Author Topic: Treadmills  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Gratiot

Treadmills
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:14 PM »
Does anyone here have a treadmill?  I'm curious on what you have and how do you like it? 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Treadmills
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
My parents have one.  It's become a way to fill another empty room in their house.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
We have a Sole S73. Bought it in Feb. 2010 after doing a good amount of research. We have more than 230 hours on it and close to 800 miles total. VERY happy with this machine.

Both our dogs and Mrs E work out every day on this treadmill.

As in all treadmills, it takes some maintenance. You have to loosen the rubber mat big enough to get up underneath it and smear an entire tube of silicone gel on the surface underneath every 180 hours of use. The instructions walk you right through it, so it's no problem. The silicone gel costs about $20 per tube or so.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »
My parents have one.  It's become a way to fill another empty room in their house.

I actually really enjoy jogging on a treadmill.  Especially, with being able to force myself to maintain the same pace, or zone heart rate training.  Things I'm incapable of, while jogging outside.

I've recently changed work locations and my current gym is now far out of my way, actually $20 in fuel out of the way ::)
Time to change, I'm hoping to just cancel it all together.

We have a Sole S73. Bought it in Feb. 2010 after doing a good amount of research. We have more than 230 hours on it and close to 800 miles total. VERY happy with this machine.

Both our dogs and Mrs E work out every day on this treadmill.

As in all treadmills, it takes some maintenance. You have to loosen the rubber mat big enough to get up underneath it and smear an entire tube of silicone gel on the surface underneath every 180 hours of use. The instructions walk you right through it, so it's no problem. The silicone gel costs about $20 per tube or so.

That's great to hear!  I've been looking at a few Sole models as well!  I'm also amazed at how some of the Sole and Smooth treadmills have such nicer displays than the mid-range True, Precor, and Life Fitness models. 

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
I have used a lot throughout the years at various gyms. The Cybex ones are the best, IMO.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »
My daughter had one from Sears and it became a handy clothes hanger and all around storage shelf.  It never really worked right and you had to keep taking off the rollers and adjusting them.  I'm glad you're getting suggestions before a purchase which is what my daughter and I should have done.

On the same subject I'd like to know if anyone else is using or has used a fan bike. 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »
My daughter had one from Sears and it became a handy clothes hanger and all around storage shelf.  It never really worked right and you had to keep taking off the rollers and adjusting them.  I'm glad you're getting suggestions before a purchase which is what my daughter and I should have done.

On the same subject I'd like to know if anyone else is using or has used a fan bike. 

I did, at one time. It was OK. Do you already own a bike?? If so, I'd recommend one of these: https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/97552/

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
I did, at one time. It was OK. Do you already own a bike?? If so, I'd recommend one of these: https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/97552/

I've seen those before, but since we don't have bikes never looked at them.  I went to the link and that unit sounds great and got pretty good ratings. 

My husband just ordered the fan bike from Amazon; a cheapy called the Body Rider.  It had fair ratings and I hope it lasts long enough for us to get some use from it.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
We have one in the garage.  My son and neighbor run on it regularly.  I've just started to walk on it again.

It's a neat thing.  It has memory, fans on it.  It's rugged, able to handle big weight well. 

It's one like this :

http://www.americanlisted.com/florida_9/sport_54/nordictrack_c2000_treadmill_12542843.html

We bought it about 10 years ago.  It was $900 at the time. That thing runs like brand new still.

Selling one for $250 is a fantastic deal.