Author Topic: MIT's 'cheetah-bot' Can Now Jump Over Hurdles  (Read 12016 times)

Offline dmf777

• Probationary (Probie)
  • “Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.”
MIT's 'cheetah-bot' Can Now Jump Over Hurdles
« on: May 30, 2015, 01:53:15 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/05/29/mit-cheetah-bot-can-now-jump-over-hurdles/?intcmp=features

MIT researchers' previously shown ‘cheetah-bot,’ a robot that resembles — you guessed it — the fastest land animal on earth, can run up to 10 mph. The robot's latest enhancements, however, have enabled the mechanized feline to jump by leaps and bounds. The machine has been described by MIT as the “the first four-legged robot to run and jump over obstacles autonomously."

In experiments on a treadmill and an indoor track, the robot successfully cleared obstacles up to 18 inches tall — more than half of the robot’s own height, MIT announced Friday. The 'cheetah-bot' maintained an average running speed of 5 miles per hour during the experiments.

The MIT research on the four-legged robot is supported by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), and is meant to eventually create agile machines that could be applied in a number of different situations.

“Our goal is to use this kind of robot to save lives in a disaster situation. It could be used to help fire fighters or police in a dangerous situation,” Sangbae Kim, MIT associate professor of mechanical engineering, told FoxNews.com back in September.

How does this robot operate? It uses a technology called LIDAR that employs a laser distance sensor to scan its surroundings. The MIT team developed a three-part algorithm to plan out the robot’s path, based on LIDAR data.
"Without education,your children can never really meet the challenges they will face. So it's very important to give children education and explain that they should play a role for their country."-Nelson Mandela

"There is nothing I fear more than waking up without a program that will help me bring a little happiness to those with no resources, those who are poor, illiterate, and ridden with terminal disease."-Nelson Mandela

"What I'm saying to you this morning is communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that life is social. And the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism, but in a higher synthesis."-MLK JR

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: MIT's 'cheetah-bot' Can Now Jump Over Hurdles
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 01:59:45 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/05/29/mit-cheetah-bot-can-now-jump-over-hurdles/?intcmp=features

Google recently introduce a driverless car.
It promptly ran over a reporter or 2.
Odds are they were libs, so no big loss.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline dmf777

• Probationary (Probie)
  • “Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.”
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 02:04:02 AM »

Yeah, but hopefully they can fix whatever went wrong, it's a great concept if they can work out the kinks (and like all new concepts, you gotta jump a few obstacles to make the finish line.)
"Without education,your children can never really meet the challenges they will face. So it's very important to give children education and explain that they should play a role for their country."-Nelson Mandela

"There is nothing I fear more than waking up without a program that will help me bring a little happiness to those with no resources, those who are poor, illiterate, and ridden with terminal disease."-Nelson Mandela

"What I'm saying to you this morning is communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that life is social. And the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism, but in a higher synthesis."-MLK JR

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »
At first glance, I read cheetoh-bot, and figured you and your "progressive" friends were dancing in the streets.

Imagine the Cheetos delivered to your mom's basement by a robot!

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
^My dyslexia saw "cheetah-bot".
When Tiger Woods got caught cheating, everyone started calling him "Cheetah Woods".
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:25:45 PM »
I think they should keep trying.  Lord knows we have plenty of reporters to test with.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »

:lmao:

The robot car promptly violated Asimov's First Law of Robotics.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »

This was a supposed self parking car by Volvo that hit the reporter. Google's cars haven't had any wrecks that were blamed on their self driving cars, yet.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
This was a supposed self parking car by Volvo that hit the reporter. Google's cars haven't had any wrecks that were blamed on their self driving cars, yet.

I'll have to apologize for not getting important details right.
The snippet I heard on TV said google, or at least I thought I heard that.
But, thank you for the opportunity to revise, extend, and accredit my remarks...

http://jalopnik.com/self-driving-volvo-tries-to-run-some-people-over-1706970068

You are indeed correct, and the record is now correct, and I am sorry for the misinformation.

Thank you again.