daisy Chain fabric.  It shows 4 colors that they think work with the fabric.

LINK

Okra, Solid Pink, Ivory and Slate.  Which two of the four would you like?

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »
I like the Okra...and then maybe Ivory?  or Pink? 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
Pretty, pretty, pretty!!!!!

Um.... BEG....can I be your quilt marketer?   :-)

Such I deal I can work for you..... :uhsure:

Seriously....you could be making some serious money in specialty shops! I was serious about marketing your quilts.

Deb I wouldn't sell them for the cost of the fabric.  If I were to sell the quilt I am making Hawkgirl I would charge no less than $450 when you take into account the fabric, time to cut out the fabric and piece the top, quilting the quilt, batting, thread & binding (and embroider a quilt label *optional*).  I don't know many people that would pay that for a quilt, especially a twin.

Hawkgirl, I googled Amy Butler "strippy quilt" and found someone who made a quilt with her pattern but left off the border, she just added more squares.  I personally like borders but I thought I would show it to you to see what you thought.  I could add a thinner border between the blocks and the larger border in one of the solid fabrics.  I think that would look nice.  

Link

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
I like the Okra...and then maybe Ivory?  or Pink? 

I like the Okra best, the ivory night be nice as a "resting" fabric because there is so much going on with the quilt.  But I like the pink too......

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
Let's do okra and ivory.  Also, I agree with you about the borders...I think it would be a nice way to "frame" the quilt and the blocks...as you said, thin around the blocks, and thick, solid border all around...probably in the Okra?

Do the quilts in that link have the same fabrics I chose?  it seems different.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
BTW...the solid color between the blocks, would define the blocks more, right?  Which is what I would like...

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »
I think I like the pink.  It has a "design wall" where you can put all the fabrics together.  I think the pink looks better than the Ivory.  But that is just me.  

Yes they have the same fabric.  The colors may be off a little.  They don't have all the fabric of the Blush collection though.  

Offline debk

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
Deb I wouldn't sell them for the cost of the fabric.  If I were to sell the quilt I am making Hawkgirl I would charge no less than $450 when you take into account the fabric, time to cut out the fabric and piece the top, quilting the quilt, batting, thread & binding (and embroider a quilt label *optional*).  I don't know many people that would pay that for a quilt, especially a twin.

Hawkgirl, I googled Amy Butler "strippy quilt" and found someone who made a quilt with her pattern but left off the border, she just added more squares.  I personally like borders but I thought I would show it to you to see what you thought.  I could add a thinner border between the blocks and the larger border in one of the solid fabrics.  I think that would look nice.  

Link

I was thinking more along the lines of $600-$700.

Buying a handmade quilt is an Heirloom.

I won't tell you how much I have paid for signed/numbered Teddy Bears!!!!! I originally bought them for my daughter when she was young, but when she moved out, she said she didn't want them anymore. Oh well....they are mine now!  :evillaugh: Maybe I will give them to her daughter in my will....or not.   :whatever:

She has no idea how much we (her father and I) paid for them!!!! There used to be (may still be there) a really neat boutique shop in Phipps Plaza in Atlanta where we got them. They sold all kinds of collectibles.

Your quilts fall into that category.

Oh....and I like the okra color.

Not all little girls grow up to like pink.  :uhsure:  Pale yellow is a neutral.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
I think I like the pink.  It has a "design wall" where you can put all the fabrics together.  I think the pink looks better than the Ivory.  But that is just me.  

Ok, so lets go with the pink....

See how these blocks are framed with the solid color, which makes them distinct blocks?  I like that...

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »

That's exactly what I said...this quilt she is making for us would be treasured as an heirloom...hopefully passed down from my daughter to her daughter...I mean, where could you get a custom made quilt nowadays? I heart BEG. :heart: :-)

Offline debk

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 04:46:04 PM »
That's exactly what I said...this quilt she is making for us would be treasured as an heirloom...hopefully passed down from my daughter to her daughter...I mean, where could you get a custom made quilt nowadays? I heart BEG. :heart: :-)

You can get them....at least around here....and probably in the area where your mountain home is.

But you will pay the prices that I said in the same post.

Most people would want a queen....and those would be close to $1000.

And yes BEG....people would pay that amount....even in this economy.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »
this is beautiful....I like the borders around the blocks...but I think they should be thinner...I also like the idea of the 4 different fabrics in the blocks...and I know that takes a lot more work....

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »

You can get them....at least around here....and probably in the area where your mountain home is.

yes, there is a quilt shop there....and they have beautiful quilts...but I never looked at the prices.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
BTW...the solid color between the blocks, would define the blocks more, right?  Which is what I would like...

Kind of like the following quilt (only with borders)?  Don't look at the size of the strips between the blocks as you can make it as wide or thin as you want.  We can experiment with the size before I start making all the blocks.  Also the size of the blocks are larger in this quilt than the Amy Butler quilt.  In the one below the blocks are 11" in the Amy Butler quilt they are 8.5".  I can make them any size.

Link

We will have to decide the size of the inner strips between the blocks before I make all of them because you "built" the strip into the blocks like this:

Link

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 04:52:03 PM »
Ok, so lets go with the pink....

See how these blocks are framed with the solid color, which makes them distinct blocks?  I like that...

Yes I see.  It is like the other strippy quilt I posted above with the blocks framed only that was using the Amy Butler pattern and adding a twist to it.  I can do that.  I will mock up a few and we can see how wide you want the solid color to be. 

Offline debk

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
yes, there is a quilt shop there....and they have beautiful quilts...but I never looked at the prices.

You don't want to.  :o :o :o

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 04:54:29 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of $600-$700.

I won't tell you how much I have paid for signed/numbered Teddy Bears!!!!! I originally bought them for my daughter when she was young, but when she moved out, she said she didn't want them anymore. Oh well....they are mine now!  :evillaugh: Maybe I will give them to her daughter in my will....or not.   :whatever:

She has no idea how much we (her father and I) paid for them!!!! There used to be (may still be there) a really neat boutique shop in Phipps Plaza in Atlanta where we got them. They sold all kinds of collectibles.

Your quilts fall into that category.

Oh....and I like the okra color.

Not all little girls grow up to like pink.  :uhsure:  Pale yellow is a neutral.

The amount I stated was not really including much of a profit (if any at all if you consider my time as money).  I seriously don't think many people would pay that for a quilt like what I make considering they are very "mod" and not heirloom like.  I can see paying that for an antique quilt.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
Kind of like the following quilt (only with borders)?  Don't look at the size of the strips between the blocks as you can make it as wide or thin as you want.  We can experiment with the size before I start making all the blocks.  Also the size of the blocks are larger in this quilt than the Amy Butler quilt.  In the one below the blocks are 11" in the Amy Butler quilt they are 8.5".  I can make them any size.

Link

We will have to decide the size of the inner strips between the blocks before I make all of them because you "built" the strip into the blocks like this:

Link

I think the inner strips between the blocks should be a bit bigger...but smaller than the quilt I posted....maybe like 1/4 inch strips??? or is that too big?
As for building the strips into the blocks....that looks hard...I thought you would just sew the blocks to the strips...but what do I know?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »
this is beautiful....I like the borders around the blocks...but I think they should be thinner...I also like the idea of the 4 different fabrics in the blocks...and I know that takes a lot more work....

The quilt you posted would be easier than the strippy quilt.  I actually think the width of the white fabric would be perfect if you had a white border on the outside.  The blocks would appear to be "floating".  

The fabric in that quilt is the same fabric as the first quilt I posted (the baby quilt I made for the wife of a guy who works for my husband).  

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »
The amount I stated was not really including much of a profit (if any at all if you consider my time as money).  I seriously don't think many people would pay that for a quilt like what I make considering they are very "mod" and not heirloom like.  I can see paying that for an antique quilt.

Today's mod is tomorrow's heirloom...you don't give yourself enough credit girl....Deb may be on to something here....you can even sell them online, especially if you custom make them to a client's preferences...kinda like what you're doing for me...I can be your guinnea pig...lol

I wouldn't be so sure there wouldn't be a market for custom made quilts....things like this usually work by word of mouth.  But I know there is a lot of work involved if you go into a business like this...it's a huge undertaking...but you can start small.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »
The quilt you posted would be easier than the strippy quilt.  I actually think the width of the white fabric would be perfect if you had a white border on the outside.  The blocks would appear to be "floating".  

The fabric in that quilt is the same fabric as the first quilt I posted (the baby quilt I made for the wife of a guy who works for my husband).  

Do you think this type of quilt would be easier on the eye than the strippy quilt?  I like both of them...the strippy quilt is alot more detailed though.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »
I'm officially very confused....