Current Events > Politics

Texas Democratic official resigns after calling Tim Scott an 'oreo

(1/2) > >>

Ptarmigan:
Texas Democratic official resigns after calling Tim Scott an 'oreo
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tim-scott-called-racial-slur-oreo-texas-democrat-resigns

--- Quote ---The Texas Democratic official who called Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., an "oreo" on Twitter last week has resigned from his position following a backlash.

Lamar County Democratic Party chair Gary O’Connor announced his resignation Tuesday in a statement, days after sparking a firestorm online by calling Scott an "oreo" in a since-deleted Facebook post.

O’Connor apologized for targeting Scott with the racial slur, which refers to a Black person who is perceived as acting White.
--- End quote ---

Gary O'Connor called Tim Scott an "oreo".

:racist:  :racista:  :racista:

Texacon:
I must be a really bad racist. I thought an “Oreo” was a biracial person. Goes I need to up my racist vocabulary  ::)

KC

SSG Snuggle Bunny:

--- Quote from: Texacon on May 05, 2021, 07:04:48 AM ---I must be a really bad racist. I thought an “Oreo” was a biracial person. Goes I need to up my racist vocabulary  ::)

KC

--- End quote ---

I think I first heard the term as a young kit watching an episode of The Jeffersons. I think it was said by George, as an insult to someone.

enslaved1:

--- Quote from: SSG Snuggle Bunny on May 05, 2021, 08:27:31 AM ---I think I first heard the termas a young kit watching an episode3 of The Jeffersons. I think it was said by George, as an insult to someone.

--- End quote ---

What he said.  I'm pretty sure that's where I first heard it, and it was referencing someone who was mixed, which is how I've usually heard it used since, like Texacon said. 

enslaved1:
Texas Dem Party Leader Calls Tim Scott Racial Slur, Then Resigns. Texas Dems Won’t Accept His Resignation.

--- Quote ---The Lamar County Democratic Party told The Texas Tribune that they had used the “last few days to reflect upon this incident,” adding, “Lamar County Democrats recommit ourselves to conduct our private conversations and our public social media discussions with anti-racist, pro-reconciling attitudes and language. We strongly condemn bigotry of any kind and will continue our historic efforts to work for justice and equality for all our fellow citizens.”
--- End quote ---

They condemn bigotry, but won't accept the bigot's resignation?  That is high level doublethink, there.  How do you not accept a resignation anyway?  Are they going to force the guy into work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version