Author Topic: Emergency Lights  (Read 12304 times)

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
Emergency Lights
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
If you don't have a generator, you need some source of light during a power outage. I have looked at and purchased many items only to have found they did NOT do the job.

Below are my reviews of light sources that have met and many cases exceeded my expectations.

Maxxima MLS-01 Occupancy Sensor LED Light  
Auto On Motion Sensor   20 ft.+ Motion Range  Uses 4 AA batteries

This is an LED motion sensor light (I have three) it is great for middle of the night illumination when someone needs to get to the bathroom. Because it is "Motion Sensor", it only lights when someone moves in front of the light and stays on for only 30 seconds or while motion is detected.  

Rayovac SE3DLNCOM Sportsman LED Lantern  
4-watt LEDs last 100,000 hours and never need replacing
240 lumens with three modes; high, low, and strobe
Easy find green LED light blinks every 5 seconds when lantern is off
Runs on three D batteries (not included); run time 72 hours (high mode) and 150 hours (low mode)
Backed by a full lifetime warranty

This is an unbelieveable light source. It is very bright and the batteries last very long. My power was out two days this year and two days last year and still has plenty of battery life left. (my wife was worried about the dog in the dark while we slept so I put it on "LOW" for the entire night)

Durofix RL435 Li-Ion 4V Plug-in Power Outage LED Light, 2-Pack  
Turns on immediately during power failure
Convenient plug-in design without an additional adapter
Slender profile uses 24 LEDs
Has a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Up to 8-10 hours of maximum continuous working time

These are GREAT power failure lights. They stay pluged-in till a power failure occurs then they light. I have one downstairs near the steps and one on the 2nd floor. Most of the house is lighted by just these two. They are VERY bright.

Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen High Flux LED Cyber Light Flashlight with Batteries    
Super Bright High Flux Led Providing 180 Lumens of Light Output
Durable Plastic & Rubber Construction - Withstands 8ft. Drop Test
True Spot Reflector - Providing 1,000 ft. Beam of Light
5 Hour Run Time
Includes 4 AA Cell Batteries

I still can't believe the brightness of this powerful flashlight and it uses just four AA batteries. .

Wagan Power Dome EX 400-Watt Jump Starter with Built-In Air Compressor    
600 cranking amp auto jump starter
260 PSI high power motor air compressor
400 watt AC power inverter, high intensity LED light
Built-in AM/FM radio with iPodâ„¢ input
2 AC Outlets and 1 DC outlets

I used this to keep my cell phones charged and used it to power my FIOS and cordless phones for a time and it still had a full charge at the end of three days.

I like and depend on this equipment for power outages. I stay away from candles for obvious reasons.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:08:47 PM by J P Sousa »
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Emergency Lights
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
Great post!  Thanks for the advice. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Dori

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
Yeah, thanks for those...I am going to check them out at Amazon.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »
I agree. Thank you.
I think I have the same Rayovac lantern.  May not be the same exact one, but similar. I've had it for 4-5 years and it is still going strong. I've never had to use it in an emergency, but I use it every time I grill after dark.  I think I'll get another one.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
I have motion sensor nightlights in the bathroom and kitchen and I love them.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:34:45 AM »
We have a Die Hard Jump starter, with compressor, built-in light , 2 AC outlets, 2 cigarette lighter type outlets, and 2 usb ports.  It comes in handy for a lot of things.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »
We have a generator,  but also purchased several special lanterns at Home Depot for Autism Speaks Light it up Blue day (April 1st).    They are amazing lanterns - very bright light (white or blue settings, which is a nice color blue - soothing, not glaring).   The batteries lasted a year.    Highly recommend (they sell them every year in March).

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
Generators are great but if there is no gas they don't do much.  My sister lives in NJ and there isn't grid power for almost 100 miles of her.  I delivered A LOT of gas (I live in CT) yesterday to her and some friends of hers.  I passed the one gas station in her area that had both a generator and gas left. There were over 100 cars in line and easily another 50-75 people with 2.5 or 5 gallon jugs to fill.  Just saying make sure you have a fuel plan.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »
Generators are great but if there is no gas they don't do much.  My sister lives in NJ and there isn't grid power for almost 100 miles of her.  I delivered A LOT of gas (I live in CT) yesterday to her and some friends of hers.  I passed the one gas station in her area that had both a generator and gas left. There were over 100 cars in line and easily another 50-75 people with 2.5 or 5 gallon jugs to fill.  Just saying make sure you have a fuel plan.

I'm having a generator installed Tuesday. 8 KW propane operated and I'm getting two propane tanks (100 gallons each) installed as well.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne