Author Topic: primitives discuss non-telephonic health care  (Read 511 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss non-telephonic health care
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7699664

Oh my.

The little things that outrage the little primitive minds.

Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:38 PM
NON-DONOR TO SKINS'S ISLAND!
Original message

I now know WHY healthcare is so screwed in this country - rant to follow

I just tried to call my brother who is at a hospital on NYC, for chest pain. He evidently cannot turn his cell phone on in the hospital. And I cannot get in touch with him unless I agree to pay a TEN DOLLAR A DAY phone charge!

WTF????? I have never -- NEVER -- had any hospital charge me any sort of FEE for having a phone in my room so relatives from out of town can call me!!!

Excuse me??? For the amount of money these frigging hospitals charge just to lay in their damned beds they should not only provide a phone - they should provide a BODY to answer the damned thing for you!

I have to go punch something I'm so fed up. I had to hang up, because I really just wanted to start cursing EVERYONE out.

UNbelievable!

pnwmom (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:41 PM
Response to Original message

1. I wonder if he's in an area where pacemakers might be affected by using cell phones.

It does sound crazy; I've never been asked in a hospital to pay to accept phone calls either.

StarryNite (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:42 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. That wouldn't make sense because they will allow it $10.00.

pnwmom (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 01:29 PM
Response to Reply #3

10. Land lines don't interfere with electronic equipment, so it's not the same.

Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:43 PM
Response to Reply #1

4. that's probably why the cells are banned -- but to then CHARGE for a landline?

And the cow I had to talk to said they have charged that for 25 years? Uhh no dear, they have NOT. I ought to know, I get to call them at least once a year.

Chisox08  (921 posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 01:53 PM
Response to Reply #4

14. Last time I was in the hospital it cost $10 for the phone and $8 a day for the TV an Advil cost me $5 for on pill.

StarryNite (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:41 PM

2. WTF?!

That is ridiculous! I have never heard of such a thing but I bet it's going to be happening in hospitals everywhere now. They're treating your brother like an inmate instead of a patient.

yodoobo  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:43 PM

5. Phone and TV charges have been around for awhile.

I remember being pissed about it 20 years ago when I was in the hospital for a week.

daily tv charge and a daily phone charge.

Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:44 PM
Response to Reply #5

7. I've been in hospitals in Atlanta and LA and *never* been charged for phone service.

It's a courtesy!

Nothing in life is free.  Someone somewhere has to pay for something.

yodoobo  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:52 PM
Response to Reply #7

8. My hospital probably just got greedy earlier than most

Of course tv and phone charges are excluded for any insurance reimbursement too.

As they should be, as they're not medical expenses.

Most patients would be better off taking a few books to read while in the hospital, instead of watching the boob tube or chitchatting on the telephone anyway.

Blue Diadem  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 01:10 PM
Response to Reply #5

9. I ran into it years ago too, but not recently. 

The recent hospital stays were at different hospitals than those who charged us years ago.

Yep, I remember being ticked off too, phone and tv both were always extra charges. I was quite surprised there was no mention of it these last two times.

Christa  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 12:44 PM

6. Daylight robbery!   

Years ago I had to go to the emergency room as I had a horrific, blinding headache and as it was weekend, I had no choice. After numerous tests and scans it was determined I had a sinus infection.

The bill came to almost $7,000. It is out of control and insane.

aint_no_life_nowhere  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 01:44 PM

12. Soon they'll be charging for bags and blankets like the airlines

I recently had a medical procedure performed in a clinic. I agree to pay a certain amount to the doctor and a separate amount to the surgical center. I gave the doctor a check and then went to write one for the clinic. The amount the clinic charged went up dramatically in the two days after I made the arrangements.

I complained to the administative staff and told them they were charging me more than the doctor and I asked them what they were providing and whether it was more than just four walls in which the doctor could work. I'm uninsured and they appeared shocked that I would complain.

They said people with insurance usually don't bitch about the costs because their insurance usually takes care of it. They almost threw me out of the clinic when I told them that this kind of greed was ruining the country. Insurance companies are skinning us alive, but so are the actual medical providers.

blueworld  (777 posts)       Fri Feb-12-10 01:51 PM

13. Sorry to say hospitals in NJ were charging those fees decades ago

My mom died in 1989 and was in the hospital several times in the preceding years. I had to pay for the bloody phone & TV as well. The cell phones can interfere with ICU equipment (telemetry?) so I understand that, I suppose.

Wait until you look over your brother's itemized bill - you'll find a few more things to shock you, believe me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Specbid

Re: primitives discuss non-telephonic health care
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »
Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 12:38 PM
Original message

I now know WHY healthcare is so screwed in this country - rant to follow

I just tried to call my brother who is at a hospital on NYC, for chest pain. He evidently cannot turn his cell phone on in the hospital. And I cannot get in touch with him unless I agree to pay a TEN DOLLAR A DAY phone charge!

Where have these nitwits been? I paid this in 1979, and in 2009. One agrees to these charges when admitted.

Offline Specbid

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
aint_no_life_nowhere  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-12-10 01:44 PM

12. Soon they'll be charging for bags and blankets like the airlines...

They said people with insurance usually don't bitch about the costs because their insurance usually takes care of it. They almost threw me out of the clinic when I told them that this kind of greed was ruining the country. Insurance companies are skinning us alive, but so are the actual medical providers.

"Insurance companies are skinning us alive, but so are the actual medical providers." That's because the providers have to treat so many people who can't or won't pay. Thank the gov't, kids...thanks gov't.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 01:18:32 PM »
Cuban hospitals charge for laundering the bedsheets. They give you prescriptions for medicines that can only be bought in certain shops with foreign currency at prices Cubans can't dream of paying. Seriously that article I posted and TherealCuba.com site are scary.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »
During the Great Andyscam, before the round red faggot met his timely demise, dozens of DUmmies claimed to have had long cellphone conversations with him from his intensive care suite at Johns Hopkins, and all the while he was carrying on extensive e-mail correspondence from his laptop.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
During the Great Andyscam, before the round red faggot met his timely demise, dozens of DUmmies claimed to have had long cellphone conversations with him from his intensive care suite at Johns Hopkins, and all the while he was carrying on extensive e-mail correspondence from his laptop.

So the DUmmies are to blame for him not being able to afford medical care?  He had to spend the money on the phone bill?

Offline Specbid

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:52 PM »
So the DUmmies are to blame for him not being able to afford medical care?  He had to spend the money on the phone bill?

"We're just 10 dollars away from paying andy's phone bill for the day."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »
Christa  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-12-10 12:44 PM

6. Daylight robbery!   

Years ago I had to go to the emergency room as I had a horrific, blinding headache and as it was weekend, I had no choice. After numerous tests and scans it was determined I had a sinus infection.

The bill came to almost $7,000. It is out of control and insane.

Has anyone ever heard of a sinus infection being that bad or is this just another idiot over reaction to what normal folks could have dealt with?

Offline kenth

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of a sinus infection being that bad or is this just another idiot over reaction to what normal folks could have dealt with?

That's what I was thinking. I've had a sinus infection before. It hurt, but was more of a nuisance pain. I've also had blinding pain, and I understand why it's called blinding. My vision would white out for a couple of seconds, and I couldn't hear anything during that brief time. Even that level of pain was just particularly bad spikes of pain, and not constant, thank God. No amount of sinus pain has ever come close to even half the level of blinding pain.