Author Topic: Wills gets a "smart" telephone  (Read 515 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Wills gets a "smart" telephone
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018576598

Oh my.

The one-track, one-issue (gaiety) primitive deviates from his norm, talking about something else.

William769 (36,991 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:36 PM

Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting in the Lounge.

Just some feel good news about what I have discovered that I have been missing.

The last time I owned a cell phone, you couldn't send a text message (this is the starting point of my new found discovery).

Last week I bought a smart phone (and for me this was huge endeavor on my part). The main reason I got a smart phone is so when I am at a doctor's office or some place that I need to kill time, I can watch movies on my phone (this phone has a 6 inch screen, thank God the case has a belt clip).

I had not planned on using the texting part of the phone because typing on such a small space I would find impossible. Then I found out that I can talk into my phone and it types for me! (needless to say my friends are ready to throw my phone away because I am a texting fool now).

Also my phone came with a blue tooth for my ear (which I found strange in the beginning, but now I don't know how I ever lived without one!)

Don't even get me started on the apps.

I don't know if the post makes much sense to anyone who reads it but I feel really good about the things I have learned since I got my smart phone and became part of the 21st century person on the go that I just wanted to share my good feeling's about this.

Okay, everybody's aware of franksolich's hostility towards cellular telephones, but I'll get into that later.

Except for right now, I have a question.

Why does one feel a need to be "entertained" while in the waiting-room of a doctor's office?

<<<have met some very interesting or otherwise remarkable people while in the waiting-room of a doctor's office; people who provided much entertainment, illumination, or insight, or a combination of those.

<<<has never had a dull moment while in the waiting-room of a doctor's office.

Rhythm (4,994 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:41 PM

1. I'm the only person in my family without a 'smart' phone...

Mine has a slide-out keyboard, so it's good for calls and texts, and even has a rudimentary browser...

But no apps or video capability.

I may upgrade soon...

William769 (36,991 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:44 PM

3. I was fighting change (not sure why).

But I'm glad I did.

If you do, I hope you have as good experience as I did.

<<<suspects Wills was "fighting change" because instinctively or intuitively he knew that such a toy would isolate him from other people, right when he wants to reach out and touch someone.

OriginalGeek (6,893 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:44 PM

2. TIme to crush some candy and fling birds

angry birds. Dressed in Star Wars clothes.

Welcome to the 21st century sir! Beware the micro-transactions. They (app developers in cahoots with your service provider) make it REALLY easy to spend a few cents here and a few cents there to get something you want and before you know it you've spent 500 dollars to get to the next level.

But do check with amazon as they offer a free app every day (one that normally would cost money as opposed to apps that are always free) and sometimes it's one that you actually want.

William769 (36,991 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:46 PM

4. Thanks for the tip.

The phone came with a lot of apps and and the only one's I have downloaded so far have been free one's. I want to take the apps part of the phone slowly.

rug (56,118 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:48 PM

5. Which one did you get?

William769 (36,991 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:52 PM

6. This one.

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phones/boost-max/

Sorry not sure what to call it.

rug (56,118 posts)   Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:55 PM

7. I got one a Samsung Galaxy Note II last year and I still haven't figured it out.

That battery life on yours is amazing, 16 hours!

William769 (36,991 posts)    Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:58 PM

8. As long as you don't have a live wall paper.

But I have a car charger.

I have been going about 12 hours.

Okay, now my bitchery.

Why would someone want to voluntarily cut himself off from his immediate surroundings, by yakking on a telephone instead of observing people and events going on around him?

And it seems to me that especially in crime-ridden blue areas, that would be dangerous.  One might be yakking away, totally oblivious to that someone's behind one, getting ready to bash one over the head and steal his stuff.  Or worse.

And think of those at the receiving end; maybe they don't want to communicate with the sender (for one reason or another; perhaps it's an inconvenient time, or perhaps they're momentarily picqued, or perhaps they're engaged in doing something more important).
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Wills gets a "smart" telephone
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »

Why would someone want to voluntarily cut himself off from his immediate surroundings, by yakking on a telephone instead of observing people and events going on around him?

And think of those at the receiving end; maybe they don't want to communicate with the sender (for one reason or another; perhaps it's an inconvenient time, or perhaps they're momentarily picqued, or perhaps they're engaged in doing something more important).

I don't have any data, of course, but I suspect that the yakking among friends and family on cellphone calls has been reduced significantly by the advent of unlimited text messages.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
Sucks when the phone is smarter that you are...right Wills?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:19 AM »
I have a smart phone, and actually using it as a telephone is one of the things that I do the least with it.  For me it is a pocket sized music player, camera, audiobook player, e-book reader, and internet browser.  I do call and text people, but that isn't the primary use of my phone anymore.