Author Topic: primitives discuss Republicans taking over Congress  (Read 1595 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss Republicans taking over Congress
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:02:08 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7697278

Oh my.

But it's too early for the primitives to be pessimistic; November's a long time away yet.

TwixVoy  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-11-10 11:36 PM
NON-DONOR TO SKINS'S ISLAND!
Original message

Poll question: What will happen if the republicans take power after the mid-terms this year?

Let us assume that we see a massive voter backlash for whatever reason. (i.e. continued loss of jobs, etc)

Let's assume the republicans take the house. It is unlikely they will take that many senate seats, but let's assume we lose at least a few in the senate. Let's also assume that they pick up various seats in the state races around the country.

This thread IS NOT TO DEBATE IF THIS WILL HAPPEN OR NOT.

This is for discussion about what will happen to this country IF IT DOES.

Poll result (52 votes) 

The economic "recovery" will nose dive and we will see a 2nd great depression  (3 votes, 6%)

Because we still hold the senate and the white house the status quo will maintain and little will be done  (3 votes, 6%)

Even though we have the white house and keep the senate the dems will roll over to every demand from the republican house  (14 votes, 27%)

Very little will change at the federal level, but because they gained seats in many states the states begin to go to hell (i.e. many states go bankrupt)  (3 votes, 6%)

Some combination of all of the above  (22 votes, 42%)

None of the above  (7 votes, 13%)

NRaleighLiberal  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-11-10 11:38 PM
Response to Original message

1. Other. I will drink heavily and my wife and I will become total hermits.

GA_ArmyVet (275 posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 06:14 AM
Response to Reply #1

13. What will happen I belive is this

Nothing of substance really will change....Nothing really happened when we took over.. Perhaps the illusion of some attempted legislation for reform of some sort to some industry, but in my opinion no landmark change has occured. In fact it appeared to me as if the government just kept on as a business as usual approach.

Toots (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 09:23 AM
Response to Reply #13

18. So you consider 112 filibusters a year to be business as usual?

When Republicans went on a rampage over Democrats filibustering, they called it unprecedented and immoral and yet Democrats filibustered less than sixty times. Republicans were going to go with the nuclear option unless Democrats swore they wouldn't filibuster. Of course democrats did exactly that and Republicans went on to drive America to it's knees. They didn't finish the job though, so they are out to kill her off completely.. Remember "they want to take their country back, while we want to take our country forward."

GA_ArmyVet (275 posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 06:47 PM
Response to Reply #18

19. It is not the number that I am talking about..

I just no longer believe that either party believe what it espouses to believe, that both want to maintain the status quo, with little gains for each to appease their members...I dont think either party care one little bit about the people they serve...
Sorry, I am a bit loaded with cynicism today. Perhaps tommorow, my outlook will improve...

FrenchieCat  (1000+ posts)         Thu Feb-11-10 11:41 PM
THE STENCHY CAT PRIMITIVE

2. We will be deeply ****ed, and we will have earned it.

EarlG ADMIN  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-11-10 11:50 PM
LORD MARBLEHEAD

3. Other

Endless investigations into ACORN and the whereabouts of the presidential birth certificate.

GreenStormCloud (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:01 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. No, they learned from the Clinton impeachment disaster.

That stunt cost them a LOT of political capital, and gained them nothing. They won't make that mistake again. They will smile at Obama and pretend to want to cooperate with him, while stabbing him in the back - like they do now - except more so. They will want him to be more accommodating to them on judicial appointments, especially SCOTUS.

ACORN will get screwed, but more subtly.

When they took power in 1994 they had been out of power for about 40 years, and thought of themselves as an opposition party. So they continued to act as an opposition party for a while. Now, they have had almost a generation of being in power, and practiced in its use. They are more dangerous than the crop of 94.

EarlG ADMIN  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 12:34 AM
LORD MARBLEHEAD
Response to Reply #5

7. I dunno

The House of Representatives is full of batshit crazy people who won't be able to resist the opportunity to get in some grandstanding while trying to throw dirt on Obama's wholesome image. The media will lap it up. Plus I suspect that conservatives think that what they did during the Clinton years was actually awesome.

I agree with you that they are dangerous.

GreenStormCloud (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 01:01 AM
Response to Reply #7

9. Let us hope that we don't have to find out.

subterranean  (987 posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:02 AM
Response to Reply #3

6. I agree with this.

They would immediately start looking for a reason to impeach, like they did with Clinton.

TexasObserver  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 03:21 AM
Response to Reply #3

12. Agree. The GOP will investigate everyone associated with the president.

They won't take impeachment off the table, either.

The president has to stop treating the GOP like they're unruly children who just need more love and direction.

GreenStormCloud (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-11-10 11:51 PM

4. Basically, gridlock and status quo.

However, many in the Democratic party may drift a bit to the right in areas where they can afford to do so.

Luciferous  (402 posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:38 AM

8. The Dems are already rolling over and giving in to the demands of the Republicans, so I don't think much would change... although the rolling over might actually get worse.

demosincebirth  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-12-10 02:02 AM

10. Won't happen.

Hawkowl  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 02:59 AM

11. Obama will officially switch parties in the name of bipartisanship....

Proud Liberal Dem  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-12-10 07:18 AM
Response to Reply #11

16. That migt not be such a bad idea

Then the Republicans will all officially switch parties and become Democrats!

Incitatus (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 06:24 AM

14. IF they do, they better take at leat 60 seats in the Senate

Apparently, that's what it takes to get anything done.

DailyGrind51  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 07:08 AM

15. Either Pres. Obama gets a clue or "we" find another candidate who does to run in 2012!

Proud Liberal Dem  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-12-10 07:26 AM

17. They will make (at least) the following two years a living nightmare for President Obama

I don't believe that they would be able to take enough seats to pass legislation or at least override a Presidential veto but the Democrats wouldn't be able to get anything but HEAVILY "watered down" legislation through but that'll be o.k. for the Republicans because they'll be investigating any Obama "scandal" or "impropriety" alleged by Rush, Glenn, Hannity, et. al.

There will also likely be endless investigations focused on ACORN and Obama's supposed "ties" to it. They won't find anything, of course, but that will NOT stop them from trying. The "silver lining" (if there would be one) for Obama and the Democrats IF the Republicans take power after the midterms is that it will remind people of what the GNOP "agenda" really is and how bad it is and give President Obama and the Democrats LOTS of ammunition for 2012.

butterfly77  (1000+ posts)     Fri Feb-12-10 07:06 PM
Response to Reply #17

21. a combination of all of the above..

and what you said and the Dems will really show their asses then. All of the hidden bluedogs/Republicons will then think that the people are really behind the repubs and then they will do everything they want.

The repubs will then hype up the lies that the people are on their side and then the final destruction will begin. When the people who believe the republiCON bullshit then finally realize what has really been going on then it will be too late..

Proud Liberal Dem  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-12-10 07:23 PM
Response to Reply #21

22. That's what I'm really afraid of too

I'm not sure 2010 is going to be the "sweep" for the Repubs that 1994 was, at least if the polling data remains mostly the same. The *logic* of putting the same party whom most people believe are responsible for the sorry state of affairs in this country back in any semblance of power seems mystifying to me but I suspect that the negative trend against Democrats has more to do with a general anti-incumbency feeling and anger that not much is being accomplished rather than a desire for Republican *solutions*.

McCamy Taylor (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 06:49 PM

20. The same thing that is already happening. It will take an administration change to have a significant effect on the country, given the way all power has been concentrated in the executive branch.

Which is why I still support Obama.

Oh, his re-election will be easier if the GOP controls at least one branch of Congress, cause America will blame both parties and re-elect him on the principle that 1)he is a nice guy and 2) it is not his fault. So, I do not see Obama pulling out all the stops to keep Dems in control. But I still have to support him, because Jeb Bush or Rick Perry in the WH would be a disaster.

A disaster for the primitives, a godsend for America.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives discuss Republicans taking over Congress
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »
EarlG ADMIN  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 12:34 AM
LORD MARBLEHEAD
Response to Reply #5

7. I dunno

The House of Representatives is full of batshit crazy people who won't be able to resist the opportunity to get in some grandstanding while trying to throw dirt on Obama's wholesome image. The media will lap it up. Plus I suspect that conservatives think that what they did during the Clinton years was actually awesome.

I agree with you that they are dangerous.

For an admin there you are really stupid.
The Nobel prize fiasco made even semi sane leftys cringe that it was given to such an empty suit moron as O.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
Oh, his re-election will be easier if the GOP controls at least one branch of Congress, cause America will blame both parties and re-elect him on the principle that 1)he is a nice guy and 2) it is not his fault. So, I do not see Obama pulling out all the stops to keep Dems in control. But I still have to support him, because Jeb Bush or Rick Perry in the WH would be a disaster.

Yeah because blaming someone else is working so well now and nobody would expect a president to actually take responsibility and work on a problem when he can give speeches telling everyone what a great guy he is and how it's Bush's fault. Besides if he had a stronger spine he wouldn't be able to bow to the other world leaders.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:29:38 PM »
For an admin there you are really stupid.

That's standard for Lord Marblehead, being stupid.

I could never figure out why my fellow alum Skins and the elusive enigmatic Elad haven't tossed Lord Marblehead off the island.  He's just really stupid, and drags the other two down.

If they threw him out, the other two could divvy up the profits 50-50, rather than having to share them with a third person.

In case you didn't know this, five years ago Skins and Elad were out to lunch, leaving Lord Marblehead in charge of things at the office.  That's when Doug's ex-wife made her request to launch the Scamdal, and Lord Marblehead, the only figure of authority around at the time, said "okay."

I don't think my fellow alum and the elusive enigmatic one have left Lord Marblehead alone in the office since that day.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
Oh, his re-election will be easier if the GOP controls at least one branch of Congress, cause America will blame both parties and re-elect him on the principle that 1)he is a nice guy and 2) it is not his fault.
After one year and a three trillion dollar deficit, he's going to be re-elected because he's a nice guy?   :lmao:

If the GOP loses, it's because they deserve it.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »

I could never figure out why my fellow alum Skins and the elusive enigmatic Elad haven't tossed Lord Marblehead off the island.  He's just really stupid, and drags the other two down.

If they threw him out, the other two could divvy up the profits 50-50, rather than having to share them with a third person.

In case you didn't know this, five years ago Skins and Elad were out to lunch, leaving Lord Marblehead in charge of things at the office.  That's when Doug's ex-wife made her request to launch the Scamdal, and Lord Marblehead, the only figure of authority around at the time, said "okay."

I don't think my fellow alum and the elusive enigmatic one have left Lord Marblehead alone in the office since that day.

...and Andy might still be alive if not for that.

Weep DUmmies...Weep.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
...and Andy might still be alive if not for that.

Weep DUmmies...Weep.
:rofl: oh, the tangled web we weave...
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »
:rofl: oh, the tangled web we weave...

Now think about this for a second and connect the dots...

They clearly killed Andy and you might as well say at the same time silenced his cohort Bev Harris,who as Frank as said was just 10 dollars away from having effing Kerry sworn in as President.

It would seem that there is a DUFEE (DUmb **** evil empire) at work here.

Are  any of us really safe? :tinfoil:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
Now think about this for a second and connect the dots...

They clearly killed Andy and you might as well say at the same time silenced his cohort Bev Harris,who as Frank as said was just 10 dollars away from having effing Kerry sworn in as President.

Yes, sir, you are absolutely correct there.

The prominent vote-fraud investigator was just ten dollars away from proving that the Bostonian Billionaire had won Ohio in 2004, but was shut up when the malicious cartoon character primitive, the "KelvinMace" primitive, got her banned.

Some months earlier, the malicious cartoon character primitive had tried to cheat the prominent vote-fraud investigator on a book-publishing deal, and because she wouldn't let him cheat her, he hated her.

And she was just ten dollars away.

Talk about a personal enmity taking precedence over the common good.

Whenever the primitives whine and gnash their teeth that the Bostonian Billionaire was never president, all they have to do is blame one of their own, the malicious cartoon character primitive, who snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, with his pursuit of a petty vengeance.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »
while trying to throw dirt on Obama's wholesome image.

WTF are you talking about?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »

It would seem that there is a DUFEE (DUmb **** evil empire) at work here.
I'm confused. What part of your accusation is evil?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 05:08:21 PM »

Yep looks like Sinner took it into his own hands for the Notorious.p.i.g scam.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7663457

Dystopian  (1000+ posts)       Sun Feb-07-10 05:34 PM
Original message
A plea for emotional support & financial assistance for our friend and fellow DUer
 Required disclaimer: The administrators of Democratic Underground have given permission for one discussion thread on this topic. The administrators of Democratic Underground make no claims regarding the legitimacy or illegitimacy of this fundraising effort. Permission was granted by Skinner on 2/4/10, and the moderators have been notified.
As many of you know, DU member, the NotoriousP.I.G (Jennifer) recently became a young widow when her beloved husband, Markus (affectionately called HerrHerr) was recently killed in a terrible accident on an autobahn in Germany, the country in which they reside. Jennifer left the US to be with her future husband. Her future is now unknown. Please refer to the following links that were posted in the lounge for more information:

{snip}

And in the middle of a fundraiser no less.  With all these expendetures the rank and file will have little for the left wing candidates this fall.   :mental:
< watch this space for coming distractions >