Author Topic: primitive looking for portable healthy food  (Read 1261 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive looking for portable healthy food
« on: October 13, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1154749

Oh my.

I went to the fat forum to see if the Las Vegas Leviathan, as he promised he would two weeks ago, had posted anything about his "progress" in losing weight.

Nope, no Las Vegas Leviathan.

I'll check the physical fitness and exercise forum on Skins's island; maybe he's there.

Anyway.

Not Sure (362 posts)   Sun Oct 7, 2012, 09:21 PM

Looking for portable healthy food

I work for a railroad as a freight conductor, which means I'm spending 10-12 hours at a time sitting in a locomotive cab. I work on call, so these trains can run at any time of the day or night. Now, I will get off my butt and do physical activity when we stop the train, such as apply handbrakes, throw switches, etc. and in many cases I get one half to one mile of walking done during this time. But for the most part, I sit in the cab and monitor the train, rail traffic, etc.

I rarely drink sodas - usually just cold water or black hot tea, so I don't have to worry about those calories. Eating, not drinking, is my problem. I've tried getting Subway sandwiches with no mayo or munching on pistachios or eating fruit. I've made my own sandwiches, packed tins of tuna or chicken, even tried a salad once (bad idea - not good when it's not cold). What I really want is portable food that I don't have to keep cold, food that will fill me up, help me stay alert and not gain weight. If I eat the same thing every five days, that's fine with me. I can't do the same thing every day, but when I find favorites I don't have a problem sticking with them.

I'm just at a point where my food/caloric intake vs. exercise/caloric expenditure is unsustainable. And I have a long way to go toward retirement...

Any ideas?

In other words, the railway primitive's getting fat in his sit-down union job.

NYC_SKP (44,019 posts)   Sun Oct 7, 2012, 09:31 PM

1. Thank you for your service!

As to selections, I just started weightwatchers, with the pointsplus system.

It really favors proteins and most fruits and veggies.

Bring apples to work, and water, to keep you filled up.

I'll bet you have a microwave in the loco, see if you can bring a frozen chicken breast for lunch, 3 points while two mint milano cookies are 4 points-- I'll take the chicken.

Lessons: cookies and candies and nuts SUCK, avoid them, same with HEALTH BARS!

Go with smoked salmon treats and jerkey, stay with fluids and fruits and veggies and proteins.

Weight watchers costs money, a good alternative is myfitnesspal.com and others.

Good luck!

Not Sure (362 posts)   Sun Oct 7, 2012, 10:01 PM

2. Thanks!

Unfortunately, no microwave for us. Some railroads have them, but we don't get to use their locomotives very often.

Smoked salmon is a great idea. I love the stuff. I'm a fan of apples, too. Bananas tend to get mashed, so I avoid them. I rarely have anything more than a mini cooler with ice in it to keep anything fresh - definitely no freezer or refrigerator - so if it might spoil in a few hours, I just won't take it. It's not worth the risk of food poisoning.

Fortunately water, along with coffee and tea, is free for us. We get all we can carry, and carry we do. I'll go through 6 to 10 bottles of water in a trip.

Myfitnesspal looks pretty neat. I'll give it a whirl.

noamnety (17,985 posts)   Sun Oct 7, 2012, 10:08 PM

3. I like roasted chickpeas

My dollar store has chickpeas that are roasted so they are crunchy like a nut, with a chili-lime flavor. They're delicious, super cheap (actually a good value unlike some other dollar store items), high fiber and high protein, and low calorie.

Staying on the chickpea theme, you can also buy cans of hummus which would work well with pita bread for dipping. Or do a classic hummus and fresh spinach leaf sandwich on good quality bread.

Peanut butter sandwiches are a classic, though not as good for weight loss because you can do carbs and low fat, or low fat and carbs, but when you combine the fat and carbs the calories seem to convert to fat much quicker.

Vegetarian sushi rolls travel well, and you could have a side thing for soy sauce for dipping.

Tabouleh should travel okay.

Not Sure (362 posts)   Tue Oct 9, 2012, 02:54 AM

6. I've never tried chickpeas but I'm willing to check them out. I can tear up some peanut butter, and I've been known to take some with me on trips.

Vegetarian sushi rolls sounds really intriguing. I like sushi quite a bit. I should see if I can figure out how to make my own.

postulater (3,018 posts)   Sun Oct 7, 2012, 10:14 PM

4. Here's what I take for lunch nearly every day

An insulated lunch box with freezer packs that fit.

In it I have:
1 container in which I put a half cup of frozen blueberries and a cup of Dannon Plain Natural Yogurt.
1 container with chopped dark leaf lettuce, 4 ounces of either cold grilled chicken breast or nice Wisconsin cheese plus whatever other finger vegetables I have on hand (celery, peapods, cherry tomatoes, etc)

A baggie of roasted unsalted shelled sunflower seeds that I put on the salad.
A baggie of chopped walnuts (pecans are too expensive) that I put into the yogurt.

I work inside but the cooler packs keep things pretty frosty till lunch.

The variety in the salad and the fruit on the yogurt make it so I don't get tired of the same thing. Been doing this for a couple years. I don't miss the bread.

Not Sure (362 posts)   Tue Oct 9, 2012, 02:57 AM

7. I'm very hesitant to take either lettuce or yogurt because of the possibility of spoiling quickly. I don't know what it is with lettuce, but I've had severe upset stomach pains the last couple times I had lettuce on a sandwich or had a salad. Maybe it's something else, but it stopped when I stopped the lettuce.

Some of the other stuff you mention - celery, tomatos, nuts - will work quite well. I don't know why I haven't thought of carrots yet. I love them!

postulater (3,018 posts)   Wed Oct 10, 2012, 07:12 PM

9. Yes, I have to keep the yogurt cold.

I use a flat gel pack frozen overnight. Plus the blueberries are frozen. While I work indoors the berries and yogurt are still quite cold at lunch. Depends on how hot your environment is I spoze.

The lettuce? No idea. If it is not wilted it shouldn't be spoiled that fast. Maybe just bad bugs on it.

Lisa D (789 posts)   Mon Oct 8, 2012, 11:50 AM

5. Dry cereal in a ziploc bag is an option.

Make sure it's one that you like and that it has a decent amount of fiber and protein to fill you up. Frosted mini-wheats works for me  Add a piece of fruit with it, and that should work for a few meals.

Not Sure (362 posts)  Tue Oct 9, 2012, 03:00 AM

8. Now you're talking!

My wife says I eat like a kid, because I'm totally content to have a bowl of cereal while watching cartoons.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. It sure has helped me get out of a rut of eating the same old thing.

The railway primitive just needs to get another job, a job where he can burn off fat.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitive looking for portable healthy food
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Good God these people are helpless.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:59:44 PM »
Coach, you have to give him credit, though--at least he's attempting to get help on his own, and not wait for someone to drop it in his lap--does the Las Vegas Lardass ring a bell?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
Coach, you have to give him credit, though--at least he's attempting to get help on his own, and not wait for someone to drop it in his lap--does the Las Vegas Lardass ring a bell?

Agreed, I'm surprised that they haven't tried to declare tax-payer funded liposuction a human right yet. But this one does seem to be taking some personal responsibility and trying to improve his position.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
One primitive mentions an insulated lunch box with freezer packs in it. 

How about this?  Freeze a few bottles of water to use as your freezer packs in your lunch box.

You'll have something to keep your food cold, you'll have more water to drink,you won't be taking up space in your lunch box with freezer packs, and you don't have worry about having to refreeze the freezer packs.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »

How about this?  Freeze a few bottles of water to use as your freezer packs in your lunch box.

You'll have something to keep your food cold, you'll have more water to drink,you won't be taking up space in your lunch box with freezer packs, and you don't have worry about having to refreeze the freezer packs.

We do something similar for The Heiress' school lunches.  A juice box, fresh out of the freezer, goes into her lunchbox.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
Agreed, I'm surprised that they haven't tried to declare tax-payer funded liposuction a human right yet. But this one does seem to be taking some personal responsibility and trying to improve his position.
:-)

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
Tell ya what DUmbass, why doncha try joggin' those half miles or miles yer talkin' 'bout?

I call Bull Shit on the distances anyway, which is prolly the reason ya can't lose weight.

My grandfather worked as a Fireman for Missouri Pacific for 35 years. After they switched to diesel, he pretty much was a conductor or occasionally an engineer. Rarely did those guys walk anywhere. They moved the train to accommodate those on the ground.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
primitive looking for portable healthy food in The DUmpster

Frank, you outdid yourself on thread titles on this one.............love it! What ever yer lookin' fer, you'll find it in the last place you look........

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:19:21 PM by marv »
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:52 PM »
Hello Not Sure primitive,

DUmp Heloise here again.  Hope you and all yours are doing swell!

One handy snack you might want to try out on your next long trip, are cyanide capsules.  They are crunchy, easy to pack, and the rubberized coating they are encased in will make sure that you get that (relatively) long-chewing satisfaction, to help curb those hunger pangs.  

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:34:06 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
Hello Not Sure primitive,

DUmp Heloise here again.  Hope you and all yours are doing swell!

One handy snack you might want to try out on your next long trip, are cyanide capsules.  They are crunchy, easy to pack, and the rubberized coating they are encased in will make sure that you get that (relatively) long-chewing satisfaction, to help curb those hunger pangs. 

Heh! Come November ya might develop a new small business sellin' 'em to the DUmp. Just a thought.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Heh! Come November ya might develop a new small business sellin' 'em to the DUmp. Just a thought.

I'd be so excited about selling my product to the DUmp, I'd offer a free trial offer to each and every one of them that is interested.  :-)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 06:46:48 AM »
NYC_SKP (44,019 posts)   Sun Oct 7, 2012, 09:31 PM

1. Thank you for your service!
As to selections, I just started weightwatchers, with the pointsplus system.

It really favors proteins and most fruits and veggies.

Bring apples to work, and water, to keep you filled up.

I'll bet you have a microwave in the loco, see if you can bring a frozen chicken breast for lunch, 3 points while two mint milano cookies are 4 points-- I'll take the chicken.

Lessons: cookies and candies and nuts SUCK, avoid them, same with HEALTH BARS!

Go with smoked salmon treats and jerkey, stay with fluids and fruits and veggies and proteins.

Weight watchers costs money, a good alternative is myfitnesspal.com and others.

Good luck!

:???: You're thanking a train conductor for their service? Do you thank the 17 year old at the McDonalds drive thru for theirs? ****ing lunatics i swear!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 07:13:25 AM »

I've had success with this, but I found that the cap to the bottle must be loosened to allow the air to escape as the water freezes, otherwise the bottle tends to crack.

If I'm reusing a bottle, I only fill it 2/3, lay it at an angle in the freezer (with cap loose), then fill it the rest of the way before I take it with with me.  This works well on a bicycle ride.
This too shall pass.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
I've had success with this, but I found that the cap to the bottle must be loosened to allow the air to escape as the water freezes, otherwise the bottle tends to crack.

If I'm reusing a bottle, I only fill it 2/3, lay it at an angle in the freezer (with cap loose), then fill it the rest of the way before I take it with with me.  This works well on a bicycle ride.

Yeah, that's what "Toots" does. Me, I have a 12 volt cooler I keep in the truck.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
I thought portable healthy food was bacon on a paper plate.  O-)
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
I thought portable healthy food was bacon on a paper plate.  O-)

Or this . . .

Chase her.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »
:???: You're thanking a train conductor for their service? Do you thank the 17 year old at the McDonalds drive thru for theirs? ****ing lunatics i swear!

I took that as a subtle dig at the military. One sees people thanking servicemen, and DUmmies can't cope with the military being singled out...

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
I took that as a subtle dig at the military. One sees people thanking servicemen, and DUmmies can't cope with the military being singled out...

They never want to disrespect 'em while I'm around. I haven't knocked the piss outa anybody for a few years, but I live in Idaho. We don't have that problem here.

Well, I take that back. I did have a guy who skipped his bond that I had to pull out the wing window of his Toyota, but that was actually work related. What was cool was I drove him to jail in his own car!

The biggest reason I don't cross the Kalifornication state line is I would more than likely be visitin' the horizontal bar motel before I left!

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »
They never want to disrespect 'em while I'm around. I haven't knocked the piss outa anybody for a few years, but I live in Idaho. We don't have that problem here.

Well, I take that back. I did have a guy who skipped his bond that I had to pull out the wing window of his Toyota, but that was actually work related. What was cool was I drove him to jail in his own car!

H5 for the visual.  :rofl:

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
H5 for the visual.  :rofl:

Happy to oblige!

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »

I don't suppose one ever gets that problem with civilised and decent people...

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
I simply don't believe this! I mean I do, but for crap sakes, I can think of dozens and dozens of things off the top of my head! Oh, and to the ****ing idiot who said nuts suck...they're absolutely one of the healthiest snacks you can have. Every single diet/fitness/nutrition guru from Dr. Oz to Jillian Michaels to Mark Sisson recommend nuts in your diet (not peanuts...peanuts are a legume). A small handful (10 or so) of nuts like almonds or macadamias...the bacon of nuts...provide your body with healthy fats that actually promote weight loss. Of course, you can't sit and down a whole can...

But why not just exercise before/during/after work? A few push ups, lunges, crunches and dumbbell work in the morning. Good freaking Lord, you can do bicep curls while you're sitting on the toilet. A quick 5-10 minute walk during lunch. An exercise video in the evening...Tony Horton makes a great 10 minute trainer series. Most of Jillian Michael's (a few are actually pretty intense) you can buy for $10 or less at Walmart. And you DUmmies DO shop there. I see your cars in the parking lot. Or better yet...CrossFit. Workouts are free, on the web daily and you can modify them to fit your fitness level. Don't think I've ever spent more than 15-20 minutes on the Workout of the Day...ever.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
I simply don't believe this! I mean I do, but for crap sakes, I can think of dozens and dozens of things off the top of my head! Oh, and to the ****ing idiot who said nuts suck...they're absolutely one of the healthiest snacks you can have. Every single diet/fitness/nutrition guru from Dr. Oz to Jillian Michaels to Mark Sisson recommend nuts in your diet (not peanuts...peanuts are a legume). A small handful (10 or so) of nuts like almonds or macadamias...the bacon of nuts...provide your body with healthy fats that actually promote weight loss. Of course, you can't sit and down a whole can...

Cindie

I agree 100% Cin! Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Yeah, my minds 9in the gutter! "Toots" has been gone for a coupla weeks now.