Author Topic: Headaches and Migraines  (Read 3973 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Headaches and Migraines
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »
I'm lucky and get both time to time and while I've seen the doctor in the past I've never gotten much help when it comes to this. When I get a headache or migraine I take between 400-600MG of Ibuprofen and take a while to rest and this typically helps.

But the last month has been a different story all together I've had a headache every single day and for the last 3 have had quite bad migraines, to the point I've had to take yesterday and today off.

This morning I woke up with the same one from yesterday and while I've taken some stuff for it nothing helps. I've made an appointment to see the doctor but what should I or could I do until then?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Headaches and Migraines
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
Well, I was hoping you'd have some sort of answer by now, sir.

So I'm bumping this, but probably the medical and health fans aren't here this afternoon.

I dunno about migraine headaches; it's my understanding that their origin is a mystery, and that there's virtually nothing that can be done for them.

I was once described as suffering from migraine headaches myself, but after some thought about it, it turned out I was getting headaches from allergy (certain weeds), and that of course was solvable (staying away from certain weeds).

I hope to God someone comes along and answers.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 05:41:48 PM »
Try upping the ibuprofen up to 800 mg (that is the prescription strength) or try excedrin migraine.  When is your doctor appointment? 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
I take 4 Advils and go to bed...in a dark and quiet room.

As long as you have had this headache though, you might want to go to the emergency room, especially since you aren't getting any relief from what you have taken.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »
This will sound odd, but how many calories are you eating per day?  Are you eating a sufficient amount? 

Calorie counting was the ONLY thing that stopped my daily migraines.  I went to a neurologist and got a prescription.  Those pills helped until the next day rolled around.  Anyway, I found out that I was not eating enough calories per day.  I would have a net caloric intake of 700-900 and my body needed 1,200-1,400 a day.  Once I got my body into those higher numbers, and out of starvation mode, my daily migraines disappeared.

I can't remember the last time I had a migraine.

Good luck.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:55:47 PM »
You could also be having rebound headaches from the medication.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »
Try upping the ibuprofen up to 800 mg (that is the prescription strength) or try excedrin migraine.  When is your doctor appointment? 

I did that and just slept for the last 3 hours and feel a tiny bit better and I've never heard of "excedrin migraine" but perhaps I'll try it. My appointment is the 13th.

As long as you have had this headache though, you might want to go to the emergency room, especially since you aren't getting any relief from what you have taken.

I've considered that and if I wake up with it in the morning I might take a trip in.

This will sound odd, but how many calories are you eating per day?  Are you eating a sufficient amount? 

Calorie counting was the ONLY thing that stopped my daily migraines.  I went to a neurologist and got a prescription.  Those pills helped until the next day rolled around.  Anyway, I found out that I was not eating enough calories per day.  I would have a net caloric intake of 700-900 and my body needed 1,200-1,400 a day.  Once I got my body into those higher numbers, and out of starvation mode, my daily migraines disappeared.

Good luck.

I find this interesting because my diet is poor to say the least. I eat a small breakfast and most days skip lunch and have a larger supper but I doubt I get all I need in a day. I also typically eat less in the summer and notice more then in the winter.

I'll give this a try and see what happens seeing as it couldn't hurt me to eat a bit more then I do.

Thanks everyone:)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »
I am glad you got some responses Compaq.  I saw this thread earlier, but I haven't suffered from migraines, so had no advice.  I hope you feel better soon.  Please keep us posted.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »

Good luck.
My son suffered occasional (1-2 times per week) migraines for years until we finally got it under control by tweaking his diet to include more protein.  I have never experienced a migraine myself, but it used to just tear my heart out watching him go through it.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »

Great suggestion.

A cool rag or even ice pack on the forehead might help also...

I take up to 18 of these a month, some months more, some less....but my insurance only allows 18 every 25 days...  http://www.drugs.com/imitrex.html

Imitrex (sumatriptan) is a headache medicine that narrows blood vessels around the brain. Imitrex also reduces substances in the body that can trigger headache pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and other migraine symptoms.

Imitrex is used to treat migraine headaches. Imitrex will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.

I have very good insurance, so it only costs me $5 a month....

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
Great suggestion.

A cool rag or even ice pack on the forehead might help also...

I take up to 18 of these a month, some months more, some less....but my insurance only allows 18 every 25 days...  http://www.drugs.com/imitrex.html

I have very good insurance, so it only costs me $5 a month....

Sounds like the same stuff my neurologist prescribed me.  My insurance company only allowed 12 pills and no refills.  If I needed more, I had to go back and get another prescription for only 12 pills.  Those 12 pills cost $125 without insurance, but only $5 with our co-pay.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
I can't take imitrex because of my auto immune disease (Takayasu's arteritis, it causes arteries to inflame then ultimately close) because it constricts. I really wish I could.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 05:02:07 AM »
My neurologist suggested Vanquish.  I've only found it at Walmart.  The very second I feel a migraine start I pop 3 and if it doesn't totally stop it at least makes it much less severe.

I tried Topamax and it worked, but the side effects were horrible for me.  Right now the Vanquish and, for a really bad one, lying in a darkened room with no noise is working.

I hope you find relief.  It's hell!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 05:33:48 AM »
Make sure you're hydrated. That means WATER, not a bunch of other crap. Try a couple liters a day, minimum.

If you're dehydrated, that can result in some nasty headaches. That, of course, is what hangovers are all about -- dehydration.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.