Interests > The Science Club

EMP

(1/6) > >>

AARguy:
In these dangerous times could you survive the aftereffects of an EMP attack? Are you prepared for EMP? Do you have a plan?

franksolich:

--- Quote ---An electromagnetic pulse (EMP), also a transient electromagnetic disturbance (TED), is a brief burst of electromagnetic energy.

Depending upon the source, the origin of an EMP can be natural or artificial, and can occur as an electromagnetic field, as an electric field, as a magnetic field, or as a conducted electric current.

The electromagnetic interference caused by an EMP disrupts communications and damages electronic equipment; at higher levels of energy, an EMP, such as a lightning strike can physically damage objects such as buildings and aircraft.

EMP weapons are designed to deliver the damaging effects of a high-energy EMP that will disrupt unprotected infrastructure in the country, thus the employment of an EMP weapon against a country is the scenario of war most likely to collapse the functionality of the electrical network of the country.
--- End quote ---

AARguy:
Yup... that's it. Our own EMP weapons like Boeing's "CHAMP" can be devastating. You can bet the bad guys have similar stuff. Military systems remain very vulnerable but civilian systems are even MORE vulnerable. Are folks trying to prepare?

Eupher:

--- Quote from: AARguy on January 16, 2022, 10:26:07 PM ---Yup... that's it. Our own EMP weapons like Boeing's "CHAMP" can be devastating. You can bet the bad guys have similar stuff. Military systems remain very vulnerable but civilian systems are even MORE vulnerable. Are folks trying to prepare?

--- End quote ---

What do you suggest? How does one prepare for or against an EMP attack?

AARguy:
Well, I admit to being something of a "prepper". I started by buying an old car to restore... a car with points and plugs,not a computer and fuel injection. Its a fun hobby and if just happens to be an EMP attack someday,I'll have a car that works.

And I have made two "Faraday Cages" to safeguard an old, unused laptop I have, a digital camera, a spare blood sugar monitor, some radios and such.

Its not much. But its a start.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version