Author Topic: primitives discuss memory foam mattresses  (Read 515 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss memory foam mattresses
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/11429083

Oh my.

You know, there's a lot of fun and merriment to be had, in posting the miseries of the primitives.

tridim (41,207 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:08 AM

Got a memory foam mattress and now I'm waking with general back pain.

I'm not seeking medical advice, but I was just wondering if this is common in the adjustment period? I've been sleeping on it for 8 days.

When I wake up, the sides of my back hurt and my rib cage is sore up to my shoulder blades. A hot shower and stretching makes it feel better in a few hours. Seems odd for a bed that is supposed to help back pain. I guess it might be my spine adjusting to a more correct sleeping position. The sleep is definitely very comfortable, it's just rolling out of bed in the morning that sucks.

I have slept rather comfortably on a quality 8" futon for 20 years and am kind of wondering if I made a mistake.

elfin (4,321 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:19 AM

1. Return it if you can

I have a bad back and must have a FIRM mattress, even though the salespeople say that is no long er a truism. I had to shop and shop to find a firm enough one WITHOUT the foam or pillow top or any other gimmick.

Got a Serta extra firm with no padding on top. Expensive, but worth it for me.

Where I shopped, the store had a policy of free returns within 30 days.

If you have that arrangement, give it another week or so to see if there is an adjustment to your condition. The store will say to wait in hopes you change your mind.

tridim (41,207 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:38 AM

3. I hope I change my mind, like I say the bed sleeps comfortably.

The firmness of the whole mattress (It's dense foam with a #" memory layer) is very similar to my futon, so I don't really think that's the issue. I'll give it another few weeks. The pain isn't debilitating, just annoying.

Anyway, it came compressed in a box, no way to take it back really.

snappyturtle (12,340 posts)   Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:24 AM   

2. Everybody is different. My back problems went away when I bought a memory foam.

tridim (41,207 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:10 AM

8. I just tested the futon and the memory foam..

No, I haven't thrown out the futon.

My spine is naturally curved on the futon and perfectly straight on the memory foam. That HAS to help. It kind of makes sense that the new alignment might be painful for a while as the spine adjusts. I'll give it some time.

eShirl (12,065 posts)   Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:55 AM

4. if you can, try stretching before bed, too

Also, I find Valerian capsules and/or chamomile tea (including Sleepy Time Tea) help me sleep with less muscle tension and wake with less ache. YMMV

postulater (3,463 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:09 AM

6. There are different foams with different properties. The original memory foam was from TempurPedic. Knockoffs may use cheaper foam that has different properties even though it looks the same.

postulater (3,463 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 12:51 PM

14. I see the costco one has some gel beads embedded into the foam.

I don't know if that affects the support, but it might.

And the foams also have some off-gassing in the first several weeks that you might be sensitive to. ???

Myself, I sleep on a futon (for the last 30 years). Elm slatted frame allows some give.

I tried the TempurPedic for a few weeks but prefer the futon.

womanofthehills (261 posts)    Sat Jul 20, 2013, 10:01 PM

18. I put my memory foam topper in the sun to outgas

I'm sensitive to odors and a few days in the sun takes care of the smell.
<
<
<
<
<
Okay, maybe a stupid question.

What's "off-gassing" or "outgas"?
<
<
<
<
<
enlightenment (6,439 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:09 AM

7. Are you a sound sleeper?

Are you falling asleep and waking up in the same position? If you are and that's a change from before, that might be the cause of the pain.

You might also try putting a board under the mattress. If it's solid foam it isn't as firm (though it may feel that way) as your futon.

tridim (41,207 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:20 AM

9. Quite sound, most of the time at least.

Hmmm, I did notice that I stay on my back much longer. I used to migrate to the left side soon after bedtime.

I'm probably not moving as much due to the cradling sink-factor... Is the pain because my muscles aren't being allowed to move while I sleep? Interesting.

enlightenment (6,439 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 12:01 PM

12. Might be . . .

I am not a sound sleeper - my bed sheets look like I've been break-dancing every morning - but on the rare occasions that I do drop off and sleep soundly enough to not shift position I inevitably wake up with aching joints and muscles.

I don't think it's because it's bad to sleep soundly (I would love to do that regularly) but because my body isn't used to it.

winter is coming (1,659 posts)    Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:55 AM

15. It could be that on the futon, you're still close enough to wakefulness that you shift

position at the first signs of discomfort, but that you're more soundly asleep by the time you reach that same discomfort level on the foam mattress. If it takes you longer to receive and respond to the "move position" signal, you're more likely to be in pain upon waking.

And then finally, Ugly, she with the face like Hindenberg's, pops in and off:

Warpy (70,308 posts)    Sun Jul 14, 2013, 12:42 PM

13. The only bed for me is a futon, like a brick wrapped in cotton batting.

I literally can't walk when I get out of anything softer and the pain is horrendous. Even a conventional mattress with a sheet of plywood between it and the box spring is too soft. With the futon, I walk like Frankenstein's Monster to the loo, but by the time I've gotten the dew off the lily, I can walk normally. Well, normally for me.

I think the problem might be that you don't change position often enough at night, I think that's my problem. The other complaints I've heard is that it's hot to sleep on in summer and it loses its memory too soon for such an expensive mattress.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ChuckJ

Re: primitives discuss memory foam mattresses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
Coach, the material smells for a while when new. They're basically talking about letting the mattress air out. I guess just saying "air out" doesn't sound sophisticated enough for them.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »
Coach, the material smells for a while when new. They're basically talking about letting the mattress air out. I guess just saying "air out" doesn't sound sophisticated enough for them.

Think "new car smell". 

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
Whenever libs open their mouth about anything, they have at least one ulterior motive. I would like to know what the ulterior motive is with memory foam.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
womanofthehills (261 posts)    Sat Jul 20, 2013, 10:01 PM

18. I put my memory foam topper in the sun to outgas

I hope it rained.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
Seems to me they aught to be using natural products like goose down, rice hulls  or fluffed buffalo chips.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
Seems to me they aught to be using natural products like goose down, rice hulls  or fluffed buffalo chips.

Why do DUmbasses hate the widdle duckies and bunnies and the environment so much???  :rotf:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Why do DUmbasses hate the widdle duckies and bunnies and the environment so much???  :rotf:

Yeah, but they love ptarmigans, right? :whistling: O-) :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
Yeah, but they love ptarmigans, right? :whistling: O-) :fuelfire:

Only the militant ones.  The ones that don't feel like rising up against their bunny oppressors; not so much...  :fuelfire:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
Only the militant ones.  The ones that don't feel like rising up against their bunny oppressors; not so much...  :fuelfire:

For the love of whatever, call at least 8 Chiropractor's and ask what they sleep on.  These Doctors only go for the best, last thing one needs is a Chiropractor  working with a back ache.