Author Topic: (DU Remembers) Grammys 1969: Performance from "Hair"  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Lord Undies

(DU Remembers) Grammys 1969: Performance from "Hair"
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=385x164717
hadrons (1000+ posts)        Sat Aug-02-08 06:40 PM
Original message
Grammys 1969: Performance from "Hair"

Run time: 03:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxSGikrhrnI

Posted on YouTube: August 02, 2008
By YouTube Member: RealAgentOfSHIELD
Views on YouTube: 74

Posted on DU: August 02, 2008
By DU Member: hadrons
Views on DU: 130

The original cast of the LA production of Hair perform as it originally staged at the 1969 Grammy Awards. The songs are Aquarius and Flesh Failures

The footage is transferred from 16mm, so that explains the grainyness of it (it actually had the original commercials, but they were all lame Timex ones - the sole sponser of the broadcast.)

Since the show is going thru bit of a revivial here in NY and people do seem to be tuning in more to its anti-war message.

Tommy Smothers gives the intro.

zeemike  (1000+ posts)        Sat Aug-02-08 07:47 PM
Response to Original message
2. Thanks so much for bringing that to us
   I only have dial up but I took the time to watch it anyway. It brought back a flood of memories.
And just look at Tommy Smothers...we were so young then and so full of hope...Had anyone suggested to us that we would spend our declining years in a situation worse than the Vet Nam era we would have thought them crazy...but here we are.

:whatever:  In your dreams, DUmbass.  Wishing don't make it so.

And the young probably don't realize what a shock it was for many to see a white person standing on a stage with there arms around a black person...only the Hippies had the nerve to do such a thing and it freaked some people out.
I hope they do bring it back to the stage or even a movie because Hair was about hope for a better future.

YES!!  It was SOOOOOOOOO shocking to see Andy Williams with his arm around Ella Fitgerald while they sang a duet.  It was a SHOCK! SHocK, I tell you, to see Sammy Davis, Jr. hanging all over Barbra Streisand while they sang together.  It was STUNNING to see The Fifth Dimension slobbered all over by everyone at that very same Grammy Awards show.

SHOCKING!!!!

annabanana  (1000+ posts)         Sat Aug-02-08 07:59 PM
Response to Original message
5. Brings tears to my eyes....
   We WERE right dammit. And it all seemed not only possible then, but inevitable. And my my we did all party together....

Right about what?  That hippies were the most ridiculous and hypocritical bunch to ever form a "movement"?

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: (DU Remembers) Grammys 1969: Performance from "Hair"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »
Their every waking moment is dedicated to self gratification without caring a whit about anyone else.

No matter how they try to dress it up they are the most selfish lot to ever walk the Earth.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:11:01 PM »
Is this that Broadway show where everybody showed their pubic hairs?

For obvious reasons, I've never paid much attention to theater.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:18:28 PM »
Is this that Broadway show where everybody showed their pubic hairs?

For obvious reasons, I've never paid much attention to theater.

Yes, they showed everything in a carefully choreographed finale.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:32:06 PM »
This last friday I went to support a friend daughter in high school.  They did HAIR.  I was OK until the upside down flag with torture is evil marked on it.  I booed and not a single person near me said shit. My wife knew there was going to be some crap happening when the upside down flag came out with torture is wrong on it.  Not a bouncy or stretchy, nobody looked at me cross eyed.  Yes I'm 6 foot and 220lbs but not a single person looked my way when I booed.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »
This last friday I went to support a friend daughter in high school.  They did HAIR.  I was OK until the upside down flag with torture is evil marked on it.  I booed and not a single person near me said shit. My wife knew there was going to be some crap happening when the upside down flag came out with torture is wrong on it.  Not a bouncy or stretchy, nobody looked at me cross eyed.  Yes I'm 6 foot and 220lbs but not a single person looked my way when I booed.

I would have walked out booing and insisted on seeing the person in charge.  I mean it.  It would have been a scene.