Author Topic: Do you know Medicade, Long Term Care, will take all you have?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Do you know Medicade, Long Term Care, will take all you have?
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212667471

Miigwech (2,076 posts)

Do you know Medicade, Long Term Care, will take all you have?

OK. You are really ill and need long term care because your loved ones can't take care of you at home any more. The Laws steps in and takes over all of your assets to pay for your care ... in fact, if you have too many assets you will be denied. IS THIS REALLY HOW WE WANT TO TREAT OUR SICK OR ELDERLY?
I thought the DUmmies were against inherited wealth.

They are (surprisingly) divided on this, with some saying it's okay, but others who feel like this:

Star Member iluvtennis (9,483 posts)

21. My sister was a social services eligibiltiy worker and told me this years ago. Gov't will

take care of medical needs but in the small print of the document it says the gov't has a lien on your property/assets.

My sister knew of case where after the woman passed away, the gov't took control of all assets to cover the costs they paid for 18 years of hopitalizations and medical care. The woman's surviving daughter was left with nothing from her mom. So, sickening.
Yeah, dump mom on the taxpayers, then take the $$$ and run. Lots of advice in this thread about transferring assets. My feeling is that it isn't fair to expect the taxpayers to pick up the tab for the nursing home, after the potential heirs have drained the assets. Seems dishonest to me.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Do you know Medicade, Long Term Care, will take all you have?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:04:27 AM »
There are ways of taking an individuals assets and protecting it from being taken. And you don't have to do it years in advance as some primitives have suggested. It can be done that way, but there are other ways. My MIL needed to go into an assisted living facility a little over a year ago, and we liquidated and moved all her assets minus $2,000 (that amount and below is considered to be "destitute" and Medicaid kicks in) into a separate managed account that we only use for little extra things she might need. I'm not going to say on this board how it was done because I don't want to que some primitive on how to do it. I will say I didn't see any of them mention the process. But, if we hadn't have done it, the assisted living facility would have used up all her money until she got to below $2,000 and then Medicaid would have kicked in.

However, my main point to the primitives is this: If you libs hadn't set up this stupid gov't controlled system, then these people could have been taken care of, probably at a higher level than they are now, and without having to deplete them of all they have before the gov't picks up the bill. Such is the folly of liberalism. But, as long as the system you want is in place, then I see no reason why conservatives shouldn't use your own system against you, especially since the overwhelming majority of the tax money being used to pay for this care came from conservative taxpayers and not liberals. Liberals are a drain on society, conservatives are the ones who pay the bills. All I'm doing is reclaiming a portion of my own.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

Re: Do you know Medicade, Long Term Care, will take all you have?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:48:47 AM »
We had some good financial advice and got my ______'s finances appropriately structured well in advance. In the event, other than a few brief hospital and SNF stays Medicare paid for, ______ lived with us for several years and died in our home (about 6 feet from where I'm sitting).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.