Author Topic: California Expects People Getting IOUs To Pay Income Taxes On Them  (Read 3314 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
California’s budget woes have resulted in the state “paying” a number of its vendors with IOU’s.  That’s a bad enough situation as these businesses who have already provided the goods and/or services purchased to the government have to keep paying their bills (and not with IOU’s), but now the state wants them to pay taxes on the IOU’s they’ve received as if they were income.

SAN FRANCISCO (CN) - Small businesses that received $682 million in IOUs from the state say California expects them to pay taxes on the worthless scraps of paper, but refuses to accept its own IOUs to pay debts or taxes. The vendors’ federal class action claims the state is trying to balance its budget on their backs. ...
http://www.kxmc.com/News/Nation/417869.asp

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: California Expects People Getting IOUs To Pay Income Taxes On Them
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
And the exodus from Calfornistan continues.  Last taxpayer out, turn off the lights.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:14:05 AM »
And the exodus from Calfornistan continues.  Last taxpayer out, turn off the lights.

The lights will likely already be off......but please take down the American flag...........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:24:08 AM »
Another painful lesson in the Law of Unintended Consequences.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
Another painful lesson in the Law of Unintended Consequences.

No, not painful enough, because they'll keep voting in the same idiots time and again.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »
Yes just take at the kind of shit they crank out ie Madam Speaker and the wonderful Governor. Glad I live in a semi "norma" state
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »
The lights will likely already be off......but please take down the American flag...........

doc

Do they allow the American Flag to be flown in California, or did they just start doing that after 0bama's election?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »
The only flags I remember had more colors of the "rainbow" when I lived there

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »
The only flags I remember had more colors of the "rainbow" when I lived there

I'm sure there are plenty of flags flying there, now.  Unfortunately most of them are like what you said or Mexican.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 06:31:31 AM »
Do they allow the American Flag to be flown in California, or did they just start doing that after 0bama's election?
Yeah, they fly 'em, but they've been upside down since beginning of the reign of Uncle Zer0.

Offline Chump

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 08:05:58 AM »
I'm shocked this hasn't been taken to court yet.  All the vendors who supply California receiving IOUs?  Uh, they probably have a contract demanding actual "payment."  Now California wants to force people to pay income taxes on something that isn't money?    :mental:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 08:19:39 AM »
I'm shocked this hasn't been taken to court yet.  All the vendors who supply California receiving IOUs?  Uh, they probably have a contract demanding actual "payment."  Now California wants to force people to pay income taxes on something that isn't money?    :mental:

Those companies should send the Ca. Dept. of Revenue a bunch of IOU's.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 11:08:19 AM »
Those companies should send the Ca. Dept. of Revenue a bunch of IOU's.
Maybe Hopey McChangespoon will swoop in on his Rainbow PonyTM and pay it for them.   :-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »
Send the State an IOU....................
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
Send the State an IOU....................

Touche.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »
No, not painful enough, because they'll keep voting in the same idiots time and again.

More than likely, these same people donated tons of money to elect the thieves that are in office writing the IOU's! Get a clue, people!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.