Author Topic: Frank is right again...  (Read 504 times)

Offline Kimberly

Frank is right again...
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
primitives shouldn't own pets

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
 mopinko (39,404 posts)

shit. got a really sick birdie.
had one eye on my lori for a few weeks, as she did not seem to be getting into enough trouble, or screaming loud enough. i have been out of town for a few days, and i spaced out mentioning this to my daughter. not sure how she was acting, but this morning her food dish was still untouched, and she was fluffy and wobbling on the perch. bird owners know what that means.
the vet is in surgery, and i have an hour and a half to tap my toes and look at the clock.
getting her some heat and humidity, but failed to get her to eat much. couple tiny slurps.

damn, damn, damn. i never worry enough about these birds. when will i ever learn?
shit. 

Response to mopinko (Original post)
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:57 PM
 mopinko (39,404 posts)
1. update

well, she is sicker than sick. she is at the vets, and they are doing their best to do tests without stressing her too far. but it is not going well.
she is extremely anemic, and has a high white count, and high liver enzymes. doc says this sounds like metal poisoning. she does have a galvanized mesh panel in her cage, which she never hangs on or anything. other than that, i just don't know. she basically is not a chewer or a shredder. she is not that kind of bird.

but she is so ill right now that she is not even standing up. doc is frustrated, and so am i.
she is in good hands, tho, which is the only hope i have right now.
shit, shit, shit.

Response to mopinko (Original post)
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:56 AM
 mopinko (39,404 posts)
7. morning update

well, she did make it through the night. she seems to be a little stronger.
we are working on the operating theory that i am an idiot, and have allowed her to get zinc poisoning from a galvanized mesh at the back of her cage. i do wash it down with vinegar when i clean the cage, and have never seen the bird hang from, chew on, lick or otherwise do anything that suggests she could be ingesting the zinc from it, but, well, we don't call people bird brain for nothing.

anyway, she gets a couple more days at the vet, and i get to figure out what to do about this cage.

phew

Offline Karin

Re: Frank is right again...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »
figure out what to do about this cage.

Hmmm.  What to do, what to do.   :confused:   That's a conundrum, alright.  I got nothin.  Put the bird back in see if something different happens? 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
Quote from:
mopinko

we are working on the operating theory that i am an idiot,

The doctor would have done well to have started there.

[youtube=425,350]e6Lq771TVm4[/youtube]

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
The doctor would have done well to have started there.

[youtube=425,350]e6Lq771TVm4[/youtube]

In my opinion that's one of the funniest skits of all time.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe