Author Topic: primitives discuss bowel examinations  (Read 1086 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss bowel examinations
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:18:03 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=389&topic_id=5885861

babylonsister  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jun-20-09 01:32 AM
Original message

Have you had a colonoscopy? 

I'm 53 and my dr. has never suggested one. Alternately, my husband has been going to the same place as long as I have, and he just had his second colonoscopy on the advice of 'his' doctor. He also gets yearly chest ex-rays when I've been told by my doc they don't work.

Hmm.

And fwiw, my doc is a woman, his is a man.

As one might imagine, it's an awesomely enormous bonfire, a really big bonfire, so again, only the Primitives of Prominence:

The California piggy primitive:

CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jun-20-09 01:35 AM
Response to Original message

1. My dear babylonsister!

Yup, I've had one. I was overdue, and had some "symptoms."

Everyone should have one, starting at age 50, for screening. They are no big deal. The prep is not fun, but the procedure is easy...you're unconscious.

Yearly chest x-rays? Nah. Unless you have some awful lung disease.

The Rita Hayworth primitive:

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Sat Jun-20-09 02:29 AM
Response to Reply #15

21. I don't know what I got, but there was absolute NO pain. None. I was just wide-awake and hungry when it was over.

Don't be afraid, kiddo. It's really easy.

When I took my mother for hers, about ten years ago, I was standing beside her bed when she woke up - right across from the nurses' station - and as she opened her eyes, she loudly announced, "They gave me Ecstasy!"

Broke everyone up. She was a gem..................

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Sat Jun-20-09 02:07 AM

12. Yep............

Had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy at the same time. I had no trouble drinking that stuff, but then I threw it up just as the gastroenterologist walked in - I was a hospital patient at the time.

She said not to sweat it, they had a really small scope they could use, so I didn't sweat it.

They were awfully nice, I was my usual chatty self until the handsome French anesthesiologist smiled at me, and the next thing I knew, I was waking up. No soreness, nothing. I couldn't believe it had been done.

Got such a good report from the gastroenterologist, she kept coming to visit me in my room. We shared a love of Italy, though, and we had lots to talk about. But, she also said she doesn't get to deliver such good news very often, so she was enjoying telling me how healthy my system was, over and over.

I asked her when I should next have it done, and she told me to check back in ten years.

Do it.......................

cherokeeprogressive  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jun-20-09 02:30 AM

22. 48 and not yet. My doctor did a colonofingerscopy last year though. Hated it.

For what it's worth, he said it wasn't the high point of his day either.

Doug's ex-wife:

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jun-20-09 03:08 AM

31. I haven't but my cousin who is about 5 years young than we are did and found out she was dealing with cancer. She's doing fine but, had she waited, it would have been very, very bad news.

The vindictive primitive, who's probably still poring over tourist brochures to find a third-world country with free medical care to get some new hips, provided the third world country has beaches:

Vinca  (1000+ posts)      Sat Jun-20-09 12:19 PM

47. I've had a couple. The worst part is the preparation . . . 

and the bill if you happen to be uninsured like me. I think the first one I had which found and removed a few benign polyps probably saved me from grief later on.

I'm disappointed.

No sparkling husband primitive, no Pedro Picasso, at this bonfire.

And it's a natural for them.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline sharkhawk

Re: primitives discuss bowel examinations
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:46:06 AM »
Thank god Ben Burch got the TS.  I don't think I would want to hear his take on this. :o

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
Is there anything these people won't talk about on the wide-open innerwebs?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
Is there anything these people won't talk about on the wide-open innerwebs?

If there is, it hasn't been invented yet.
apres moi, le deluge