Author Topic: gardening primitives give plants a milk bath  (Read 1581 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
gardening primitives give plants a milk bath
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=246x13557

Oh my.

beac  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jul-25-10 01:16 PM
Original message

A toast to Lyric!

A MILK toast, that is.

Lyric, I've mentioned before in various posts how your milk bath tip saved my garden this year, but I wanted to post this special thanks for sharing your grandmother's secret with us and make sure you knew how helpful it's been in a previously frustrating gardening year. It's an absolute miracle. It brought my squash and zucchini back from the brink of death. My peppers are growing big and healthy and I've just eaten my first tasty cherry tomatoes. I'm using it on everything, including my tomato rootings that are not flowering yet (don't tell grandma...) but still LOVE their milk!-- This evening will be my third "bathing" of the season.

So cheers to you, Lyric, sharer of wisdom and savior of struggling veggies!

amerikat  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jul-25-10 10:55 PM
Response to Original message

1. We are preparing a milk bath for the effeced plants in our community garden. Rain for the last 2 days have pushed back the application.

But we should be ready to spray tomorrow. We are being cautious and will only spray some sections and wait to see the results.

I knew about this technique from DU. The woman doing the spraying got it from some other garden forum.

If you do a google search for milk bath.......goes right to DU post from Lyric.

Bravo.

beac  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jul-25-10 11:14 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I've been following Lyric's method of "bathing" only the roots (i.e. pouring the milk water on the soil), but I have since read about spraying the leaves too to prevent mildew, etc.

Viva_La_Revolution  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jul-28-10 10:08 PM
Response to Original message

3. I want to chime in too!

We had a wet, cold spring and most of my garden was drowning, little growth and sickly yellow. Within 24 hours of spraying the milk PLUS a generous pinch of epsom salts and they were markedly greener. They are now dark green and going gangbusters.

Hmmm.

franksolich always knew milk was healthy, the healthiest food possible, but I never suspected it would be healthy for foliage too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: gardening primitives give plants a milk bath
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:54:45 AM »
I've seen people use excess milk on their crops.  It seems to work for them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:01:34 AM »
Coconut milk, that's the ticket. Got plenty of auxins and gibberellins that a growing plant needs.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember my mother would "wash" her indoor plant leaves with milk. She would use cotton balled up and dipped in a bowl of milk, and clean off the leaves...always said it was good for them, and it made the leaves shiny.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
I'd never heard of this.  It has to be non-fat powdered milk, half cup to 7 liters of water or some such.  They seem to swear by it.  Hmm. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »
I wonder what the vegans on the island think about this -- using an animal product to improve the health of food crops ?

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:15:21 PM »
I wonder what the vegans on the island think about this -- using an animal product to improve the health of food crops ?

:hammer: shame on you for injecting some logic into this!!!  [/dummie ]
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
Anything that improves the size and strength of a DUmmy's copious pot buds is a good thing - vegan falsehoods or otherwise.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »
Spraying a milk/water solution will stop powdery mildew very effectively.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Milk may indeed inhibit mildew.. I do not know.

But plants cannot gain any nutrients from milk. They are plants, not baby cows.

The water in the milk is utilized as water.

Unless you have a dairy farm with lots of unsold milk to dispose of, this seems like a huge waste of money.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »
Milk may indeed inhibit mildew.. I do not know.

But plants cannot gain any nutrients from milk. They are plants, not baby cows.

The water in the milk is utilized as water.

Unless you have a dairy farm with lots of unsold milk to dispose of, this seems like a huge waste of money.

I think this technique is part science and part myth personally. For example - when I was in high school I worked in the meat & deli department of an IGA market, and every couple of months a Portuguese gentleman would come in and buy the fattiest piece of salt pork he could find.

To feed to his fig trees.

Logic dictates that all he was doing was fertilizing the ground with decaying meat, and that any commercial fertilizer would have a similar effect without making ones garden reek of death... But for whatever reason it seemed to work, as he managed to grow many many figs.

BTW, I can only imagine he had a greenhouse to grow them in - as there is no way in hell anyone in New England is going to grow any figs naturally.. That greenhouse must have smelled awesome..   :rotf: