Author Topic: RIP Vin Scully  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
RIP Vin Scully
« on: August 03, 2022, 07:38:17 AM »
Dodgers longtime play-by-play announcer Vin Scully dead at 94
Scully was the Dodgers' play-by-play announcer from 1950 to 2016

Los Angeles Dodgers longtime play-by-play announcer Vin Scully died on Tuesday at the age of 94.

Scully was the Dodgers' main broadcaster from 1950 when they played in Brooklyn all the way until his retirement in 2016 at the age of 88. His association with the Dodgers is the longest by a broadcaster in the history of sports - he called games for both Jackie Robinson and Corey Seager.

The Dodgers announced his passing on Twitter late Tuesday evening.

"We have lost an icon. The Dodgers' Vin Scully was one of the greatest voices in all of sports. He was a giant of a man, not only as a broadcaster, but as a humanitarian. He loved people. He loved life. He loved baseball and the Dodgers. And he loved his family. His voice will always be heard and etched in all of our minds forever. I know he was looking forward to joining the love of his life, Sandi. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this very difficult time. Vin will truly be missed."

Scully was the broadcaster for 19 Hall of Famers that donned the Dodgers uniform during his tenure with the team.

Aside from calling Dodgers games, Scully was on the mic for 25 World Series, 20 no-hitters, 12 All-Star Games, and three perfect games. He also called NFL games from 1975 to 1982, including Dwight Clark's catch in the 1981 NFC Championship Game, as well as professional tennis and the PGA Tour.

Perhaps his most notable calls are from Sandy Koufax's perfect game in 1965, Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's home run record in 1974, Bill Buckner's error in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, and Kirk Gibson's walk-off home run in Game 1 of the 1988 Fall Classic.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/dodgers-longtime-play-announcer-vin-scully-dead-94

And a nice little tribute:

https://youtu.be/Ijs-nrmUO2c
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: RIP Vin Scully
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 03:14:52 PM »
He was one of the great storytellers, while calling the game.

Here's one example.

Incredible how he called the game for 67 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZtO_ZVM9s
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 06:22:36 PM »
He was one of the great storytellers, while calling the game.

Here's one example.

Incredible how he called the game for 67 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZtO_ZVM9s

I feel privileged to have heard him throughout my formative baseball memories from childhood to adulthood. Rather than dominate and monopolize the action (or lack thereof) on TV or radio, he just said what was important and stayed out of the way.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 10:59:41 PM »
R.I.P., Vin.

I was mostly indifferent towards him, probably because he broadcasted for a championship-caliber team that hardly hit any homers.  The Dodgers were all about pitching and base-running.  My undeveloped mind was more keyed-into announcers who were frequently describing homeruns for the teams they broadcasted for.

" That baby has 'Downtown Tokyo' written all over it !!! "

But I eventually fell in-love with the guy.  -Unless he was pointlessly gushing about Tommy Lasorda again.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:25:13 PM by Drafe Hoblin »

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »
Dang, he was a good one. They are paying respects and playing some of his great football calls during the HOF game this evening,

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 10:16:44 PM »
I feel privileged to have heard him throughout my formative baseball memories from childhood to adulthood. Rather than dominate and monopolize the action (or lack thereof) on TV or radio, he just said what was important and stayed out of the way.

Same here. V8n Scully's voice calling Dodgers games WAS Summer. Forever linked.

RIP Vin. One of the classiest men to  ever draw breath.  His HOF speech is coassic,
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.