Author Topic: Parents awarded $2.9M in ‘wrongful birth’ lawsuit over daughter born with Down s  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Zeus

See my earlier comment.  Also, testing, particularly amniocentesis, has risks of harm to the fetus.  What if this were 30 years ago and such testing didn't exist?  How would you feel about them then?

Was a mistake made?  Yup.  Does it rise the the level of malpractice?  Maybe, maybe not--but this being the litigation lotto society we've become, morality and doing the right thing has fallen by the wayside.

Any medical procedure carries certain risks, obviously those risks are considered minimal or the procedures would no be performed.

The Dr. did not do the "right thing' that's why it was considered medical malpractice. I don't agree with Abortion but it is the law. The Dr mistake deprived that couple of the right to make an informed medical decision. whether we agree with what that decision  may be , as long as it is a legal one, is irrelevant .
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Y'all are letting your emotions and personal beliefs get in the way of things.

Possibility of abortion aside for a moment. the Drs. Tested the wrong tissue. You don't see that as a problem ?

Now because the wrong tissue was tested the parents were mislead. Now you may disagree with any decision they may have made if the correct tissue was tested  and they were given the right information But this was clearly a case of medical malpractice.

I'm disgusted that they said they would have aborted their daughter if the test had been accurate, and if I'm being emotional over that then too bad. That poor girl will probably learn some day that mommy and daddy would have had her killed in the womb without a second thought.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jtyangel

Y'all are letting your emotions and personal beliefs get in the way of things.

Possibility of abortion aside for a moment. the Drs. Tested the wrong tissue. You don't see that as a problem ?

Now because the wrong tissue was tested the parents were mislead. Now you may disagree with any decision they may have made if the correct tissue was tested  and they were given the right information But this was clearly a case of medical malpractice.

I stayed away from that part, but I do agree with what you've said here and that's what they were awarded for was the malpractice. That said though, they still had the option of adoption to limit their liability for the child's care.

Offline Zeus

I'm disgusted that they said they would have aborted their daughter if the test had been accurate, and if I'm being emotional over that then too bad. That poor girl will probably learn some day that mommy and daddy would have had her killed in the womb without a second thought.

I am also but under law that was an option available to them if provided the correct information. Everyone has to live with choices they make or may have made.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Zeus

I stayed away from that part, but I do agree with what you've said here and that's what they were awarded for was the malpractice. That said though, they still had the option of adoption to limit their liability for the child's care.

I would like to think that perhaps the Lord above had a hand in the couple deciding to keep the child.

Again whether we agree with the choices they made or may have made their decisions were predicated on faulty medical information.

There are two Downs syndrome boys in my family. One Lives in an assisted living apartment complex and works as a Gopher in a automotive Repair and Body shop. The other require 24 hr around the clock care existing in his own little world coming out occasionally to blather in a language only his mother and sisters understand.

My sister is a stepmother to her son because to get the financial/medical assistance required to care for her son she had to give him up essentially making him a ward of the state. it torn her apart to do it but social workers and the such made sure she would be awarded custody and care of the child.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
And for a stark contrast, here is Sarah Palin acknowledging World Down Syndrome Day, honororing Trig:  https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150634182253435 Also, the video she links to is heartwrenching.

Oh that made me cry! What special families they are.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams