Author Topic: Another Democrat Party Laughingstock Says "Impeach!"  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Another Democrat Party Laughingstock Says "Impeach!"
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »
Source: AFP

Former US presidential candidate urges Bush's impeachment

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Former US presidential candidate George McGovern on Sunday called for President George W. Bush and Vice President Richard Cheney to be impeached, saying the case for such a dramatic step "is far stronger" than it was against former disgraced president Richard Nixon.

A former US congressman and senator, McGovern was the Democratic Party's presidential nominee in 1972, but lost the election to incumbent Richard Nixon, who was forced to resign amid the Watergate scandal in 1974.

Writing in The Washington Post, McGovern said that after the 1972 election, he stood clear of calls to impeach Nixon because he was afraid it would be interpreted as an act of personal vengeance. But "today I have made a different choice," the prominent Democrat points out. "The case for impeaching Bush and Cheney is far stronger than was the case against Nixon and Vice President Spiro Agnew after the 1972 election."

- snip -

He cites as evidence the invasion of Iraq under the pretext of removing its non-existent weapons of mass destruction, "illegal tapping" of citizens' telephones by government agents, and shipping of war-on-terror prisoners for interrogation to other countries without respect for the laws of habeas corpus.

Read more: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hzTs98zoYaBYRhIUf8M...

Seabiscuit  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-06-08 10:10 AM
Response to Reply #12
23. I don't recall any of them being asked about impeachment at any of the debates. n/t

RoccoR5955 (282 posts)         Sun Jan-06-08 08:06 AM
Response to Original message
13. WE THE PEOPLE want, nay, DEMAND...
   Investigation, Impeachment, and Incarceration!
Justice MUST be served!

jtrockville  (492 posts)        Sun Jan-06-08 11:03 AM
28. The article covered almost the ENTIRE front of WaPo's outlook section.
   It was written in white letters on black background. VERY eye-catching
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3126617

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:53:02 PM by Lord Undies »

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: Another Democrat Party Laughingstock Says "Impeach!"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:15:47 AM »
Impeached for what???? And the grounds for impeachment are far stronger than they were for Nixon  :rotf:

Someone please enlighten me, but didn't George McGovern REALLY bollo out when he ran?  :loser:

Oh, and what does "n/t" mean? I've been meaning to ask that  :-)
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »
It usually means "no text".
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
The wigged-out lunatics of the democrat party are on the verge of hyperventing tears.  The Iowa Caucus has happened.  New Hampshire is next week.  No impeachment movement is catching fire.  Bill Clinton will not be revenged.   Liar McWarmongermonkeycokespoon will not be on the list with Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson.  It is KILLING them.   

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
He cites as evidence the invasion of Iraq under the pretext of removing its non-existent weapons of mass destruction, "illegal tapping" of citizens' telephones by government agents, and shipping of war-on-terror prisoners for interrogation to other countries without respect for the laws of habeas corpus.

Okay one at a time...

The Iraq war was sanctioned by the US Congress based on intelligence from both the current and previous administrations and the intelligence agencies of multiple countries.
Name the US statute violated.

There has been no illegal tapping of citizens telephones..ask your own dem Senators and Representatives who both knew of and endorsed the procedure.
Present the evidence of illegal wiretapping of citizens inside this country.

Lastly it is the treatment of terrorists and terrorism as a common crime that brought about our current situation but yet you still want to apply US laws to foreignors that have declared war and jihad on the USA.
Name a US citizen,found on Americain soil that has not been afforded all the rights accorded to them as such.

The suggestion that we should listen to the words of dems who lost almost every state in the country (McGovern,Carter,Mondale,Dukakis) never got even 50% of the vote (Clinton twice),couldn`t carry their home state (Gore) or were caught phonying up their military record (Kerry...never did answer for his lies or release his SF-180 as promised) is laughable.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »
It all sounds so familiar:

Scooter Libby has been indicted for lying.  Many suspect Libby, and perhaps others, deliberately outed Joe Wilson’s wife as a covert CIA agent.  This was done to punish and discredit Wilson for bringing attention to the false information regarding Iraq’s supposed efforts to build a nuclear weapon-- information made public in President Bush’s State of the Union message in January 2003.  Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald was chosen to determine if this revelation regarding Valerie Plame, Wilson’s wife, violated the Intelligence Identification Protection Act.  The actual indictment of Libby did not claim such a violation occurred.  Instead, he has been charged with lying and participating in a cover-up during the two-year investigation.  I believe this is a serious matter that should not be ignored, but it is not an earth-shattering event.

This case, like almost everything in Washington, has been driven by politics-- not truth, justice, or the Constitution.  It’s about seeking political power, pure and simple, not unlike the impeachment process during the last administration.

There are much more serious charges of lying and cover-ups that deserve congressional attention.  The country now knows the decision to go to war in Iraq was based on information that was not factual.  Congress and the people of this country were misled.  Because of this, more than 2,000 U. S. troops and many innocent people have died.  Tens of thousands have been severely wounded, their lives forever changed if not totally ruined.

The lies Scooter Libby may or may not have told deserve a thorough investigation.  But in the scheme of things, the indictment about questions regarding the release of Valerie Plame’s name, a political dirty trick, is minor compared to the disinformation about weapons of mass destruction and other events that propelled us into an unnecessary war.  Its costs-- in life, suffering, and money-- have proven to be prohibitive.

The Libby indictment, unless it opens the door to more profound questions concerning why we went to war, may serve only as a distraction from much more serious events and lies.

The decision to go to war is profound.  It behooves Congress to ask more questions and investigate exactly how the President, Congress, and the people were misled into believing that invading Iraq was necessary for our national security.

Why do we still not know who forged the documents claiming Saddam Hussein was about to buy uranium from Niger?

Was this information concocted by those who were overly eager to go to war?

Why was CIA reluctance regarding this assessment ignored, allowing it to be presented by the President as a clincher for our need to go to war?

Other reasons used to justify the war deserve equal attention, since the results have been so painful for our country.

If lies were told to justify the invasion of Iraq, the American people deserve to know the truth.  Congress has a responsibility to seek this truth and change our policies accordingly.  The sooner this is done the better.

Any takers on who is spewing? (no googling, you bastards!)
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »
That sounds like the Republican Savior.  Do I win something if I'm right? 

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »
I have missed you too Snuggles  :lmao:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »
That sounds like the Republican Savior.  Do I win something if I'm right? 
A millyun innerwebx bukkz
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
RoccoR5955 (282 posts)         Sun Jan-06-08 08:06 AM
Justice MUST be served!

Wow, the 3 I's. Seems you'd just like to move all the way over the the right and go with incarceration, right?  :whatever:

Why does that last sentence seem so hypocritical?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »
RoccoR5955 (282 posts)         Sun Jan-06-08 08:06 AM
Justice MUST be served!

Wow, the 3 I's. Seems you'd just like to move all the way over the the right and go with incarceration, right?  :whatever:

Why does that last sentence seem so hypocritical?

Three eyes?!!  Must be something bad in the DUmmie's bong water! :koolaid:
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
It all sounds so familiar:

Scooter Libby has been indicted for lying.  Many suspect Libby, and perhaps others, deliberately outed Joe Wilson’s wife as a covert CIA agent.  This was done to punish and discredit Wilson for bringing attention to the false information regarding Iraq’s supposed efforts to build a nuclear weapon-- information made public in President Bush’s State of the Union message in January 2003.  Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald was chosen to determine if this revelation regarding Valerie Plame, Wilson’s wife, violated the Intelligence Identification Protection Act.  The actual indictment of Libby did not claim such a violation occurred.  Instead, he has been charged with lying and participating in a cover-up during the two-year investigation.  I believe this is a serious matter that should not be ignored, but it is not an earth-shattering event.

This case, like almost everything in Washington, has been driven by politics-- not truth, justice, or the Constitution.  It’s about seeking political power, pure and simple, not unlike the impeachment process during the last administration.

There are much more serious charges of lying and cover-ups that deserve congressional attention.  The country now knows the decision to go to war in Iraq was based on information that was not factual.  Congress and the people of this country were misled.  Because of this, more than 2,000 U. S. troops and many innocent people have died.  Tens of thousands have been severely wounded, their lives forever changed if not totally ruined.

The lies Scooter Libby may or may not have told deserve a thorough investigation.  But in the scheme of things, the indictment about questions regarding the release of Valerie Plame’s name, a political dirty trick, is minor compared to the disinformation about weapons of mass destruction and other events that propelled us into an unnecessary war.  Its costs-- in life, suffering, and money-- have proven to be prohibitive.

The Libby indictment, unless it opens the door to more profound questions concerning why we went to war, may serve only as a distraction from much more serious events and lies.

The decision to go to war is profound.  It behooves Congress to ask more questions and investigate exactly how the President, Congress, and the people were misled into believing that invading Iraq was necessary for our national security.

Why do we still not know who forged the documents claiming Saddam Hussein was about to buy uranium from Niger?

Was this information concocted by those who were overly eager to go to war?

Why was CIA reluctance regarding this assessment ignored, allowing it to be presented by the President as a clincher for our need to go to war?

Other reasons used to justify the war deserve equal attention, since the results have been so painful for our country.

If lies were told to justify the invasion of Iraq, the American people deserve to know the truth.  Congress has a responsibility to seek this truth and change our policies accordingly.  The sooner this is done the better.

Any takers on who is spewing? (no googling, you bastards!)

Ron Paul............gad......I hate the fact that I share first names with this moonbat.

Offline scotth

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »

The Iraq war was sanctioned by the US Congress based on intelligence from both the current and previous administrations and the intelligence agencies of multiple countries.
Name the US statute violated.

The argument isn't about what statute was violated.  It's about the accuracy of the intell present to Congress.  The problem people will argue is Congress sanctioned a war because they only got half the story.

There has been no illegal tapping of citizens telephones..ask your own dem Senators and Representatives who both knew of and endorsed the procedure.
Present the evidence of illegal wiretapping of citizens inside this country.

How do you know there wasn't illegal wiretapping because it was all classified?  The problem is they circumvented court approval for grabbing mass phone records.  Informing members of Congress about intelligence activities doesn't releave the administration of having judicial review.  That the problem, not wanting to allow for checks and balances and thats the foundation of our democracy.  There are 3 branches of government and you can't just avoid the judical branch.

Lastly it is the treatment of terrorists and terrorism as a common crime that brought about our current situation but yet you still want to apply US laws to foreignors that have declared war and jihad on the USA.
Name a US citizen,found on Americain soil that has not been afforded all the rights accorded to them as such.

The problem here is the administration created there own little declaration of status for the people they have grabbed and called them enemy combatant.  They made these rules that put these people in a legal blackhole.  With no rights no representation and no revue.  Unless you call a revue process that is made up of hearsay, torture intell and classified information that the defendant doesn't know about or have a chance to defend themselves against a process.

I don't have a problem with taking these people prisoner but I have a real problem with the process.  What we do today is a kangroo court and it's what we use to say would never happen in America.  We use to have the moral authority to critize places like the Soviet Union/Russia or China. 

I won't even get into the millions of "lost" emails and the using of the Republican email system for official business and those emails being destroyed.  If Clinton deserved impeachment proceedings for lieing about getting a hummer in the Whitehouse then there is plenty of justification to at least investigate some of these issues.