Author Topic: nocturnally foul one wants to nail it  (Read 1010 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
nocturnally foul one wants to nail it
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x6768

The Night Owl  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-01-08 04:32 PM
Original message

Should I use Liquid Nails or real nails?

I'm about to attach some baseboards to walls and then quarter round to the baseboards. Should I use Liquid Nails or real nails?

And, what is the point of coping a joint if the same effect can be acheived by mitering? Coping just seems like a difficult way to do something really easy.

I doubt this is our nocturnally foul one, as there's a misspelled word in the post, and our nocturnally foul one is more respectful of and courteous to his audience, carefully crafting his posts with no misspelled words.

The one, on the other hand, seems to be thinking, "oh, they're just a bunch of hicks, my audience, and so I can be careless and sloppy in making my post."

Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-01-08 06:53 PM
Response to Original message

1. Real nails

You'll cuss the glue if you ever find need to try to remove the trim ..... and in time, you **will** need to remove it.

If you have an air compressor, get a nail gun. It **really** makes the job a snap.

Check these guys out. Cheap, made in China stuff, but I have had excellent results with it for my modest needs. I have renovated two houses with their stuff, but I'm no pro. These are way too cheap for pros, but for homeowners, they're great.

On edit ...... coping vs mitering:

Coping gives a much tighter joint.

I use a completely different method: Caulk.

AZDemDist6  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-01-08 10:20 PM

3. i agree with H2S, you'll need to remove them at some point and you'll tear the wall to shit if you don't use regular nails (it'll still tear up the wall, but NOTHING like trying to get glue off) and a little brad gun makes it quick work for sure!

amerikat  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-01-08 10:57 PM

4. I agree with H2S also....some thing else to consider

Nails will do better at pulling the molding closer to the wall. If you have any waviness in the wall nails will help pull it up tight. Better yet use trim head screws. They are like a sheetrock screw but with a smaller head(usually with a small square drive).

Copeing has it's points also, but I don't want to get into that. It's just to complicated.

Wash. state Desk Jet  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-02-08 05:20 AM
Response to Reply #4

5. I'm buy;en the security camara for $39.00 ! It's $100.00 at Lowe's ! Sure brad nails with air nail gun or finish nails ,drill very small pilot holes., that way you will not crack your molding . Better that way for counter sinking your finishers . They use glue where they cannot hit the plate at the bottom or there isn't one! That way see,if the nail don't get it the glue will! The brad nail gun or finishing nail gun gives you much better angle shots where the plate is hard to reach. Or you angle down tword the floor. And of course you don't need pilot holes.

But if you don't have a nail gun ,hammer finishing nails and drill for pilot holes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: nocturnally foul one wants to nail it
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »

where is he these days, by the way?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »

where is he these days, by the way?

Yeah, does anybody know?

The nocturnally foul one responded to one of my posts the other day, in his usual aesthetic and pleasing and correctly spelled presentation of the comment, betraying respect for his audience, and I meant to get back to him, but was suddenly tied up with that PUMA thing, and so never did.

And alas, I've forgotten the topic of that thread, and the nocturnally foul one's comment.

Excresence happens.  One accepts, adapts, and moves on.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »
He was here last night. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.