Author Topic: deer-loving primitive upsets the primitives  (Read 1117 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
deer-loving primitive upsets the primitives
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:06:33 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3231713

Oh my.

It starts off so innocently.

Cheney Killed Bambi (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:08 AM
Original message

One-Third of Seniors Have Mental Decline

Source: Washington Post

More than 5 million elderly people have a hard time remembering things, sorting through daily decisions and even sometimes knowing what day it is, according to the first national estimate of how commonly the minds of aging Americans are starting to fade.

Using detailed evaluations of a nationally representative sample of 856 people ages 71 and older, the federally sponsored study concluded that 22 percent have begun to see their mental faculties decline, which translates into 5.4 million people.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...

And then turns ugly really fast, with a few lame attempts at making funnies.

skooooo (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:10 AM
Response to Original message

1. Why put this into the context of politics?

This is deeply personal. I'm sure we all have older family members we worry about.

ColbertWatcher (388 posts)       Tue Mar-18-08 12:11 AM
Original message

How is this political?

To start:

* stem cell research

Mojorabbit  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:13 AM
Response to Reply #1

4. Well I guess you could say that since McCain is in the age bracket.....

I am in my fiftys and have trouble remembering things myself.

parasim (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:11 AM

2. Yeah, no kidding...

Get 'em in their while they're young, I say, 'cause I'm 50 and I can't remember a damn thing.

suston96 (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:12 AM

3. I am in that group and I have no problem remembering what day it is. 

I sometimes lose track of what year it is. That damned 21st century crap got me all screwed up.

Captain Angry  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:16 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. I'm in my 30's and I don't know what day it is.

One of us is screwed, and it's not you.

send in the clowns  (657 posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:16 AM

6. Poverty Doesn't Help

People are often forced to stay behind locked doors for fear or because they can't afford to go anywhere. They have no way or no finances to join those day centers just for seniors where they exercise their mind and their body as well as give them a nutritional meal. Many do not eat right and often sit in front of a tv screen all day. Many seniors don't have family members either that could keep them a bit more active.

When you have no money and your health as not good you lose a lot of options. When your medicines take up all your spare cash you often can't eat right. When you live in a poor neighborhood just taking a walk might be dangerous. Those who have the luxury of money,transportation,health etc can afford daycare,a nice stroll or have healthful meals home delivered.

Many seniors today are very much alone and that might start their mental decline in many directions.

lonestarnot  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:39 AM
Response to Reply #6

8. Stark reality isn't it. Sucks.

Wickerman   (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-18-08 12:23 AM

7. I was certain the OP said : One-Third of Senators Have Mental Decline

That would certainly explain a lot...

Jokes aside, getting this info quantified is big. We are facing an explosion in the next few years of older folks and the resources needed are not in place.

troubleinwinter  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-18-08 12:57 AM

9. What a crappy article. "22% over 71". Lies, damned lies and statistics. 

Were all of them over 90? Were 90% over 88? Were 79% over 87? We don't know. Trash.

I have friends who are 95 and 94 and 85. Smarter and sharper than I've ever been. I meet with 100 people who are interested in a subject every month, most are well over 70, and into their 80s and 90s. Dynamic, sharp, interested and interesting people. They enjoy cocktails, too. And smart jokes. Their bodies are wrinkly, but their minds are quick and sharp.

This article is complete shit. It seeks to diminish elder people and their worth, energy, intelligence and abilities. Why didn't they make the cut-off age at 52? Or 37 or 61? I'm dumber at 57 than many of the people at age 80 that I know.

Or at franksolich's age.

My fellow alum Skins, Pedro Picasso, Doug's ex-wife, Oscar Wilde, and franksolich all have similar IQs, within a point or less of each other.  Of course, Doug's ex-wife's is considerably corroded, but it was there, once.

tpsbmam  (447 posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 07:46 AM
Response to Reply #9

20. It's not complete shit

I agree with you in that I know a number of people over age 80 who are sharp, intelligent and vital. It is a fact, though, that one's risk of developing dementias of various kinds increases with age. Alzheimer's, to choose the most prevalent, is found in about 10% of people over 65 It's found in almost 50% of people over age 85. Age is one of the primary risk factors for Alzheimer's. Like you I don't want to see our elders diminished in people's views in any way -- hell, I'm not that far from being one of 'em! But yes, statistics matter. Knowing the full of vitality & smarts of people we encounter over say 80 doesn't change the fact that there are millions of Americans in that same age group who need help.

And yes, that number is going to grow with the baby boomer generation. Are we ever going to institute policies that address that problem? So far, we haven't. I prefer to address the problem before it gets here but it seems the US won't since so far there's been a lot of hand-wringing but no action. Now there's a big surprise.

better tomorrow (719 posts)     Tue Mar-18-08 01:03 AM

10. I can identify with this thread.....my mental faculties are declining so that must be why I am on a DU message board....heh heh

harmonicon (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 01:25 AM

12. what about non seniors?

Shit man, sometimes I forget what day it is. I forget tons of stuff. I hate John McCain, but this is really not a good way to put the guy down (he's old! oh no! Oh, shit! So is Clinton! The sky is falling!).

On Edit:

Oh damn.

I hit "post" before getting done.

Really, I did.

It must be age.

Well, I formatted it on edit, but I don't think I'll bother adding more of it; sorry.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:13:28 AM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: deer-loving primitive upsets the primitives
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »
Hussein Osama has trouble remembering his pastor is an anti-American, racist a**wipe.  I don't see any of the DUmmies mentioning that.  Perhaps they forgot.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:25:53 AM »
Captain Angry  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:16 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. I'm in my 30's and I don't know what day it is.

One of us is screwed, and it's not you.

Which brings me to my next point, kids. Don't smoke crack.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »
Proof that dropping acid and smoking pot DOES affect your mental abilities.  Could also prove that sunlight helps keep your mental acumen.....GET OUT OF THE BASMENT.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »
Mojorabbit  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 12:13 AM
Response to Reply #1

4. Well I guess you could say that since McCain is in the age bracket.....

I am in my fiftys and have trouble remembering where I hid my dope stash and when to clean my bong.

f1x0r3d...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »

On Edit:

Oh damn.

I hit "post" before getting done.

Really, I did.

It must be age.

Well, I formatted it on edit, but I don't think I'll bother adding more of it; sorry.

Who are you?  :naughty:
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄