Author Topic: eyesight changes  (Read 2501 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
eyesight changes
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:00:29 AM »
Yesterday, Thursday, I was in the big city, and finally got around to picking up some new pairs of eyeglasses while I was doing some other stuff.

When I can, I prefer contact lenses, but the wind and dust of the Sandhills doesn't allow this all the time.

Anyway.

Because I've heard that eyesight, along with all other things, deteriorates with age, I compared this current prescription with those from 1999, 1984, and 1978.  The information as it was put, didn't mean a whole lot to me, and so I inquired.

The optometrist said the right eye in 2011 had changed not at all since 1978, given the prescriptions.

Thirty-three years, since I was a teenager.

He said the left eye in 2011 had changed "nearly imperceptibly" since 1978.

Is this unusual or not?  Is this something I can throw at the nephews the next time they worry about my health, or is this commonplace, nothing unusual about it?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: eyesight changes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
I would say it's unusual, and probably due to you not spending all day/night watching TV and staring at computer screens.

I get paid to stare at computer screens so I can't really avoid it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »
I would say it's unusual, and probably due to you not spending all day/night watching TV and staring at computer screens.

I get paid to stare at computer screens so I can't really avoid it.

Thanks, sir, and yeah, I've probably watched less television in my entire life, than most people watch in a week, and despite that I'm constantly logged on here and what the primitives say, I'm not in front of the computer all that much.

About a month ago, one of the nephews pointed out that my chain-smoking was sure to lead to macular degeneration, common in those who smoke.

It pleased God there was no, absolutely none, macular degeneration.

Which again proves another example of while science and medical knowledge is good, and generally accurate, it's not perfect.  Reality is infinite, while the human cerebral ability to comprehend is finite.

The finite cannot see All Things That Are.

The other example of course being the blood pressure.  There's no doubt chain-smoking elevates blood pressure; I do not disagree with that at all.

However, I must be doing something else, something unseen by the finite mind, that counteracts, and oh so vigorously, these ill-effects.  I wonder what it is, but given my finite mind that can't take in All Things That Are, I'll probably never know.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »
I  suspect that you will find that it WILL change in the future.  I had essentially the same prescription until I hit my mid 50's, after that it accellerated to the point where it changes nearly every year now.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline CG6468

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
I  suspect that you will find that it WILL change in the future.  I had essentially the same prescription until I hit my mid 50's, after that it accellerated to the point where it changes nearly every year now.

doc

I'm pushing 70, and mine changed once in the last 15 years. I think genetics has a lot do do with it.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »
I  suspect that you will find that it WILL change in the future.  I had essentially the same prescription until I hit my mid 50's, after that it accelerated to the point where it changes nearly every year now.

doc

Uh huh, the optometrist warned me about that.

Naturally, I'm hoping to stave it off as long as possible.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
Uh huh, the optometrist warned me about that.

Naturally, I'm hoping to stave it off as long as possible.

I've been "staving it off" for several years now. More like defying it.     :p
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.