Author Topic: On the Labor Shortage, HOAs, and Speaking Spanish  (Read 500 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
On the Labor Shortage, HOAs, and Speaking Spanish
« on: May 18, 2022, 07:06:03 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216701692

MineralMan (143,514 posts)

On the Labor Shortage, HOAs, and Speaking Spanish

So, a crew of four men are finishing up the job of putting new siding on the townhome my wife and I bought in June of last year. That's an expensive job, but our contract for the purchase said that new siding would be installed without any new assessments. It's one of the reasons we decided on that place. An exterior remodel at no additional cost. BONUS!

The quad home building, in a development of 7 other quad home buildings that are essentially identical, was built in 1974 or 75, so the original siding, which was replaced with new vinyl siding was old plywood T1-11 siding that was in wide use on places like that. It needed replacing. Along with the siding, we got new gutters, soffits, soffit vents and new outdoor lighting as part of the deal.

I have been reading reports that there is a serious labor shortage in the construction trades here, so I expected a delay, but nope. The crew, hired by a large local contractor has been busy since late April, working on the job on one building at a time. By the end of the summer, all of the quads will be done.

I soon learned that only one person on the four-man crew spoke English. He's the crew leader. All spoke Spanish. The owner of the construction company, who drives a big-ass Ford F350 diesel pickup, speaks only English, of course. I know siding work and general construction, but I stayed away from the work crew. Nothing worse than a property owner hanging around and asking questions. I watched them work, though, on an adjacent quad. They work hard, long, and fast, and do everything properly. I can tell.

So, I didn't talk with the crew, except to say Good Morning, and nod my head and smile as I come and go. But, I stayed out of their way as they went about their very noisy work, yelling back and forth at each other in Spanish. Hard, fast workers, but careful.

They're wrapping up late this afternoon, so I just went out with four envelopes containing a cash tip for each of them. All four were up on the balcony deck, doing that area as the last part of my townhouse and the quad. On the envelope, I wrote, "¡Gracias por el trabajo!" As I handed them the envelopes, I said something else complimentary in Spanish to each of them. Big smiles, and surprised looks were my thanks from them. This is Minnesota. The average homeowner here does not speak or understand Spanish.

Given the shortage of workers, I think they probably get good wages from the Contractor. If not, they could easily find other jobs. But, if it weren't for Spanish-speaking immigrant workers, people would be hard-pressed to get crews for siding, roofing, and other construction and remodeling work. Are they documented? I have no idea. It doesn't matter to me. They did good work.

America was built by immigrants. It's still being built by immigrants. Eventually, and already in some places, they are or will be the majority. That scares right-wing, racist idiots, who whine but aren't interested in doing the work that builds a nation and its homes.

¡Gracias por el trabajo, señores!

Oh yeah?  What else did you tell them?  As much as you like to brag I'm sure you can share it.

I brought this over for just one reply ...

Sympthsical (3,862 posts)

7. Cringe

Just.

Cringe.

:lmao:

I don't know how he manages to not get banned.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Karin

Re: On the Labor Shortage, HOAs, and Speaking Spanish
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 07:37:37 AM »
And I'm surprised he hasn't quit the place altogether in disgust.  Man, that was a super long screed just to pat himself on the back.  What a boring story. 

Sympth killed the thread. 

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 08:09:40 AM »
Look how easy it is for them to go from "Spanish-speaking" to "Immigrant" and "Green Card".
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 08:40:21 AM »
1. "Loving my NEW HOME, DU-peasants."

2. Not all whose first language is Spanish are illegal immigrants. For that matter, not all are immigrants or the children of immigrants. Being from SoCal, MM should know this, but he should also know that many DU-folk would not.

3. Did any of the workers respond, "¡Vaya al infierno, payaso rico!" Or merely think that?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:42:54 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 08:58:57 AM »
Quote from:
MineralMan

Are they documented? I have no idea. It doesn't matter to me.

It matters to millions of others, which should send a signal to rockhead that it should matter to him, but he's not bright enough to figure that out. Dems in general don't care about those who enter the country illegally. At some point, either politically or otherwise, it will revisit them in a not-so-friendly way.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »
MineralMan

Are they documented? I have no idea. It doesn't matter to me.

I hope MM is sufficiently senescent to say that to citizens and/or legal residents displaced from their jobs by illegals.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 09:31:19 AM »
Eventually, and already in some places, they are or will be the majority.
Did MM just invoke The Great Replacement theory?

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 09:36:43 AM »
7. Cringe

Just.

Cringe.

Virtue signal is experiencing disruptions.

And therein lies the hypocrisy. Democrats openly say that an influx of immigrants will cause demographic shifts, and political change in their favor along with it. They refer to it as "the browning of America". And then they accuse republicans of promoting "Great Replacement Theory".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:59:41 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 10:41:09 AM »

^5!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 10:56:21 AM »
Rock Head once again proves that liberals are the only ones actually concerned with race. I'll hire (or work for) anyone without regard to their gender/race/sexual proclivity. That's what successful people do rather than being obsessed with checking boxes of inclusion.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 11:31:23 AM »
Virtue signal is experiencing disruptions.

And therein lies the hypocrisy. Democrats openly say that an influx of immigrants will cause demographic shifts, and political change in their favor along with it. They refer to it as "the browning of America". And then they accuse republicans of promoting "Great Replacement Theory".

I don't think they do a lot of research. Hispanics and black people are shifting to the right. Texas and Florida are getting redder.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »
This is how far left you lunatics have gone. Musk voted democrat his entire life. He tweeted this. There isn't a SINGLE issue you idiots can show that we, on the right, have moved further right on. The RNC in general has moved a little left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qbsgyg1iVo

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 12:07:12 PM »

Proggies publicly celebrate the "replacing", they just scream racism when they get called out for the policies that engender the "replacing".

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 01:27:24 PM »
RKP5637 (62,963 posts)

1. Crews I've been around on some of the buildings I've owned, I've always found the immigrants

work harder than some of the white guys. I've always noticed this, and I've been around construction. For one example we were laying a large patio. I noticed the edges had scant rebar. I asked the white guy working the edges if he could throw in some extra rebar. Well, he gave me some lip, that it wasn't needed, blah blah blah. A Mexican guy on the job noticed ... and brought over more rebar and put it in. The white guy slunk away. I was talking with the owner of the company later about some stuff ... he said he always tries to hire all immigrants when he can. They do better work and are easy to get along with. And he pays them top dollar. 

This DUmmy makes a broad stereotypical statement about white people and then advocates for racial hiring preferences.  And I'm sure they wouldn't consider what they wrote in the least bit racist.

Xolodno (5,179 posts)

4. I practically grew up in construction.

My father put me on the roof when I was 14 (and I got the messed up back to prove it), that was also the day I decided I was going to college.

But yes, immigrant workers get the job done, no questions ask. Others tend to want more pay than what is reasonable, drag out the hours to get more pay, some are drug addicts and unreliable to show up, etc.

I did learn a lot of spanglish however.

More stereotypes.  And what happened to paying a living wage?  Seems like he's proud of the fact that his Dad hired illegals so he could pay them crap wages.

What they can't seem to comprehend is that most people are not against immigration, they are against illegal immigration.  And our immigration policies should be shaped by our labor needs.  Temporary visas for seasonal agricultural work isn't a problem.  H1-B's, if used they way they were intended, are not being objected to.  The flood of unskilled people illegally crossing the border who are stressing our social systems and committing crimes are what people have a problem with.  And it isn't racist to say so.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 03:31:26 PM »

I don't think they do a lot of research. Hispanics and black people are shifting to the right. Texas and Florida are getting redder.

True, which makes their sentiments a double-dose of dumbassedness.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 05:53:23 PM »
This DUmmy makes a broad stereotypical statement about white people and then advocates for racial hiring preferences.  And I'm sure they wouldn't consider what they wrote in the least bit racist.

More stereotypes.  And what happened to paying a living wage?  Seems like he's proud of the fact that his Dad hired illegals so he could pay them crap wages.

What they can't seem to comprehend is that most people are not against immigration, they are against illegal immigration.  And our immigration policies should be shaped by our labor needs.  Temporary visas for seasonal agricultural work isn't a problem.  H1-B's, if used they way they were intended, are not being objected to.  The flood of unskilled people illegally crossing the border who are stressing our social systems and committing crimes are what people have a problem with.  And it isn't racist to say so.

Nailed it!

KC

*Stolen