Author Topic: And don't forget to tip your waitstaff  (Read 3315 times)

Offline JLO

Re: And don't forget to tip your waitstaff
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
I always tip around 20 percent unless the "server" is a complete ass and then I just ask for the manager. Of course I tend to go to the same 4 or 5 places so I get pretty well known as a decent tipper and usually get good service. I do make allowances if the place is busy and having worked in the business I can usually tell if they are short handed.

Years ago one time I even tipped a kid that slipped/tripped and dumped my prime rib in my lap. I thought the poor kid was gonna cry. I gave him 25 percent. I was nice about the whole thing because it wasn't his fault (organic waste matter happens sometimes) and I got one VERY large replacement prime rib. Poor kid was there when my drink got less than 3/4 full. From that day forward I always got great service and large prime rib right up until the owner died and the place closed.

I always try to treat people the way I want to be treated and it usually works.

Yup, I agree. 

What a great laugh-out-loud prime rib story picture you posted  :lmao: :tongue:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 06:35:47 AM »
I always tip 20 and if the service has been great 30 to 40. Once this server was just amazing she was given a 50 tip I think she was going to cry but after being a server myself I could tell she was having a rough day she needed it
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 07:46:53 AM »
Hubby and I are easy to wait on, we always say please and thank you, and I tip minimum 20%. The only thing I need to take issue with though are the DU comments that say "if you don't have enough for the tip than don't go out to eat", I'm taking issue with that because if people actually took that advice how many businesses would go out of business? how many people would lose their jobs?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 08:04:53 AM »
I typically leave a 20% tip. However, that's all based on service, the food temp, etc. I don't usually ding the waitstaff for the quality of the food because they're not the cook. If I get a terrible waiter/ waitress, then I tip accordingly. I had one waitress leave our food sitting in the window for 15 mins (I timed it). When the food arrived, it was cold. Needless to say not only did she not get much of a tip, but also a complaint to the manager. There are times when the waitstaff can be too "aggressive" by coming by too often. Keep my drink filled, address any problems and let me enjoy our meal. It's really pretty simple.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 08:18:02 AM »
It still makes me giggle that Pitt is a bouncer.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:13 AM »
My minimum tip is 20%.  You have to really hose up to get less than that.  But, I will pay more, if the service warrants it. 

Seems everyone who has posted on this thread starts at 20% as well.  Wonder where all those low-tip people are????  Perhaps on DU?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
My minimum tip is 20%.  You have to really hose up to get less than that.  But, I will pay more, if the service warrants it. 

Seems everyone who has posted on this thread starts at 20% as well.  Wonder where all those low-tip people are????  Perhaps on DU?

You know, I can't imagine anybody on this site not giving a well-deserved tip.  I, like most people here, have had friends and family that worked as servers, so I respect that it is a difficult job, and the idea of not giving a tip just seems ridiculous, unless there is some sort of really ridiculous issue. 

I start around 20% as well, and I get so embarrassed if I'm out with a group and somebody doesn't want to tip decently.  I've been known to toss a few extra dollars down just so that the server doesn't get shorted. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »

Free booze!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »
You know, I can't imagine anybody on this site not giving a well-deserved tip.  I, like most people here, have had friends and family that worked as servers, so I respect that it is a difficult job, and the idea of not giving a tip just seems ridiculous, unless there is some sort of really ridiculous issue. 

I start around 20% as well, and I get so embarrassed if I'm out with a group and somebody doesn't want to tip decently.  I've been known to toss a few extra dollars down just so that the server doesn't get shorted.  

I do the same thing.   :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »
20% tops.  I'm going there to eat, not demonstrate my indifference to the price of the food or hand out silver rings like a Saxon king.  But even if the service is weak, I'll leave a buck at least.  They have to go out of their way being bad to get completely stiffed.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56:10 AM »
That's because the liberals there want low prices on their foods bought at farmer's markets and they don't want the illegal aliens making enough to actually live in the state.

Oh, they live there alright--and get more in "gimmes" than I thought humanly possible.  In MA they give up to $700 a WEEK in unemployment.  Why the hell would I go to work if I could pull that kind of bank for sitting on my ass?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »

Same here--but then again, they're the same people who wonder why large groups of 6-8 or more have the gratuity automatically tacked on.  Happy Hour beers at my local watering hole are $2.25, and I'll give them the $3.  Regular price is $3.50, and I give them the buck, sometimes the $1.50.  I don't remember the last time I tipped less than 20 percent in a restaurant.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »

No kidding!  Is his bouncing method to take problem customers, talk them into a stupor, and then they throw themselves out?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
No kidding!  Is his bouncing method to take problem customers, talk them into a stupor, and then they throw themselves out?

Maybe it takes him 24 business hours to kick them out? Maybe he makes them read one of his "works"? I'd be out like a shot.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »
Wait a second now. I just thought of something... isn't the PittStain a trust fund kid? Why is he working? Did he get cut off?

Yeah, that's what's confusing about the Bostonian Drunkard's situation.

There was a primitive, now banished from Skins's island, who researched the Bostonian Drunkard, finding that the Bostonian Drunkard's maternal grandfather, an attorney in Boston with lots and lots of prime real-estate, had left a rather, uh, substantial trust fund for his grandson.

However, unsure about the noble qualities, if any, of the Bostonian Drunkard, grand-dad put some conditions on that trust.  The conditions weren't uncovered, but usually if one is worried an heir might wastefully dissipate funds, one attaches conditions such as no payment until the heir is well into adulthood, or the heir gets married, things like that.

Well, the Bostonian Drunkard is at the moment a razor's edge from 40 years of age, and of course got married last year.

Apparently generous grand-dad imposed conditions even more onerous than that.

Perhaps the Bostonian Drunkard has to wait until his maternal ancestress dies, to get the money.

In which case one sincerely wishes the 64-year-old "Raven" primitive many, many, many more decades of life.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »
Same here--but then again, they're the same people who wonder why large groups of 6-8 or more have the gratuity automatically tacked on.  Happy Hour beers at my local watering hole are $2.25, and I'll give them the $3.  Regular price is $3.50, and I give them the buck, sometimes the $1.50.  I don't remember the last time I tipped less than 20 percent in a restaurant.

Wow! That's expensive beer. My local watering hole in the wall charges $1.75 all the time and that's for Michelob. (no imports). I usually give them the quarter and for every 4 beers I give them another dollar. They even give me the remote to the TV.  :beer:

Yeah, that's what's confusing about the Bostonian Drunkard's situation.

There was a primitive, now banished from Skins's island, who researched the Bostonian Drunkard, finding that the Bostonian Drunkard's maternal grandfather, an attorney in Boston with lots and lots of prime real-estate, had left a rather, uh, substantial trust fund for his grandson.

However, unsure about the noble qualities, if any, of the Bostonian Drunkard, grand-dad put some conditions on that trust.  The conditions weren't uncovered, but usually if one is worried an heir might wastefully dissipate funds, one attaches conditions such as no payment until the heir is well into adulthood, or the heir gets married, things like that.

Well, the Bostonian Drunkard is at the moment a razor's edge from 40 years of age, and of course got married last year.

Apparently generous grand-dad imposed conditions even more onerous than that.

Perhaps the Bostonian Drunkard has to wait until his maternal ancestress dies, to get the money.

In which case one sincerely wishes the 64-year-old "Raven" primitive many, many, many more decades of life.

Wish I had a granddad like that. My granddad told me none of the grand kids was getting any of his money. They had better damn well earn it like he did or they could starve. When I graduated college he did give me a jug of his best moonshine and told me to go out and get drunk... and then get a better job than the one I had. That was potent moonshine too. We was all hung over for 3 days.

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi