Author Topic: For BEG--Quilts to be auctioned  (Read 15666 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: For BEG--Quilts to be auctioned
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
Wow! That makes the latest quilts all the more precious.

She's given me and my sisters each one for the last 3 Christmases.  They rarely get used since our dog likes to chew on the yarn ties.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 12:53:03 PM »
I like the white between the patches....

BEG...with it quilted like that....is it quilted in rows, then attach the rows?

Because my grandmother did it by hand, she had sawhorses that she put her's on and quilted it as a whole piece. I don't know how they are done when done by machine.

No she pieced the quilt top like normal then attached the back, batting and quilt top either via safety pins, basting spray, needle and thread and did long stitches or there is this basting gun that uses the plastic things that they attach tags to clothes that you use on quilts.  You tape the backing down to the floor (in the corners), right side down, then put the batting and then the top (right side up).  Then you have this plastic thing with a grid pattern (think of a cooling rack that you use for cookies only bigger) that goes under the whole quilt "sandwich" and you poke the gun thing through all the quilt layers and pull the lever and it shoots one of the plastic things through all layers to keep it in place.  Then she put a piece of masking tape on the top and followed the line then moved the masking tape to the row she just sewed and followed the tape again.

Like this:

Here is the basting gun:

Here is what it looks like when you use a basting gun:

I don't have to do that because I have a quilting machine.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »
Here is my quilting machine. 

Sniffle, this was at our house in Dallas....it is in the garage here.   :(

Offline debk

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »
What a cool machine!

Do you even had a place to set it up in CA?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
What a cool machine!

Do you even had a place to set it up in CA?

We have an oversized three car garage (you can get 4 cars in it) and it is set up in one of the stalls.  Actually one stall is tandem boat deep, then there are two other stalls that are deeper than normal with cabinets across both stalls.  There are cabinets along the tandem area so it must be wider than normal as well.     

It is depressing to think I will have to quilt in the garage.  My husband is going to get a garage curtain to help keep it clean.  I'll have to lay a sheet on the ground every time I start a quilt.  I have my sewing machine and other things in my bedroom.  My bedroom is too large if you ask me and shaped really odd (like an L) so there is a perfect area to set up my sewing machine.  I still hate the idea of not having all my sewing stuff in a room.  It was impossible to find a house (in our price range) that had the room for the quilting machine that was close enough to my husbands work (and not gross).  We live far enough as it is.  If we could live further south or more in-land we could have afforded a place with enough room.  Actually our house has enough sq ft it just isn't arranged to accommodate the quilting machine (it is 14 ft long).  We wish we would have moved to Redondo Beach now.  I would have had to get rid of my quilting machine if we moved to Redondo Beach though.  My husband also has a project truck in the garage as well so we needed the room that this house had in the garage.

Offline debk

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
We have an oversized three car garage (you can get 4 cars in it) and it is set up in one of the stalls.  Actually one stall is tandem boat deep, then there are two other stalls that are deeper than normal with cabinets across both stalls.  There are cabinets along the tandem area so it must be wider than normal as well.     

It is depressing to think I will have to quilt in the garage.  My husband is going to get a garage curtain to help keep it clean.  I'll have to lay a sheet on the ground every time I start a quilt.  I have my sewing machine and other things in my bedroom.  My bedroom is too large if you ask me and shaped really odd (like an L) so there is a perfect area to set up my sewing machine.  I still hate the idea of not having all my sewing stuff in a room.  It was impossible to find a house (in our price range) that had the room for the quilting machine that was close enough to my husbands work (and not gross).  We live far enough as it is.  If we could live further south or more in-land we could have afforded a place with enough room.  Actually our house has enough sq ft it just isn't arranged to accommodate the quilting machine (it is 14 ft long).  We wish we would have moved to Redondo Beach now.  I would have had to get rid of my quilting machine if we moved to Redondo Beach though.  My husband also has a project truck in the garage as well so we needed the room that this house had in the garage.

You have my sympathy.....

We have an oversize 3-car garage....but two stalls are used for storage. We were so excited over the first floor layout here that we (me) didn't pay any attention to storage.

There isn't any.....at all. There are walkin closets with each bedroom, a hall closet in the foyer and back hall, a small closest in the laundry and another one with just shelves in the back hall.

On one of my "visits" here to measure rooms and such, I asked the wife where she had her Christmas stuff....she said "oh they are just put up in storage."

To me, that just meant somewhere in the house, and I wasn't going to go through snooping again.

I didn't know until after we moved in here....that "storage" meant somewhere in the storage FACILITY that they own!!  :banghead:

I moved out of 4000 sf with 1000sf of basement. I now use the garage. As a result....my car doesn't go in the garage....unless I want "to remove my junk from the garage".... :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 03:46:02 PM »
You have my sympathy.....

We have an oversize 3-car garage....but two stalls are used for storage. We were so excited over the first floor layout here that we (me) didn't pay any attention to storage.

There isn't any.....at all. There are walkin closets with each bedroom, a hall closet in the foyer and back hall, a small closest in the laundry and another one with just shelves in the back hall.

On one of my "visits" here to measure rooms and such, I asked the wife where she had her Christmas stuff....she said "oh they are just put up in storage."

To me, that just meant somewhere in the house, and I wasn't going to go through snooping again.

I didn't know until after we moved in here....that "storage" meant somewhere in the storage FACILITY that they own!!  :banghead:

I moved out of 4000 sf with 1000sf of basement. I now use the garage. As a result....my car doesn't go in the garage....unless I want "to remove my junk from the garage".... :(

We has a HUGE attic in Dallas.  It was as large as the house, you could have built a whole 2nd floor in the attic with out raising the roof.  Our house was 1.5 stories, only my sewing room (actually a "game room") was on the 2nd floor.  It was 3550 sq ft.  We used every room except for the dining room (we used it only on holidays).  I had 4 closets besides the bedroom closets in that house (one went all the way under the stairs) as well as closets in two of the bathrooms.

The house in CA has a walk in closet in our bedroom about the same size as our closet in Dallas but it has a nice closet system.  We have large closet in the study that use to be the master bedroom with three drawers (original to the house) under the closet (we also have a built in desk that has all kinds of drawers and cabinets).  A closet with a safe under the stairs as well as cabinets in the laundry room with two pull out laundry "drawers" but the laundry room is really small.  We have a lot of storage in the garage, more than we had in the garage in Dallas, actually a ton more but the attic storage is very small.  I consider us lucky as storage around here isn't common at all as the houses were all built between the 1920's - 1960's.  The 2nd house down from us took their closets out of the house to make the rooms bigger.  WTH?!?  The people that moved with us from my husbands work have a TON less storage than we do.  My friend Deb has a closet the size of a small fridge in her bedroom (her house was built in the 20's I believe).  They have no attic at all and the only storage they have besides their bedroom closets is a very small linen closet with three drawers under it.  Their kitchen has no storage at all.  All of their stuff is in their garage and they can't park any of their cars in their garage.   

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 03:51:57 PM »
What do you think of this pattern with the Amy Butler fabric you posted above?

http://spoonfullofsugargirls.blogspot.com/2009/08/midwest-modern-string-quilt.html

I like it! 

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »
Hawkgirl, I saw a quilt the woman from that site I linked made with the same fabric that I made that baby quilt from (the first one I posted).  I really like it.

I like the design of this and the pattern...but I think the squares should be a bit bigger??
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:04:20 PM by Hawkgirl »

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »
The second from the top is something that would work from toddler to teen and beyond.

Lots of different colors to work with.

yeah, I agree...I would like it as an accent if I went with the Michael Miller swatches.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 03:56:32 PM »
So, BEG...your artistic opinion on what I chose.....I am leaning a bit more towards the Amy Butler fabrics I chose as it's easier on the eye and calming..which is what I want for her bedroom.

How much dough are we talking?  ( I probably picked the most expensive fabric )

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
So, BEG...your artistic opinion on what I chose.....I am leaning a bit more towards the Amy Butler fabrics I chose as it's easier on the eye and calming..which is what I want for her bedroom.

How much dough are we talking?  ( I probably picked the most expensive fabric )

That will take me some time to figure out.  I have to see how cheap I can get it and then calculate how much I will need.  Again I wont charge you for piecing the quilt or actually quilting it. 

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 04:29:30 PM »
That will take me some time to figure out.  I have to see how cheap I can get it and then calculate how much I will need.  Again I wont charge you for piecing the quilt or actually quilting it. 

Thanks so much BEG...that is so kind of you.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 04:42:13 PM »
I found this site that sells it with free shipping...

Fabrics

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
This would be nice for an accent..

I really like these in order of preference (I have no idea how many you will actually use in the quilt...just throwing these out there)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »
Thanks so much BEG...that is so kind of you.

Did you click on the link I posted to the other quilt?  Look at the quilt not the fabric (which is Amy Butler too).  I like both quilts.  Later I will look at other quilt patterns and see if I can find anything else.  I will also look through my patterns and see what I have as well.

http://spoonfullofsugargirls.blogspot.com/2009/08/midwest-modern-string-quilt.html

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »
Did you click on the link I posted to the other quilt?  Look at the quilt not the fabric (which is Amy Butler too).  I like both quilts.  Later I will look at other quilt patterns and see if I can find anything else.  I will also look through my patterns and see what I have as well.

yes, I commented on it above...I like it....it looks like there are 4 triangles of different fabrics to form the squares??

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »
These are all Amy Butler free quilt patterns.  I just starting looking at patterns.  Any of these quilts can be made to fit a twin bed.  I think a white duvet on the whole bed with the quilt folded over at the bottom would look really good.  It takes a bit of creativity to picture the fabrics you like on these quilts. 

This is the pattern I used for that one baby quilt

I happen to have this very quilt kit (I haven't made it yet)

I have wanted a reason the make silhouettes

It would be cute to do her name with the fabric from the quilt like this.  I don't like the gingham with the other fabric.:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »
I like the idea of initials instead of her name in the font of the "PEACE" above....her name will be too long, I think.

I also love the idea of the silhoette.  Which would you do?

As for patterns...I think I like more of the traditional/vintage style patterns...so I think the Daisy Chain Strippy Quilt you have above is what I would like...isn't it similar to the one you posted with the link...to my untrained eye..lol  It is also the same name of the fabric I chose....I guess it keeps in line with the vintage look.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/pdfs/Daisy_Chain_Quilt.pdf

What do you think?

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2010, 04:54:45 PM »
BEG...I also want you to put your spin on the quilt.....whether you want to do a silhoette or the initials..or whatever...try something you haven't done yet!..it will make the quilt all the more special to us....I am easy going...I'd like anything you would do.

I'm the type of person that if I like what someone makes...whether it be art or interior design...I would give free reighns to that person.  I would hand over my key to Candace Olsen and tell her to knock herself out...I feel the same when it comes to your quilts and I always wanted to ask you to make one for me...but now that my daughter is here...I think it should be for her.

:-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »
BEG...I also want you to put your spin on the quilt.....whether you want to do a silhoette or the initials..or whatever...try something you haven't done yet!..it will make the quilt all the more special to us....I am easy going...I'd like anything you would do.

I'm the type of person that if I like what someone makes...whether it be art or interior design...I would give free reighns to that person.  I would hand over my key to Candace Olsen and tell her to knock herself out...I feel the same when it comes to your quilts and I always wanted to ask you to make one for me...but now that my daughter is here...I think it should be for her.

:-)

Awww thanks!

I like the daisy chain strippy quilt best.  You have a good eye.  I can do her initials and a few silhouettes to hang on the wall with left over fabric (I may have to buy a little more fabric but that shouldn't be a big deal).  I don't know what I would do the as the silhouettes.  You can do anything.  I can google other ideas for silhouettes as well.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 11:55:46 PM »
Since we live close to the beach...how about a mermaid, starfish, seahorse? 

I know there are sillhoettes of mermaids around as I remember finding one I was going to tattoo...starfish and seahorse should also be easy to find...I will look.

Or is that stupid and won't go with the vintage look I am after?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »
For that Amy Butler strippy quilt the amount of fabric it calls for it about $150 for the fabric ALONE.  16.75 yards of fabric for the front, border, backing and binding at around $9 a yard.  It calls for 3/4 of a yard of 12 different fabrics plus border, backing and binding fabric (which can be fabric from the 12 different fabric called for in the quilt blocks).  That is if I make it the size the pattern calls for (60.5 x 76.5) a twin is normally 68 x 88.  If you wanted to use the quilt folded up on the bottom of the bed with a duvet as the comforter then the original size would be fine.  

To quilt the quilt it would normally cost you $120 (68 x 88), I don't even know how much I would charge to piece the quilt, I have never figured out how long it would take me to piece a quilt (that includes cutting it all out which sometimes takes longer than sewing the quilt top).  Also every quilt has different difficulty levels.  Then you have the batting (for the size of the quilt it would be around $20), then to attach the binding and hand-sewing it to the back would cost you around $63.  That is actually pretty cheap as hand-finishing the binding takes friggen FOREVER.  Plus the cost of a spool of thread and you can see how much it can add up.  This all adds up to $353 not including my time to make the quilt top, sew the backing and the thread.  So you can see why it doesn't make sense for me to sell quilts, why would someone spend that kind of money for a quilt that I made when they could buy a commercial quilt for less than half the price?  The only area I would make money is in quilting a quilt as that is purely my time and thread (someone already made the quilt top and provides me with everything except for the batting).

Twin quilts:

A twin mattress (in the US) is 39" X 75". How big you make your quilt depends on how much you want to hang down on both sides and at the end, and whether you will be going up over pillows at the head of the bed.
Most twin comforters (minimal overhang) is 65" X 88" and bedspreads (large overhang) is 81" X 107".
If you want something in between, you would go with 70"x 90".

So if I add a row of quilt squares to both the length and width it makes it approximately 69 x 85.  I could make the border wider to make it bigger as well.  Both of these options would take a little more fabric.  The Amy Butler strippy quilt uses muslin for the base of the strippy quilt which I did not include.  Muslin is cheap (which is not included in the fabric price) but I like paper piecing better anyway.  This quilt seems to require a lot of fabric, more than I thought.  It calls for 12 different fabrics at 3/4 of a yard, then you have 2 yards for the borders (more if you make it bigger, 4 2/3 (I rounded up to 5) yards for the backing and 3/4 of a yard for the binding.  IT calls for 3 1/8 of a yard of muslin, muslin cost like 1.99 a yard but like I said, I like to paper piece rather than use muslin.  

I found another strippy quilt that doesn't really have a "pattern" and it doesn't have a fabric requirement list.  I like the white between the squares.  I don't know how much fabric I would need for the quilt.  I would have to "wing it" and order more if I needed more.  I can tell you that it would end up less than the AB pattern.

LINK

This one is cute too (not a strippy quilt):  LINK

I probably wont know the exact cost of the fabric until I am done.  If I do the strippy quilt I linked to there is no way to tell for sure how much fabric I will use until I am done.  Any left over fabric I can figure out something to make with the rest.  I can say that it wont be over $150 (I wont charge you for the batting or anything else).  Most people wouldn't even want to spend $150 on a quilt (again that is just the cost of the fabric) let alone what it would cost to have someone make it from start to finish.  

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:21:04 PM by BEG »

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
BEG...$150 for everything?....PM me your address, name etc...and I will mail you a check next week
 ( I am moving this coming weekend, so I'll be busy with that.  I'll be back to work next Wednesday (where I do all of my bills..lol) and will mail it out to you.  

If you need more fabric..then obviously, I will mail you whatever else....you can give me the final cost at the end if you need to purchase more fabric.  While, yeah, I can probably buy a queen size quilt for that prize, it won't be made specially for Elizabeth.....or by you....and I love the fabric and the pattern of the strippy quilt best.  I think I want it the size of a twin bed..eventhough I will probably use it folded at the end of the bed like you suggested, but I want the option of using it as a bed spread as well...but I think the 70 x 90 would work well...as I don't want the quilt touching the floor.

So, will you make it, please  :-)?  You can take your time with it....as I will use it for her when she is a bit older...she's only 8 months old....no time constraints...maybe for Christmas...she can open it up in front of the family..or June 30th, her birthday.  I've been reading about quilting these past few days, and it certainly seems like ALOT of work....so I truly appreciate the fact that you are not going to charge me for the labor and time associated with making it. (Did I read you right about that? )

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:35:56 PM by Hawkgirl »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
BEG...$150 for everything?....PM me your address, name etc...and I will mail you a check next week
 ( I am moving this coming weekend, so I'll be busy with that.  I'll be back to work next Wednesday (where I do all of my bills..lol) and will mail it out to you.  

If you need more fabric..then obviously, I will mail you whatever else....you can give me the final cost at the end if you need to purchase more fabric.  While, yeah, I can probably buy a queen size quilt for that prize, it won't be made specially for Elizabeth.....or by you....and I love the fabric and the pattern of the strippy quilt best.  I think I want it the size of a twin bed..eventhough I will probably use it folded at the end of the bed like you suggested, but I want the option of using it as a bed spread as well...but I think the 70 x 90 would work well...as I don't want the quilt touching the floor.

So, will you make it, please  :-)?  You can take your time with it....as I will use it for her when she is a bit older...she's only 8 months old....no time constraints...maybe for Christmas...she can open it up in front of the family..or June 30th, her birthday.  I've been reading about quilting these past few days, and it certainly seems like ALOT of work....so I truly appreciate the fact that you are not going to charge me for the labor and time associated with making it. (Did I read you right about that? )

So you like the Amy Butler pattern right?!?  Yes I will do it for the cost  of the fabric only.  I will PM you my address.  I will have to find a total of 12 fabrics that will go with the daisy chain (blush) fabric.  The pattern calls for two sold fabrics included in the 12.  Do you want me to choose the solid fabric or do you want to pick them?  Amy Butler has solid fabric that would probably look best with her daisy chain fabric. 

In the upper right corner you can see the solid colors, click on the picture and it should take you to the solid Amy Butler Fabrics.

LINK

I don't know if the link above has all the colors that Amy Butler's site has but I can find them at other sites. 

Just to clarify, this is a TWIN not a queen right?