Author Topic: gigantic primitive updates; quotes franksolich (updated 06-29)  (Read 8452 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=337x4358

Oh oh my.

franksolich has a third reader among the primitives.

Pedro Picasso, the sparkling husband primitive, and now the gigantic primitive.

No other primitives are even aware franksolich exists, but three's at least something.

Systematic Chaos  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jun-21-09 11:43 PM
Original message

Time for another update (long overdue as always -- sorry!)

I think I'm starting to master the concept of "turning lemons into lemonade", for lack of a better cliche. Considering my current situation, I think I'm doing much better than I would have thought possible before events went down as they did.

As I think I've mentioned, Jeanette lost her job (thanks, Verizon, you bunch of useless pricks!) a couple months ago. The call center company she (and I as well until 18 months ago) worked for already paid pitifully low wages for the stress involved in the job.

Not only that, but because she didn't work for Verizon directly, she didn't even qualify for any of the company's discounts on phones or service. Nonetheless, she had their service until her termination, but is no longer paying them one red dime.

And this leads me to COBRA. How so very nice that the costs of COBRA have been slashed to 1/3 what they used to be, considering that it's still ****ing impossible to afford over $300 per month for the insurance, plus the doctor co-pays, plus the prescription co-pays, and still have enough to cover our other expenses!

So, when one is in very bad shape health-wise and has been (foolishly) depending on a seriously flawed medical system which has produced next to nothing in the way of results and which is now priced firmly out of reach, one is then faced with a decision.

That decision is: Do I continue to consume a Standard American Diet (SAD) after having lost all my medications, knowing that even with major restrictions and constant feelings of hunger I'm not even losing any weight? Or, do I put my foot firmly down and make a 100% commitment to what I know has worked for me before (veganism), only this time without most of the vegan junk food indulgences I used to regularly enjoy when I would lose weight previously?

Because let's face it -- at my present weight (still in the 480s) my body simply can't handle the stresses of excess dietary fat and protein. I'm not exactly interested in dying right about now, so my answer has been to get back to the principles of The McDougall Plan and follow them just about perfectly.

In the past couple of weeks only a few minor exceptions have occurred, and those only to clear the pantry of non-compliant foods so they may be replaced with good, healthy starches and vegetables.

The vegan cookies and chips and stuff like that are being avoided, as are nuts and seeds (with the exception of some flax seed-laden cereal for good regularity, served with some low-fat soy milk). Potatoes and brown rice are back in in spades, as they should be, along with vegetables and salads. Other than a salad dressing I make and use occasionally which uses fresh blue cheese and balsamic vinegar (which I'll be stopping once the last of the blue cheese is gone) I am having NO dairy.

The result of this, so far, is that my fasting blood sugar is staying in the mid-100s in the absence of medication rather than rocketing off the chart. I have no way to measure my blood pressure, and I imagine it's elevated, but I'm NOT retaining water and my energy level (though still low) has been increasing rapidly.

I don't feel the need to just about live in bed like I did before. And best of all, the persistent wounds on my legs and feet which no expert has been able to properly heal are a hell of a lot less painful and are just starting to look... better every time we unbandage and clean my legs. Awesome!

My only really bad news is that while my left shoulder has stopped hurting as much as it used to, the range of motion in both arms is down to next to nothing despite my best efforts to try and improve them, and the right shoulder and elbow are now as big a source of pain as the left side was 6 months ago.

When I sit down to type in a long post like this, I am forced to take constant rest breaks to avoid numbness in my arms and hands. I'm just glad I can do this at all at this point.

But no matter what, I'll continue to find a way. I'll be out of pain medication soon also, so I'm decreasing the doses and learning to "grin and bear it" and just stay in my safe range of motion.

Jeanette is very understanding with having to help me pick things up and whatnot, thank goodness, or I'd be pretty bad off.

I think it's pretty funny that the kick in the ass I really needed would come from becoming one of our nation's rising tide of uninsured people. Yes, I'm collecting disability, but I'm ineligible for Medicare for another year and Medicaid turned me down.

Cool, because I really don't want any more of doctors and their shit anyway, unless I hit the deck and someone has to call 9-1-1, and I ain't letting that happen.

My weight is dropping already, and I expect to be below 480 (and back on the road to real progress!) no later than July 10. Anyone who is interested may read my journal at the site I linked above. Just go into the Forums from the top tab, then click Journal and look for Ege Bamyasi. That's my user name over there. I'll likely be doing most of my posting over there because (no offense) the community there is much larger than this one has been of late.

And as an aside, there are positively no anti-obesity screeds over there like there have been on DU, like the one that almost caused me to leave for good. Of course, this is all subject to change as one can never tell if this board will see a surge in traffic. I really hope it does.

As always, thanks in advance for your support and thank you for taking the time to keep tabs on me. I hope all of you are doing well and finding yourselves in excellent health!

Yeah, franksolich thinks a vegan diet would do the gigantic primitive a lot of good.

However, franksolich doesn't suggest the gigantic primitive should omit milk from his diet; milk after all is the perfect food, only sordid malcontents and sleazy miscreants not liking it.

And that is whole 100% milk, not milk-and-water.

At least two-thirds of a gallon of it each day, preferably more if the gigantic primitive can afford it.

Good luck from franksolich.

petersond   (1000+ posts)        Mon Jun-22-09 02:42 AM
Response to Original message

1. Well, here is the usual

Stay strong, and do your best line.... 

As for a diet, I have no suggestions, if you think the Vegan way, is the right way, go for it. All of us our different, and all of us burn/use calories in different ways, you just have to find what works for "you."

I don't know what meds you are on, but you are diabetic, and usually you can control diabetes to a certain extent with the type of foods that you consume. With my FIL he can control his diabetes with his food intake, and be med free, but my MIL is way past that and is on shots for her diabetes.

My only suggestion for blood pressure, is if you can afford it, or find one, get a blood pressure gauge/tester. I have no idea what the cost of those are, but I know my FIL has them for his high blood pressure and he tests himself at least once a day.

I'm sorry about the pain/loss of motion in your arms (and that your pain meds are pretty thin), but do what you can.

With your legs, I'm not sure if they will ever heal, you are diabetic, and my fil/mil both are, and when my MIL gets a bruise, or cut on her legs, they don't heal...usually, they heal enough to stop blood loss, but not much more than that. I hope that you can find/see a good doctor, when your medical insurance/medicare stuff kicks in, and that you start feeling better.

Just stay strong, and keep on keeping on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:43:48 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Re: gigantic primitive updates; quotes franksolich
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:54:47 PM »
I have absolutely no idea how someone loses weight or maintains proper blood sugar levels with such a starchy diet. I'd think diabetes would be a huge problem for someone whose so large. Potatoes have a glycemic index of 90 (this figure varies depending on the lab doing the testing but never falls below about 60)...straight table sugar has an index of 100 and it has the advantage of being made up of glucose and fructose which are each processed differently by the body. Potatoes digest so quickly it practically goes right to the bloodstream. It's almost better to put butter, sour cream, etc. on your potatoes because it slows down digestion.

Oh, and I think eggs are the perfect food, frank. They are nature's most perfect protein. An omelet a day keeps the doctor away.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:56:13 PM »
Did he say he was already losing weight and expects to be below by July 10?? Wasn't he already around 480??

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
Did he say he was already losing weight and expects to be below by July 10?? Wasn't he already around 480??

Over the past few years, the gigantic primitive has bounced up and down.

When he first went ashore on Skins's island he was circa 350 pounds.

If memory serves me correctly, he got way up to circa 510 pounds.

He's been at cidrca 480 pounds for quite some time now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »
I couldn't read past the statement that this individual weighs a QUARTER OF A TON!!

Damn........that's big........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »
Oh, and I think eggs are the perfect food, frank. They are nature's most perfect protein. An omelet a day keeps the doctor away.

Oh, madam, I agree eggs are good.  Eggs are great.

During the winter (but not the summer, because it's too hot to consume anything but fruits and vegetables), I can put down four eggs in a day.  Eggs are great.

The only thing that keeps eggs from being perfect is that egg-whites come with them.

But milk advertises itself as "nature's perfect food," and they wouldn't be getting away with it--especially because of the anti-milk faddists--if it weren't so.
apres moi, le deluge

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »

During the winter (but not the summer, because it's too hot to consume anything but fruits and vegetables), I can put down four eggs in a day.  Eggs are great.

HOT?? asks the Texan

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
I love cold boiled eggs on a hot day.  Then again where I live hot means like 85f.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 02:57:46 PM »
I'm with you on the egg whites, Frank.  Bleeeeeehh.   Remember during the low fat craze people were eating egg white omelets?  I would rather eat a bug. 

Scramble everything up, though and it's all good. 

Offline vlad335

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 03:20:36 PM »
As I think I've mentioned, Jeanette lost her job (thanks, Verizon, you bunch of useless pricks!) a couple months ago. The call center company she (and I as well until 18 months ago) worked for already paid pitifully low wages for the stress involved in the job.

Classic liberal thinking. Stress levels have nothing to do with how much you are paid. Absolutely nothing! It's the skill set that the job requires not how stressful you perceive it to be. I am an RN working in the ICU and by the same reasoning I should be making triple my wage but I don't and will not unless I increase marketable skill.

Every lefty I have ever worked with on a job has the exact mindset. It's all about them.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »
Quote from: Frank
milk after all is the perfect food, only sordid malcontents and sleazy miscreants not liking it.

This leaves me wondering.  Which one am I?  If I get to pick, I'll go with "sordid malcontent". 

"Sleazy malcontent" just sounds so...so...sleazy.   

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »

The only thing that keeps eggs from being perfect is that egg-whites come with them.

But milk advertises itself as "nature's perfect food," and they wouldn't be getting away with it--especially because of the anti-milk faddists--if it weren't so.

Me and "Toots" eat two dozen home grown eggs a week! I love the things! Have even figured out how to hard boil them and get them to peel.

The only prob with milk nowadays Frank is the increase of lactose intollerance. Mark Levin comes to mind. The guy loves McD's and hassles them if they put cheese on his burgers. lol!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Me and "Toots" eat two dozen home grown eggs a week! I love the things! Have even figured out how to hard boil them and get them to peel.

The only prob with milk nowadays Frank is the increase of lactose intollerance. Mark Levin comes to mind. The guy loves McD's and hassles them if they put cheese on his burgers. lol!

I was born allergic to cow's milk.  I outgrew it, thankfully, because I love dairy products per se.  It's ashame a glass of milk will make me gag, even if I only smell it. 

Eggs are just about my favorite edible ever.  In fact, we are going out for a "breakfast supper" when my wife gets home. 

"Two over medium with HBs, sausage, and wheat toast!"

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »
I was born allergic to cow's milk.  I outgrew it, thankfully, because I love dairy products per se.  It's ashame a glass of milk will make me gag, even if I only smell it. 

Eggs are just about my favorite edible ever.  In fact, we are going out for a "breakfast supper" when my wife gets home. 

"Two over medium with HBs, sausage, and wheat toast!"

IHOP! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »
IHOP! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

"You can get anything you want, at ALICE'S RESTAURANT...Walk right in, park around the back, just a half a mile from the railroad track... You can get anything you want, at ALICE'S RESTAURANT."

IHOP is good; greasy-spoon truck stop restaurants are better.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
If eat is murder.... eggs are abortions?

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »
"You can get anything you want, at ALICE'S RESTAURANT...Walk right in, park around the back, just a half a mile from the railroad track... You can get anything you want, at ALICE'S RESTAURANT."

IHOP is good; greasy-spoon truck stop restaurants are better.

Oooooohhh! I agree! I know one in Denver where you can get mountain oysters all year!!!!!

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
eggs = great - Over fathers day the wife and kids made me brunch - eggs over easy, home made blueberry pancakes and (because the oldest daughter wanted to try it for the first time) SPAM, washed down with milk.

It was a good fathers day ;)

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 01:12:47 AM »
If eat is murder.... eggs are abortions?

One of the places I sell my eggs to is one of those organic moonbat mom & pop health food stores. The lady is sweet but absolutely loony toons left. Obviously that makes her pro choice. So I tease her that I have her weekly order of chicken abortions from my happy hens...because they have the right to choose. And she's absolutely serious when she says, "Well they should!" Mind you, we're talking about chickens here. Broodiness is an instinct, not a "choice". Too bad it wasn't that way with humans.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »
One of the places I sell my eggs to is one of those organic moonbat mom & pop health food stores. The lady is sweet but absolutely loony toons left. Obviously that makes her pro choice. So I tease her that I have her weekly order of chicken abortions from my happy hens...because they have the right to choose. And she's absolutely serious when she says, "Well they should!" Mind you, we're talking about chickens here. Broodiness is an instinct, not a "choice". Too bad it wasn't that way with humans.

Cindie

Oh lord. Chickens have a choice too?

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
Oh lord. Chickens have a choice too?
Yes!.......They can either be deep fried or grilled! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »
I'm with you on the egg whites, Frank.  Bleeeeeehh.   Remember during the low fat craze people were eating egg white omelets?  I would rather eat a bug. 

Scramble everything up, though and it's all good. 

Precisely and I by egg beaters or some other variation for just that reason normally to avoid some of the fat. As long as it's all scrambled together though, I'm good. Omelettes...mmmmm...with the yolk of course and a bevvy of veggies and a touch of meat..yummy!

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
Yes!.......They can either be deep fried or grilled! :-)

Don't forget roasted ! Stuff the cavity with onions, apples, and other aromatic fruits and veggies, garlic powder and butter rubbed all over the skin, so when its done its crispy like bacon --  Mmmmmmmmm

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »
Sounds like the gigantic primative has made a discovery.

He might not be as bad off as he thought.

By making some effort on his own, he is getting better.

He feels better, has more energy and his wounds are healing. All without the need for a doctor!

Just a few weeks ago he needed the strongest pain meds on earth, today he just needs a little flax oil so he can continue to shit.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
Just a few weeks ago he needed the strongest pain meds on earth, today he just needs a little flax oil so he can continue to shit.

That however continues to perplex me.

How does he wipe?

Or perhaps as many do in the socialist paradises of the workers and peasants with free medical care for all, he doesn't even bother?
apres moi, le deluge