Author Topic: ***ANNOUNCEMENT FROM franksolich*** update 01-19  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Karin

Re: ***ANNOUNCEMENT FROM franksolich*** update 01-19
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 10:50:47 AM »
Maybe I'm just dense, but how can you "lock down" an internet forum?  I guess I don't understand much of this thread. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »
Maybe I'm just dense, but how can you "lock down" an internet forum?  I guess I don't understand much of this thread. 

Comments have to be reviewed by mods before they are seen?  I dunno, but some blogs moderate their comment sections in that way.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
You could also refuse any new user-account applications made that day, and even temporarily lock out some users based on some criterion, such as having a new account and not enough posts yet to make you a known quantity.  For a site like DU, there is probably at least a little common-sense (about the most they'll ever have) in making it harder for posers and trolls to try and eff up their forum on a day like today.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Expect the "crash" where the site won`t load and then will be excused as a computer glitch a day later...so sorry DUmmys.
It is the usual action they take in explosive times lately.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Expect the "crash" where the site won`t load and then will be excused as a computer glitch a day later...so sorry DUmmys.
It is the usual action they take in explosive times lately.

Well, any site that gets too many hits too fast will go down, even if all of the hits are from legitimate users.  If every legitimate DU primitive starts trying to read every article at once, and if they are continually hitting the refresh button to get updates on the "Live" election threads, then they'll be generating a heck of a lot of traffic to the servers which could very well overwhelm them, even if their management don't try to pull the "server's down" trick as a means of curbing the enthusiasm.

Then again, they might also get hacked today. ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:24:28 AM by Oceander »

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Well, any site that gets too many hits too fast will go down, even if all of the hits are from legitimate users.  If every legitimate DU primitive starts trying to read every article at once, and if they are continually hitting the refresh button to get updates on the "Live" election threads, then they'll be generating a heck of a lot of traffic to the servers which could very well overwhelm them, even if their management don't try to pull the "server's down" trick as a means of curbing the enthusiasm.

Then again, they might also get hacked today. ;)

Almost on cue,this site has slowed to an absolute dial up paced crawl for me right now.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
Almost on cue,this site has slowed to an absolute dial up paced crawl for me right now.

It was pretty slow for me, too, until just a few minutes ago.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »

By "lock-down," I mean that only members are allowed to view Skins's island.

All web-sites have that capability; we use it here to a limited (very limited) extent, in that only logged-on members can see certain forums, and more so, that only members who are logged on and have more than 50 posts, can see other certain forums.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »
^yeah that. essentially Skins will limit the bonfires to the fire starters and ember kickers. The lookey-loos won't be able to see anything.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Oceander

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »

Yup, same here.  At one point it simply stopped loading for me.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
Yup, same here.  At one point it simply stopped loading for me.

Me too.  Seems to be fine now though.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
Me too.  Seems to be fine now though.

One sign is when the primitive avatars and signature lines no longer show up.

That means the elusive enigmatic elad is taking down the bells-and-whistles; this is usually done during unusually-high traffic, so as to save bandwidth, and it's also a prelude to a lock-down.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »
One sign is when the primitive avatars and signature lines no longer show up.

That means the elusive enigmatic elad is taking down the bells-and-whistles; this is usually done during unusually-high traffic, so as to save bandwidth, and it's also a prelude to a lock-down.

Oh....I was referring to this one.  It was slower than molasses earlier.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
Oh....I was referring to this one.  It was slower than molasses earlier.

That happens sporadically here.

The machine that runs conservativecave is stored at some place in Florida, and the place that stores it also maintains it.  They're supposed to do their maintenance work during the middle of the night, when there's hardly anyone around, but sometimes they end up doing it during the day too.....and when they're doing that, it slows down the site.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »
That happens sporadically here.

The machine that runs conservativecave is stored at some place in Florida, and the place that stores it also maintains it.  They're supposed to do their maintenance work during the middle of the night, when there's hardly anyone around, but sometimes they end up doing it during the day too.....and when they're doing that, it slows down the site.

So how much cash do we have to raise in order to support our own server?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
We're working on switching hosting companies.

I watched the server last night during the election... our CPU load never got above 50%, the memory usage is even lower.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.