Author Topic: Along for the Segway polo ride with Woz  (Read 1000 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Along for the Segway polo ride with Woz
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
I saw this buried on ESPN.com's home page (waay down at the bottom) and figured that it'd be worth a hoot.

Along for the Segway polo ride with Woz

By Mary Buckheit
Special to ESPN.com
Archive | Contact

With the FIFA World Cup kicking off in South Africa, you probably missed the unapologetically less grueling, but distinctly geek-a-licious global competition that crowned a champion last week off the coast of Venezuela, in the island nation of Barbados.

On a pristine pitch surrounded by Caribbean seas, fans were lulled through four days of competition, not by the deafening blare of vuvuzelas, but rather, a sweet ocean breeze and the gentle hum of zero-emissions electric motors.

Eight teams from around the globe met with mallets in hand and Segways underfoot to compete in the Woz Cup Challenge, affectionately known as the World Cup of Segway Polo (a form of polo that replaces actual horses with 2-horsepower, battery-powered human transporters).

The tournament is named after the man who has become the (inter)face of the sport. An early adopter of Segway Inc.'s human transporter, Apple Computer co-founder Steve Wozniak has been a vocal proponent of the innovation and amusement to be had behind the Segway's handlebar.

"I think I might actually be the first person to have purchased a Segway. Others got them before me for free because they wrote essays about how it was going to change the world, but I loved the concept from the very beginning and I bought one right away," said Woz, who now owns some 10 Segways. "I loved it so much I bought another one so I could do it with family members, then I bought a couple more for friends. Between my wife and I, who also plays, we now have about 10."

Ooooooookay. :mental: ::)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/news/story?id=5294236&ex_cid=LIFEPHOTOMODULE_thelifesegway
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.