Author Topic: Dennis the Menace wants to meet guys  (Read 292 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Dennis the Menace wants to meet guys
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/11145935

Oh my.

Denninmi (4,425 posts)    Sat Dec 15, 2012, 02:36 PM

Ok, guys, I need advice on this - how can I relate better to other men and develop friendships?

One thing I realized during my recent mental health crisis is that I really don't want to be socially awkward and isolated. Due to the upbringing I described in the other thread, I was never "one of the guys", never allowed to participate in sports or activities, not even allowed to just hang out with other kids. Never learned about cars, sports, outdoor activities like hunting or camping. Being gun-shy about male authority figures due to experiences with my father didn't help, I had no good male role model in my life. I was a great student, into early PCs, books, far too insecure in my self-esteem to date or even approach girls, all things that said "nerd, pick on me."

I've had a couple of pretty close friendships as an adult, started as work relationships and expanded to there to the point we would do things after work or on days off or weekends, and it was nice. But, those guys moved on, getting into relationships then married, and I didn't want to be a fifth wheel. I still keep in touch, but not all that often, and they are too busy to really have time to hang out.

So, thoughts? I would love to fit in and be "one of the guys".

Major Nikon (7,683 posts)    Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:07 PM

2. I think the best thing you can do is get out of the house

What you don't want to do is remain isolated. If you have spare time, fill it with what interests you. Persue a new or existing hobby by joining and participating in a relevant club. Volunteering is another excellent way to fill your time because you'll meet new people and get a sense of accomplishment. It may take time to develop close relationships with others, but there's value in just interacting with other people rather than just staying at home.

Warren DeMontague (42,076 posts)    Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:40 PM

4. Heh. I'm totally not your go-to guy on that.

I've always been sort of antisocial; I function perfectly fine in social settings, in fact my wife thinks I'm way better at it than she is... I just don't need it the way some people seem to, in fact, I can take it or leave it. We've got some aspergers type stuff in our family, I certainly showed some traits as a kid and I may still have some holdovers from it as an adult.

I did an awful lot of boozy party-type socializing as a young adult so I also feel like I 'got some of it out of my system'... and I'm blessed with a raucous, loud family so I'm rarely 'lonely'.

But I've noticed that folks of our age- 40ish- seem to cocoon more, keep to themselves. And yeah, when people are married, with kids, etc. it's even more so. We've got some friends we've made around here who make an extra-constant effort to do things and go out and be social. I'm fine with that, but again, I like it in small doses.

I'd suggest what MN said- join a club, similar interests, find out what sorts of community stuff there is in your area, volunteer, work at a library... as far as sports go, I look around and I see a lot of atheltically, um, challenged guys my own age. So I would think not having a history or any special aptitude would be an impediment IF that sort of thing is your speed. Or, join a bowling league, something like that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Dennis the Menace wants to meet guys
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
I'm sure DUmmy Dennis the Menace can meet up with lots of other DU guys if he just goes to the nearest interstate rest stop and hangs out in the men's restroom.

It won't take long for friendly guys to find him there.

Of course, even queers may tend to shy away when they learn Dennis is an officially, professionally diagnosed nut.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
Dennis the Menace,

The DUmp is the wrong place to go to learn how to have healthy friendships with men. There is no bigger bunch of social retards to be found in the known universe. All DUmp relationships are dysfunctional, since a DUmpmonkey is one of the involved parties.

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »
Denninmi (4,425 posts)    Sat Dec 15, 2012, 02:36 PM

Ok, guys, I need advice on this - how can I relate better to other men and develop friendships?

One thing I realized during my recent mental health crisis is that I really don't want to be socially awkward and isolated. Due to the upbringing I described in the other thread, I was never "one of the guys", never allowed to participate in sports or activities, not even allowed to just hang out with other kids. Never learned about cars, sports, outdoor activities like hunting or camping. Being gun-shy about male authority figures due to experiences with my father didn't help, I had no good male role model in my life. I was a great student, into early PCs, books, far too insecure in my self-esteem to date or even approach girls, all things that said "nerd, pick on me."

I've had a couple of pretty close friendships as an adult, started as work relationships and expanded to there to the point we would do things after work or on days off or weekends, and it was nice. But, those guys moved on, getting into relationships then married, and I didn't want to be a fifth wheel. I still keep in touch, but not all that often, and they are too busy to really have time to hang out.

So, thoughts? I would love to fit in and be "one of the guys".
Stop being a whiny *****?
Call me "Asshole" One more time!