Author Topic: Anyone getting any hits, feelings, etc., regarding the economy?  (Read 846 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
SeattleGirl  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-17-08 12:52 AM
Original message
Anyone getting any hits, feelings, etc., regarding the economy?
 I know the Japanese market is in trouble, and ours isn't looking so good either. I also read a post that said that someone (can't recall who, but some finance guy) says we may be looking at a depression as big as the Great Depression.

I'm not feeling so very good about this.

Just wondering if anyone has anything on this.

kineta  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-17-08 04:07 AM
Response to Original message
1. I haven't really been getting any feelings of impending financial meltdown
 - in spite of what I read daily here at DU, or in the news.

Wondering if my intuition is in hibernation mode, or what. So - I did some divination tonight. In fact, because most of my savings is in the stock market, I've been doing divination frequently on the topic.

What I'm getting is this - there is some positive input happening - the feds pumping money into the economy, etc. It might take a while for the market to react to this and stabilize. In the near term, the stock market will continue to fluctuate sharply. Reaction to news (good one day, bad the next), probably some hidden things coming to light, and volatile emotions will effect strong ups and downs in the near term. But also I'm seeing some wise guidance at play. Not sure where that's coming from exactly. I think by the end of the year things will be better - maybe Bush out of office and a Dem victory will revitalize things(?)

I'm cautiously optimistic. Let's hope this is right.
Hope2006  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-17-08 04:10 PM
Response to Reply #1
11. Thank you, Kineta
 Your post really resonates with me. Despite the posts I have been seeing in GD, I have had the gut feeling that, in fact, things are not going to be as bad as predicted.

I have wondered if this is yet another diversion. I think this could be, but, even in that event, I think that, if this is the case, it will be unsuccessful.

votesomemore  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-17-08 02:07 PM
Response to Reply #5
8. This is what I've been thinking also..
 a new currency. All of our money is worthless. They have been printing money with no backing for decades. It is an unsustainable system .. the Federal Reserve. I hope they have nothing to do with a new system.

The chaos is echoed in the astrology excerpt I posted above. It's blamed on Uranus. 

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=245x66150

Yup, the current financial stories are all made up as a diversion from ... well something or another...

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Anyone getting any hits, feelings, etc., regarding the economy?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »
The chaos is echoed in the astrology excerpt I posted above. It's blamed on Uranus.

No, it's your anus, and it's what's coming from it that's causing the problem.  But, then again, that's all that comes from your side . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ReardenSteel

Re: Anyone getting any hits, feelings, etc., regarding the economy?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »
I get stiffness in my left ankle and left knee but I can never remember which means rain and which means a 2% drop in the DOW.  :( :whatever:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826