Author Topic: Weep...  (Read 1363 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Weep...
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
...for the poultry:

amborin  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-11-10 12:31 AM
Original message
Denny's Acknowledges Suffering of Hens in Super Bowl Ad:

Denny’s Acknowledges Suffering of Egg-laying Hens in Super Bowl Ads

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - February 10 - It was meant to be a humorous promotion for a free breakfast, but the dark undercurrent of truth running through the trio of Denny's "Chicken Warning" Super Bowl ads did not go unnoticed by those familiar with the lifelong suffering of egg-laying hens. In the first 30-second spot, which is part of a new campaign created by Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Inc., Denny's introduces a brand advocate who invites viewers to enjoy a free Grand Slam breakfast, while warning chickens to get out of town because "it's going to be a tough week for egg layers." Gene Baur, president and co-founder of Farm Sanctuary, the nation's leading farm animal protection organization, had this to say about the spot:

"In a surprise move, Denny's, home of the Grand Slam breakfast, inadvertently delivered a powerful animal protection message to millions of Super Bowl fans during Sunday's game between the Saints and the Colts. I say ‘surprise' because it's not every day that a major restaurant chain makes a public acknowledgement (and during the Super Bowl no less!) of the animal suffering that goes into the creation of their menu items, but that is precisely what Denny's did with their ‘Chicken Warning' ads.

"Although the scenes of egg-laying hens relaxing at home and playing pool couldn't be further from the truth - they spend their entire lives on factory farms where they are packed so densely inside tiny wire cages and dark, filthy warehouses they can barely move or lift their wings - the spoken message that ‘it's going to be a tough week for egg layers' couldn't have been more spot on. The cruel way these sensitive, intelligent birds, and all farm animals, are treated on America's factory farms is incongruent with Americans' values of compassion. When the announcer says ‘it's a great day to be an American, bad day to be a chicken,' we should remember that we are a nation that has always prided itself on fighting injustice and reaching out to those in need, rather than tolerating the torture and abuse of individuals less powerful than ourselves. Regardless of whether or not people found the ads humorous, Denny's (however unintentionally) made the connection between animal suffering and the food on their menu, giving viewers a glimpse at the nasty truth behind eggs."

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=115x229786
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Weep...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
and here I thought they were just kinda dumb but funny commercials.... :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »
Have you ever watched a chicken run around outside?  You know what they do?  They search for food...and eat.  So if you stick them in a cage, they get to eat without the search...and this is somehow BAD?  Exactly WHICH chicken told them this?   ::)   :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »
No Justice, No Eggs.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 07:09:13 PM »
I KNEW when I saw those commercials....I could just tell.  I told the wife "look at how those chickens are being abused!"  We cried and cried.  I don't know if we even saw the final score ....

hehe.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
Damn! I always thought eggs came from an eggplant.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
The article was written by Meredith Turner at 646-369-6212 or mturner@farmsanctuary.org, an individual who's obviously mentally disturbed beyond the knowledge of the medical community to assist.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »
Female trouble.

Actually, Pink Flamingos.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:44:46 PM »
and here I thought they were just kinda dumb but funny commercials.... :thatsright:
I thought it was an advert for the long overdue sequel to Chicken Run.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
Have you ever watched a chicken run around outside?  You know what they do?  They search for food...and eat.  So if you stick them in a cage, they get to eat without the search...and this is somehow BAD?  Exactly WHICH chicken told them this?   ::)   :rotf:

Actually, it is, though there's not any better solution as yet. Searching for food gives them daily exercise and, like humans, makes them healthier. They also eat a better variety of foods when they search for their own. Ideally, you should free-feed a quality feed (I mix my own) and the ability to seek their own tidbits. I have some that will literally circle my feet when I'm digging in the garden just so they can get to the grubs. Others couldn't be bothered and would rather have seeds or grass. I have one, Hattie (she's a pet) who is just nuts about roly poly bugs and peanuts. Turn over a piece of wood with roly polys and she'll be your friend for life.

Quality can be seen in the color of the yolk and the taste. The yolks of farm-fresh eggs from free range hens are varying degrees of very bright yellow (depending on their diet) and taste much richer than the ones you buy in the store. It's very relaxing to watch a flock of chickens scratching and pecking. They're curious, industrious birds with quite diverse levels of intelligence and friendliness. I even have one breed (one of my favorites, in fact), Buckeyes, that are good mousers.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »

Quality can be seen in the color of the yolk and the taste. The yolks of farm-fresh eggs from free range hens are varying degrees of very bright yellow (depending on their diet) and taste much richer than the ones you buy in the store. It's very relaxing to watch a flock of chickens scratching and pecking. They're curious, industrious birds with quite diverse levels of intelligence and friendliness. I even have one breed (one of my favorites, in fact), Buckeyes, that are good mousers.

Cindie

They should put the boxed in chickens on treadmills

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
Actually, Pink Flamingos.

Where's Mr. Eggman when you need him?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
Actually, it is, though there's not any better solution as yet. Searching for food gives them daily exercise and, like humans, makes them healthier. They also eat a better variety of foods when they search for their own. Ideally, you should free-feed a quality feed (I mix my own) and the ability to seek their own tidbits. I have some that will literally circle my feet when I'm digging in the garden just so they can get to the grubs. Others couldn't be bothered and would rather have seeds or grass. I have one, Hattie (she's a pet) who is just nuts about roly poly bugs and peanuts. Turn over a piece of wood with roly polys and she'll be your friend for life.

Cindie

So true!  I love it when the chicken-owning guy at work brings in a few dozen.  My frittatas are practically orange.  They taste soooo good.  My dream is to have some back yard chickens.  I'd like to get bantams though.  I love their cute little eggs.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »

Cindie

I really notice the difference in taste.  I like the yellow yolks much better than the orange ones.  Some people think I'm nuts, but I notice a definite difference.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 05:46:17 PM »
They should put the boxed in chickens on treadmills

LOL, maybe I'll try that when the weather gets nicer...could put mine on the deck. My guess chickens would be sailing through the air and end up really pissed at me.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams