Author Topic: it's the WE happy hour thread! (post election)  (Read 11298 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
it's the WE happy hour thread! (post election)
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »
I had a ****ED up week.   I spent 2 days chasing around $60 because the company couldn't close until I found it.

and, of course, the election didn't turn out like I would have preferred.

well, it must be something within the conservative philosophy;  you have to respect the winner, especially when he just kicker your ass.

the enraged replies will be entertained below. :-)

Offline jendf

Re: it's the WE happy hour thread! (post election)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »
I had a ****ED up week.   I spent 2 days chasing around $60 because the company couldn't close until I found it.

and, of course, the election didn't turn out like I would have preferred.

well, it must be something within the conservative philosophy;  you have to respect the winner, especially when he just kicker your ass.

the enraged replies will be entertained below. :-)

Ahem.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:33:20 PM »
This was just a weird day.  I didn't wake up until 9:30am and it was so nice and sunny in my bedroom, drastically different than when my alarm usually goes off at 6.  I'm at work until 9pm tonight, the night receptionist needed today off.

I was supposed to meet up with a few girlfriends tonight, but I don't know if that's happening.  If not, I shall go home and relax to a beer or two.   :cheersmate:
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jendf

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:51 PM »
I had the day off today so I took a day trip up to Prescott. Lots of antique stores to walk through and a great little hole-in-the-wall Mexican food restaurant. The weather was nice too. Actually felt "autumn-y". High was 62, leaves were turning colors...it was a lovely day.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:39:02 PM »
It was weird here today, weatherwise.

Ever since Tuesday evening, we had been promised snow.

Not that I wanted snow, but if we're going to get it, we might as well get it, and get it over with.

The western slope of the Sandhills of Nebraska got snow (I live on the eastern slope).  South Dakota up there got snow.  Iowa over there got snow.  Missouri and Kansas down there got snow.  Colorado and Wyoming out there got snow.

And here we have this "circle" in northeastern Nebraska, circa 20,000 square miles, surrounded utterly by snow, but no snow in the "circle."  Nothing.  Nada.  Nil.  Zilch.  Only some 50-70 mph winds, but no snow.

It wasn't only a screwed-up week politically, but also climatically, at least here.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »
Ahem.

well, I do.  i absolutely respect him, if only because he kicked our ass.  HE WON INDIANA!!  george bush won that state by 21%, and over 500,00 votes.  he flipped indiana.  philosophy not withstanding, you have GOT to give the guy credit.

Offline jendf

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »
well, I do.  i absolutely respect him, if only because he kicked our ass.  HE WON INDIANA!!  george bush won that state by 21%, and over 500,00 votes.  he flipped indiana.  philosophy not withstanding, you have GOT to give the guy credit.

No. I don't have to give him Jack Shit.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »

Uh, Indiana's still counting their votes.

Their secretary of state's website this morning showed McCain leading the Big Zero by 97,000.

I have no idea why Indiana's so slow (and Missouri too, where McCain has increased his slender lead), or when they expect to be done counting, but there you have it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43:55 PM »
Well, the friend I was going to meet up with has a sinus infection, so that's called off.  I'll be leaving here in 20 minutes and heading home for a couple of beers and relaxation.    :cheersmate:
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
No. I don't have to give him Jack Shit.

you're bitter.  I see it all the time among republicans.

here is my thought:  I will give him a chance.  he ran as a centrist;  now, I don't believe it, but that is where he ran. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »

Their secretary of state's website this morning showed McCain leading the Big Zero by 97,000.

I have no idea why Indiana's so slow (and Missouri too, where McCain has increased his slender lead), or when they expect to be done counting, but there you have it.

you are missing the point, frank.  if we can turn a 20 point win into a TIE, then we are doing something drastically wrong.

Offline jendf

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
Well, the friend I was going to meet up with has a sinus infection, so that's called off.  I'll be leaving here in 20 minutes and heading home for a couple of beers and relaxation.    :cheersmate:

That's exactly what happened to me tonight. My girlfriend bailed so I'm drinking alone. And talking to my online pals.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »

we will win missouri, but so what?

take the big picture in mind

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »
In case anybody's curious, which they might or might not be, Abbie, Snow, Harold, Ellie, and Gustav passed their cat-examinations with flying colors this week.

I still have two more to go, George and William.

These were exhaustive examinations; understandably I got very concerned, losing Floyd in September and Leo in October, and I don't want to have to deal with this again any time soon.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
That's exactly what happened to me tonight. My girlfriend bailed so I'm drinking alone. And talking to my online pals.

Ehh, that's fine with me.  I have plans for sushi/sashimi/sake tomorrow before heading to the usual drunkfest.  And Sunday I'm going to a craft fair with a friend, so all in all already a full enough weekend it'll be nice to relax tonight and do nothing.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »

Well, that was exactly my attitude; it's over, and Indiana won't change anything.

That's why when I checked it, I didn't bother posting it here, as it makes no difference.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »
In case anybody's curious, which they might or might not be, Abbie, Snow, Harold, Ellie, and Gustav passed their cat-examinations with flying colors this week.

I still have two more to go, George and William.

These were exhaustive examinations; understandably I got very concerned, losing Floyd in September and Leo in October, and I don't want to have to deal with this again any time soon.

That's good news to hear about the ones that have made it in for the testing.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »

That's good news to hear about the ones that have made it in for the testing.  :)

I thought it might be something genetic--remember, all but Floyd have been feral cats, and over the cat-generations, might have acquired things making them susceptible to hazards domesticated cats aren't--but thus far all's checked out.

Floyd of course died in September of pneumonia, inspired by his allergy to whatever grows in the meadow.  The meadow had been cut about two days before I noticed a problem.  If I had been more on top of things, possibly I could've noticed it, but one can't control cats, and Floyd was away much of the time, until he got really bad.

Leo died of some avian-carried vius.

So none of it was genetic; just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »
Southwest Ohio is in a very mellow slow cool. A week of 60 high and cool 45 degree nights has turned into a week of low 50's highs and near freezing nights with no thoughts of looking back.

Bad political week has turned to "meh" political week. Nice bottle of wine to keep me warm this late evening and allow me to keep the windows open.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 09:10:41 PM »
Anybody read any good books this week?

I've read, but not books.

The county historical society had a whole bunch of newspapers from the 1910s microfilmed, as the newspapers themselves are crumbling to pieces, becoming useless.

I got my hands on them, and have been reading them.

Right now, I'm reading about the most notorious draft-dodger of the first world war, a rich playboy whose money came from beer-brewing; if I'm up to it, I might post it this weekend, a condensation of the story, in the military forum.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
I'm about finished with a book called "Heart of a Dog" by Mikhail Bulgakov. (one of just a handful of good writers from the old Soviet Union) If I understand right the book was actually banned for decades there.

Anyway it's really funny and very Kafkaesque at the same time. This big shot (semi-mad) Soviet Scientist takes in a stray dog and transforms him into a man. A very lecherous and vulgar man who bleats Marx and Engels quotes and gets a job in the bureacracy purging the city of cats.

Bizarre but funny and interesting.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 09:41:17 PM »

It at least makes me feel that I'm living in a red state, although we now have a dem governor and attorney general. Somehow, it's comforting that the Missouri voters went Republican and kept a Rep majority in the state senate and house.

It's been a weird day here, too. It was supposed to be cold yesterday. It wasn't. Then the temps plunged this afternoon. And I'm getting another darned cold, hoping it won't develop into another sinus infection like the one I had a few weeks ago. Whine, whine, whine.  :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
I read the fast and easy James Patterson's "Honeymoon." 

Next week my Amazon order is getting here: 

My Years with General Motors by Alfred P. Sloan

and

Sin in the Second City by Karen Abbott

I'm looking forward to reading both.
Stink Eye

Offline jendf

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:43 PM »
It's been a weird day here, too. It was supposed to be cold yesterday. It wasn't. Then the temps plunged this afternoon. And I'm getting another darned cold, hoping it won't develop into another sinus infection like the one I had a few weeks ago. Whine, whine, whine.  :-)

Someone from here (I don't remember who now) recommended this to me when I was having horrible sinus infections. I started using it a couple of years ago and I haven't had a sinus infection since. It's awesome. Kind of gross. But awesome.  :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 09:47:52 PM »
Someone from here (I don't remember who now) recommended this to me when I was having horrible sinus infections. I started using it a couple of years ago and I haven't had a sinus infection since. It's awesome. Kind of gross. But awesome.  :-)

That sounds like it would be better than just using the Neti Pot I have.
Stink Eye