Author Topic: primitives not getting a raise in social security  (Read 577 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives not getting a raise in social security
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=250x3650

There was a bonfire similar with this, posted here yesterday, but this is a different bonfire, which didn't attract many primitives because it's in an obscure forum on Skins's island.

dajoki  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-04-09 02:33 PM
Original message

SSD & SSI; No COLA in 2010 & 2011

Social Security will not raise benefits in 2010, forecasts say

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_12281478?nclick_...

WASHINGTON — For the first time in more than three decades, Social Security recipients will not get any increase in their benefits next year, federal forecasts show.

The absence of a cost-of-living adjustment, calculated under a formula set by law, will be a shock to older Americans already hit by plummeting home values, investment losses and rising health costs. More than 50 million people receive Social Security.

"Most seniors have never been through a year in which there was no Social Security COLA," said David M. Certner, legislative counsel at AARP, the lobby for older Americans. Beneficiaries have received automatic cost-of-living adjustments every year since 1975. The increase this year was 5.8 percent.

<<snip>>

The forecasts, by the Obama administration and the Congressional Budget Office, indicate that Social Security beneficiaries will not receive any cost-of-living increase in 2010 or in 2011. The COLA is intended to preserve the purchasing power of Social Security.

A freeze in Social Security benefits would have major implications for Medicare because the COLA, in effect, puts a cap on premiums for Part B of Medicare, which covers doctors' services.

If there is no cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security, about three-fourths of beneficiaries will not see any change in their basic Part B premiums, federal officials said. But some beneficiaries do not have this protection and could face substantial increases in their Part B premiums.

Douglas W. Elmendorf, director of the Congressional Budget Office, predicted that inflation would remain low for several years, so Social Security might not pay a cost-of-living increase until January 2013. President Barack Obama's budget assumes no increase in 2010 or 2011, then a 1.4 percent COLA in 2012.

DJ13  (1000+ posts)      Mon May-04-09 03:49 PM
Response to Original message

1. So as food continues its slow rise, and gas once again marching towards $3.00

Obama will just tell Social Security recipients tough shit?

An apologist for Pa Kettle in the White House immediately pops up:

MercutioATC  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-04-09 04:21 PM
Response to Original message

2. There IS a COLA adjustment for 2010 and 2011...

...it's just zero.

SS COLAs are based on the CPI-W, which currently shows zero growth in cost of living.

But, since each year's SS COLA is based on comparing Q3 numbers from the previous year with Q3 numbers from the year preceding THAT, I don't see how this announcement is anything more than a prediction.

I dunno.  If I were the phalloscraping primitive or the subway cat, I'd seriously considering taking counseling in "budgeting during tight times."

The gravy train's dribbled out.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: primitives not getting a raise in social security
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:36:42 AM »

I can see where the Little Goons get the impression, but seriously, do they think Odumbo can single-handedly raise the benefits now paid according to the laws governing Social Security? 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Quote from:
DJ13

Again, until I see them say...

Quote from:
I hate ObummerMcCokeSpoonboyturd, that war-mongering, brown-people killer!!  How DARE he not give Social Security recepients more money!!  I DEMAND HE SO SO IMMEDIATELY!!!!1!!ONE!!!!!!ELVENTY11!!!!!!

.... then it's nothing but faux-outrage.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
Boy, I bet a lot of them are going to be really screaming when the "Cap and Tax", save the planet, anti-globull warming, Algore inflating, economy killing, bill is passed, and energy prices quadruple....

Some may have to move their computers from "near the furnace", to "in the furnace"....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »
DUmmies sad/perplexed with ObaMessiah  = VelvetElvis happy/busting gut

No need to worry about energy prices, DUmmies.  We'll all just burn unicorn farts.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »
I thought there was just a substantial COLA increase for 2009? In fact it was the largest increase since 1982.

Prior to that in 1980 & 1981 there was increases of 14 & 11 percent.

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »
And that awful Obama just flew over a camp in Afghanistan, where women, children, and old men were sheltering out, and bombed the shit out of all of them!!!!   IMPEACH THE KILLER OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I don't get it at all.  No outrage over that above, which was on the news at noon, but you can't dunk someone's head under water.  Anyone who ever learned how to wakeboard knows how all that feels.